PDA

View Full Version : Website

bazza2764
4th April 2010, 08:08 PM
Hi All,
wondered if you guys and gals wouldn't mind giving me an opinion of a website im working on, please bear in mind i don't do this for a living even tho there are some pictures of dance shows (yes i have permission to have the pictures on my website via the company i take the shots for) anyhow i would like your opinions good or bad ha-ha

http://www.barryhunterphotography.co.uk/
Thanks

theMusicMan
5th April 2010, 07:23 AM
Hi Barry

Well, I have to say it most certainly is unique - I've not seen any photography site, come to think of it... I've not seen ANY site with that template/design. I think it works well though and just are only a few minor things I would consider thinking about;

1 - the downward movement of the buttons on hover: not sure about that, they do move some considerable way downward when hovered on.
2 - the edge/border applied to each of the images: some people consider this spoils an image i.e. adding a border to it. The grunge look is OK, but would you apply that to every one of your images...? Is there a way you could have the border effect but not apply that to the image and have the image 'inside' the border?
3 - is there a way to pause/stop the slideshow? I like the speed of transition, but if I like an image and want to look at it for longer or study it further I can't!

There, hope these comments help.

John

bazza2764
5th April 2010, 07:41 AM
John thanks for the comments, having others look at it and be able to spot things is exactly what i wanted.
I will have a play around today and try to make some changes because i agree with your comments now you have pointed them out, as its a free web design thing im not sure how much control i have but i will certainly look at them.
Thanks

theMusicMan
5th April 2010, 07:45 AM
No probs Barry. I'll have another look when you're done.

snaarman
5th April 2010, 07:51 AM
I agree that pause/play/ffd/rev buttons would be good on the slide show..

Unusual look though - eyecatching

Pete

bazza2764
5th April 2010, 08:37 AM
Hopefully you wont need to pause as im changing it to a manual page selection using the matrix format i get more pictures per album, so thats cool :)

shenstone
5th April 2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Barry

Certainly an interesting site to look at - thanks for sharing

A couple of thoughts.

The Rockschool section is quite loud (obviously) and the wildlife and landcapes are more sedate, but the overall link between them doesnt reflect this seperation e.g. the contacts screen is more like the rockshool section

I wonder whether a clearer seperation may be better for your 2 audiences

Like you I use a flash based slideshow viewer on www.shenstone.me.uk (http://www.shenstone.me.uk), but I don't have the 2 seperate audiences to consider. I have added the play show (default) or manually advance options that are suggested and I agree that this is a good thing to be able to offer. The one on your site has a behavour that allows you to advance through the pictures on a page,but then you have to exit the full screen view and load up the next page before going back into full screen. I don't know whether that can be changed?

IMO I'm happy to have borders around pictures

Regards
Andy

bazza2764
5th April 2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments, i can now see whats happening, i think i need to explore some more and have a twiddle, i liked the way your site is set out Andy, so will try and sort it out over the next few days...... getting there is the phrase i would use for my site, i might use the grunge with the rockscool pics as it fits the theme. ....off to work on it some more :)

JackBenedict
5th April 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi All,
wondered if you guys and gals wouldn't mind giving me an opinion of a website im working on

I agree with John's comments exactly,however I would question your choice of picture on your home page - It really is awful when you have so many more good shots in your other galleries. to choose from.