PDA

View Full Version : Low light primes

David.M
7th April 2010, 07:36 AM
I'm thinking of buying a wide angle prime lens for use in low light conditions and I've looked at two Sigma lenses so far, the 24mm f/1.8 EX DG and the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM. They're both around the same price and wondered if anybody could shed some light on to the pro and cons of either lens or if anyone could recommend any other lenses?

benvendetta
7th April 2010, 12:11 PM
Neither of these will be wide angle on an Oly. The 30mm will be 60mm (35mm equivalent, and the 24mm 48mm). As far as I know there are no wide angle primes available for 'normal' 4/3rds bodies. There is a 17mm (34mm) f2.8 for micro 4/3rds though but I don't think they will fit normal 4/3rds.
Your best bet for wide angle would be the 11-22mm ZD, which is often referred to as an 11mm prime (22mm) as it is soooo good. Yeah, I know that it is not as fast as the Sigmas, and therefore not as usable in low light but there is nothing (?) else around. As you have an E-30 the 'better' high ISO performance may compensate. The 11-22mm is quite pricey new but you may get one S/H around the price of the Sigmas (400).