PDA

View Full Version : E-Series cameras - New firmaware updates

CaptainD
20th November 2007, 05:37 PM
FYI,

Olympus have released today some firmware updates for many of the E series cameras. Mostly the firmware upgrade deals with the new EC-20 but on the E-510 there are some improvements to the IS at low shutter speeds. I have upgraded my E-1 to version 1.5 and my E-510 to version 1.2 this afternoon. Hopefully this will give you the cofidence to ugrade although I have not taken any pictures to see if the IS is noticeably better. The link below is for the DPreview web page which I found the news on.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0711/07112003olyfirm.asp

All the very best

Chris

CaptainD
20th November 2007, 05:52 PM
I just thought you all may like a link to the Olympus website for the firmware upgrades.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Regards

Chris

theMusicMan
20th November 2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks Chris

It might be a good idea to have a check-list and how-to re upgrading the E-series firmware for those not too confident at so doing. I haven't applied any firmware upgrades to my E-510 as yet, but will do so as soon as I find out how to do this... :)

CaptainD
20th November 2007, 07:56 PM
Dear John,

I upgraded my E-510 by using the Olympus Master software that was supplied with the camera. If you follow the Olympus link I have posted and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find some "How to" links for different cameras which are very good. I upgraded my E-1 using the Olympus viewer software just because I have always done it this way. If you would like any further assistance please just ask, firmware upgrades are always a nerve trembling exercise especially with some of the warnings the software gives!!

Best regards

Chris

Barr1e
20th November 2007, 08:02 PM
Dear John,

I upgraded my E-510 by using the Olympus Master software that was supplied with the camera. If you follow the Olympus link I have posted and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find some "How to" links for different cameras which are very good. I upgraded my E-1 using the Olympus viewer software just because I have always done it this way. If you would like any further assistance please just ask, firmware upgrades are always a nerve trembling exercise especially with some of the warnings the software gives!!

Best regards

Chris

CaptainD - thanks.

Both E-510's have been upgraded.

Regards. Barr1e

theMusicMan
20th November 2007, 08:17 PM
Hmmmm... I just tried launching Olympus Master and it's asking me for the serial number...? Where can I find this please folks...?

CaptainD
20th November 2007, 08:44 PM
Dear John,

I have to admit when I installed the bundled Oly Master package I chose the register later option because I came across the same issue with a serial number being required. As I understand the only advantage of registering is to get online alerts etc. The Oly Master software is not a time limited demo like the othe bundled Studio package. I assume the idea of this was to allow things like firmware updates to be completed without buying anything. Rather like including the Olympus viewer software with the E-1.

Hope this is of help

Chris

theMusicMan
20th November 2007, 09:04 PM
The thing is... I don't get the option to register later, as soon as I select cancel the programme closes!

Heellpp!!

Ian
20th November 2007, 10:32 PM
Here is the belated Four Thirds User news update, with links to each model-specific upgrade page.

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/11/esystem_dslr_firmware_upgrades_for_ec20_converter. php

Ian

j.baker
20th November 2007, 11:00 PM
BTW, there is an update for the e-400 as well.