PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Service Announcment, 12-60 SWD

R MacE
14th February 2008, 10:25 AM
Found this, thought it might be helpful.

Information Here (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_18859.htm)

Richard

Jim Ford
14th February 2008, 10:51 AM
Interesting - fortunately my lens is not in the serial number range.

I guess that most 12-60 SWD owners would have registered their lenses. It's a pity Olympus can't alert the registered owners that have affected lenses by email.

Jim Ford

art frames
14th February 2008, 11:22 AM
Thank you for posting - but not what I wanted

What a low key recall. Very low key as they know where I live.

My first lens - changed by digital depot was in that range :mad:
My second replacement lens - is also in that range. Thanks a bunch Olympus. :mad:

I wonder when they will admit the camera problem too. :(

I shall call digital depot and ask what they would like me to do! We are on first name terms about our kit. This lens has been fine so far but ...?

I am fed up with modern quality control as I am in the midst of exchanging a new Apple mac pro rig which was faulty on arrival.

Peter

Andrew Riddell
14th February 2008, 11:28 AM
Don't know if my lens serial number is in this range (will check at home tonight), but I've certainly got the autofocus problem. Luckily the dealer I bought the lens from (Camera World) readily agreed it was defective, and are happy to replace it as soon as they get stock.

My inclination is to let them do just that rather than put up with the hassle of getting the lens to Oly and ending up with a repaired item rather than one which worked from the start.

Andrew

Rawcoll
14th February 2008, 06:00 PM
In a way I find it reassuring that Olympus does consider there to be a potential problem with this lens. At least it vindicates (some of) the findings reported on forums, and hopefully means that the Oly technicians aren't going to be stabbing in the dark. Mine is currently at the Oly hospital along with my 510 and 14-42 kit lens because of front focusing problems (see my earlier thread on the 510 forum). But I do appreciate that it does present a dilemma for those of you with what appear to be properly functioning lenses but with serial numbers in the specified range. Mine, though, isn't included as it has an earlier serial number (though of course it is still under warranty).

Ian

theMusicMan
14th February 2008, 07:16 PM
I am fed up with modern quality control as I am in the midst of exchanging a new Apple mac pro rig which was faulty on arrival.

Peter
Wow Peter, that's some fault if you experienced this with Apple who are usually exceptionally good.

What Mac system did you buy...?

Invicta
14th February 2008, 09:36 PM
Found this, thought it might be helpful.

Information Here (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_18859.htm)

Richard

Great find Richard. Hope those affected get a quick turn round from Oly.

andym
14th February 2008, 09:47 PM

I guess that most 12-60 SWD owners would have registered their lenses. It's a pity Olympus can't alert the registered owners that have affected lenses by email.

Jim Ford

I agree with Jim.Olympus has a list of all lens's registered with the along with the owners e mail address.

Seems little point being registered if they cannot mail to people individually(apart from the freebies)

Ijay37
14th February 2008, 09:55 PM
Do the serial Nos run consecutively? If so thats 5272 lenses with a possible problem. My 12-60 is outside the range defined.
John

Andrew Riddell
14th February 2008, 10:21 PM
Yup, checked my serial number and it's right in the bracket Oly quote:( I still feel inclined to let the dealer replace rather than Oly mend:confused: although I'll sure check the replacement before it's out of the shop:rolleyes:

Andrew

DerekW
15th February 2008, 03:42 PM
Within two weeks they claim for the lens repair -
My dead E3 was sent to Oly Watford on the 1st of Feb, it was booked into the system on the 11th Feb, now in Portugal for repair due back in another week or two. A whole month to repair a brand new camera -

250swb
26th February 2008, 10:21 PM
Within two weeks they claim for the lens repair -

Tell me about it. They got my 12-60mm on 15th Feb (the day after the recall went out), didn't look at it until the 20th, then quote the 12th MARCH(!) for a repair date. Nearly a full month isn't "within two weeks" by any stretch of the imagination. I have politely asked what the delay can be about as Olympus must have known likely demand to predict two weeks, but they won't answer, just give me the runaround telling me it is awaiting repair.

On the other hand people are reporting a two hour turn around in Hong Kong if the lens is booked in first, and five days from Sweden to Portugal and back again, and two days in the USA.

DerekW
27th February 2008, 10:26 AM
Telephone Marcus Cannon at Olympus Watford and explain your frustration

250swb
27th February 2008, 12:13 PM
Telephone Marcus Cannon at Olympus Watford and explain your frustration

Thanks Derek, but he is obviously a busy man because the email I sent to him was answered by somebody else with a service update, telling me my lens was in for repair, as if I didn't know..... If he can't be bothered to write a couple of lines it is an obvious case of 'feet on desk syndrome', and who am I to interrupt an extended lunch?

My frustration is that 'two weeks' was a good time to get the lens in quickly and back again before I am going away. If I had known it would be a month I would have held on, I could get it to work when it locked up, and knew what the problem was and what to look out for. I'm just thankful I didn't sell my 14-54mm.

Ian
27th February 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks Derek, but he is obviously a busy man because the email I sent to him was answered by somebody else with a service update, telling me my lens was in for repair, as if I didn't know..... If he can't be bothered to write a couple of lines it is an obvious case of 'feet on desk syndrome', and who am I to interrupt an extended lunch?

My frustration is that 'two weeks' was a good time to get the lens in quickly and back again before I am going away. If I had known it would be a month I would have held on, I could get it to work when it locked up, and knew what the problem was and what to look out for. I'm just thankful I didn't sell my 14-54mm.

Most of the Olympus people are at Focus on Imaging this week and were setting up last week.

Ian

250swb
27th February 2008, 10:16 PM
Most of the Olympus people are at Focus on Imaging this week and were setting up last week.

And that means the repair people as well, presumably? If Marcus Cannon can't reply to an email it still doesn't explain the one month 'estimated' turnaround time.

HOWEVER, I got an email tonight saying the lens was 'awaiting dispatch'. I suppose this means one of two things. You are supposed to give Olympus a round of applause for getting it back (hopefully) before the two weeks are up, OR, whining about it worked? I don't care, but honesty works, and if it isn't possible to simply stick to what is said throughout the intricacies of the recall process then something has gone wrong. If they said it was going to be a month I would have been happy, two weeks seemed good, so then why slap customers in the face with a cold kipper of an estimate?

Rens
6th April 2008, 10:44 AM

Ian

Working on attracting new customers rather than sorting problems for existing customers.

Happens all the time, of course, but still unethical.

Rens

David M
6th April 2008, 11:15 AM

Jim Ford

I never noticed this thread until someone bumped it.

Being a registered owner Olympus Canada did e-mail me with regard to the recall. But as my lens was outside the serial number range there was no need to have e-mailed me. I suspect they e-mailed all owners regardless of the serial number.

photo_owl
7th April 2008, 07:20 PM
Working on attracting new customers rather than sorting problems for existing customers.

Rens

not that unethical

no new business = no business = no support for existing customers both in terms of what they have and what they want going forwards

or put another way there shouold be a balance in there somewhere.

Rens
7th April 2008, 09:07 PM
You're right, of course, it isn't unethical. But it's poor business. And yes, there's a balance. While new business matters (not that it seems to bother Olympus judging by the E3 interface and ergonomics), keeping (most) existing customers happy is essential.

Partly ethics, partly 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' - repeat business generally takes less energy than generating new business.

Well, it works for me anyway.

Best wishes to all,

Rens

Ian
7th April 2008, 10:06 PM

Rens

Hang on... the 12-60 issues were unexpected and Olympus UK has limited staff and personnel, and they were committed to the show months in advance. In fact the show was a perfect opportunity to discuss the service issue with the people that mattered, face to face.

If you don't think Olympus UK and Olympus in general cared about the production issues with the 12-60 and the customers affected, then that's you problem. Email is not a perfect way of contacting customers. And has has been suggested, only a subset of customers register their equipment. I'm one of them - as far as I'm concerned, my purchase receipt is my legal right to warrantied service. The last thing Olympus want is unhappy customers and I see no evidence of their attitude being 'unethical'.

Ian

Rens
8th April 2008, 07:26 AM
Hang on... the 12-60 issues were unexpected......... and In fact the show was a perfect opportunity to discuss the service issue with the people that mattered, face to face.

If you don't think Olympus UK and Olympus in general cared about the production issues with the 12-60 and the customers affected, then that's you problem.
Ian

As stated in my previous response, I agree ' unethical' is too strong a word, but to say that if I (and presumably others) are unhappy with Olympus, thats our problem is not right either. If enough customers are unhappy and don't come back to Olympus for more gear, this becomes a problem for Olympus too.

And while the people they meet face to face matter, so do all their other customers. I had no possibility of attending the show; I hope this doesn't mean I matter less to Olympus.

I have in the past emailed a polite and constructive message about my problems, including a suggestion that firmware upgrades could solve them. So while I couldn't meet them face to face, I have attempted contact. Of course, I can only guess whether it reached the relevent personnel. Apart from an aknowledgement from Olympus UK, I expected and received no answer.

As for the 12-60 issues being unexpected, of course they were. But every manufacturer knows (or should know) there will always be some such problems, and these should be sorted with the minimum of resentment from existing customers.

Running a one man manufacturing business as I do, I'm aware of the importance of customer loyalty and how to retain or lose it. It's easy to see how those in larger organisations can lose sight of this their in day to day operation, but it should be someone's job to keep an eye on it. Keeping people happy by quoting quick turnaround for warranty repairs is short sighted to say the least.

Quoting a realistic longer time may induce initial grumbles, but nothing like the resentment created by drastically exceeding the estimated time.

My own reservations are concerning the E3 AF; I've no reason to think there's a problem with either my 12-60 or 50-200 lenses. They're both excellent. I gather Olympus has a good record of firmware upgrades, so I look forward to some of the idiosyncracies of the E3 and its AF being smoothed out.

Olympus have very bravely gone out on a limb with their four thirds DSLRs, and I wish them well. This doesn't mean any shortcomings should be hushed up and perpetuated. They should be aired and resolved.

Rens

DerekW
8th April 2008, 09:53 AM
OLympus Service to people in the UK is a not very good.

Based on my experience with the E3 in February, it took a week for my camera to be registered on the Olympus repair system from dispatch by courier from the dealer.

It then took just under 4 weeks to get the camera swapped for a new one.

It appears that the Portuguese repair location did not have the required spare part and were prepared to wait for at least 3 weeks for the bits.

I had got so hacked off that I sent email and faxes to M Handa in Germany and then during my third telephone call to Olympus Watford to find out where my new camera was I mentioned that a solicitor friend of mine had said to me that a new under warranty camera should not be away for such a length of time and that not only was I due a replacement camera but I was also due compensation as well.

Later that day all the correspondence came together and I received a phone call from Marcus Cannon, I was promised a replacement camera within two days.

I was without the E3 for 4 weeks less one day for a brand new camera.

I do not think that that is good customer service.

Oh I and I did not get any compensation either.

In most cases it is only when the customer has a complaint does the supplier come in contact with the customer - it is their only opportunity to make a good first impression.

Ian
8th April 2008, 10:47 AM
OLympus Service to people in the UK is a not very good.

Based on my experience with the E3 in February, it took a week for my camera to be registered on the Olympus repair system from dispatch by courier from the dealer.

It then took just under 4 weeks to get the camera swapped for a new one.

It appears that the Portuguese repair location did not have the required spare part and were prepared to wait for at least 3 weeks for the bits.

I had got so hacked off that I sent email and faxes to M Handa in Germany and then during my third telephone call to Olympus Watford to find out where my new camera was I mentioned that a solicitor friend of mine had said to me that a new under warranty camera should not be away for such a length of time and that not only was I due a replacement camera but I was also due compensation as well.

Later that day all the correspondence came together and I received a phone call from Marcus Cannon, I was promised a replacement camera within two days.

I was without the E3 for 4 weeks less one day for a brand new camera.

I do not think that that is good customer service.

Oh I and I did not get any compensation either.

In most cases it is only when the customer has a complaint does the supplier come in contact with the customer - it is their only opportunity to make a good first impression.

I'm very sympathetic with your case, Derek. But I do think you were unlucky. Nothing of what I think will probably alter your view as you genuinely had a bad experience, but the facts are that the E-3 was a brand new camera to the service people, Olympus was stretched at that point with various issues as a lot of new products were being introduced over a short period, and it was (if I recall correctly) a time of year when a people were on holiday. And although this is no comfort, I hear very similar stories from time to time from Canon and Nikon users. There are also positive stories, of course and I can count my experience in this category. I dropped an E-330 with 14-54 attached and the zoom mechanism locked solid on the lens. It was repaired and returned well inside 2 weeks.

But I will bring your case and this thread to the attention of Olympus UK and seek some feedback on what should be expected for best practice service-wise.

Ian

Melaka
8th April 2008, 11:47 AM
As mentioned on another thread my E3/HLD4 is back with Olympus for the second time due to its failure to work with AAs and the LBH-1. The forecast time for repair is three weeks, which is about what it took the first time. I've made clear I will require a replacement if they don't get it to work this time. We all know that things will go wrong from time to time but we judge an organisation largely by how well it deals with snags of that nature. It's bad enough to have to send the kit back a second time with the same defect and estimating three weeks to repair adds insult to injury.

DerekW
8th April 2008, 12:18 PM
The big issue is the three week turnround time when in the US it is a matter of a few days turnround at the service centres there. If one reads the US oriented forums.

Rens
8th April 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm very sympathetic with your case, Derek. But I do think you were unlucky.I hear very similar stories from time to time from Canon and Nikon users. There are also positive stories, of course and I can count my experience in this category. Ian

Unlucky, yes, any of us can be unlucky and get defective products, no company can achieve 100% perfection. But waiting so long for resolution of the defect isn't unlucky, it's an Olympus problem.

As for similar delays with Canon and Nikon, that could well be. It's not really relevent to those with Olympus problems.

I see the main purpose in airing concerns on this and other forums as sharing information, solving problems, and alerting manufacturers to dissatisfactions so they can improve both products and service.

I'm pleased to hear Ian is alerting Olympus UK to this thread, it's a positive move.

Still very happy with my E3 overall.

Rens

art frames
8th April 2008, 01:08 PM
I have a question to raise via Ian of Olympus if I can

I have a 12-60 which is in the batch to be looked at. It is a shop replacement to the 12-60 I had initially which was (along with the E3) faulty.

This new lens did not appear to be faulty and I saw no urgent need to have it looked at whilst there were other more urgent cases ahead of me and Portugal, no doubt, deluged with lenses. (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=7388&postcount=3)

Is it now the right time to get it looked at?

This is a genuine request to get the best result I can expect. I have no problem waiting for a better time as I don't believe it has any fault visible at the moment. I am not sure if I asked I would be speaking to anyone senior enough to be straight with me. But I have had my dose of pain with the E3 and want it smooth as I can in the future.

Ian is that something your contacts would be able to give an definite (maybe off-line) answer to.

Thanks

Peter

Ian
8th April 2008, 02:41 PM
As mentioned on another thread my E3/HLD4 is back with Olympus for the second time due to its failure to work with AAs and the LBH-1. The forecast time for repair is three weeks, which is about what it took the first time. I've made clear I will require a replacement if they don't get it to work this time. We all know that things will go wrong from time to time but we judge an organisation largely by how well it deals with snags of that nature. It's bad enough to have to send the kit back a second time with the same defect and estimating three weeks to repair adds insult to injury.

I haven't followed up the AA battery issue but I haven't yet found anyone whose HLD-4 works with AAs of any description properly. It's not a problem for me as I use BLM-1s and have plenty of spares, but if it's advertised as working with AAs, it really should work with tham as claimed.

The latest E-3 firmware may improve things, but I haven't upgraded yet (advised not to until my own 12-60 was checked and although that was a while ago I just haven't got around to it).

Do update us all once you get your grip back.

Ian

Ian
8th April 2008, 02:41 PM
I have a question to raise via Ian of Olympus if I can

I have a 12-60 which is in the batch to be looked at. It is a shop replacement to the 12-60 I had initially which was (along with the E3) faulty.

This new lens did not appear to be faulty and I saw no urgent need to have it looked at whilst there were other more urgent cases ahead of me and Portugal, no doubt, deluged with lenses. (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=7388&postcount=3)

Is it now the right time to get it looked at?

This is a genuine request to get the best result I can expect. I have no problem waiting for a better time as I don't believe it has any fault visible at the moment. I am not sure if I asked I would be speaking to anyone senior enough to be straight with me. But I have had my dose of pain with the E3 and want it smooth as I can in the future.

Ian is that something your contacts would be able to give an definite (maybe off-line) answer to.

Thanks

Peter

Sure, I'll pass your question on.

Ian

Melaka
8th April 2008, 05:53 PM
I haven't followed up the AA battery issue but I haven't yet found anyone whose HLD-4 works with AAs of any description properly. It's not a problem for me as I use BLM-1s and have plenty of spares, but if it's advertised as working with AAs, it really should work with tham as claimed.

The latest E-3 firmware may improve things, but I haven't upgraded yet (advised not to until my own 12-60 was checked and although that was a while ago I just haven't got around to it).

Do update us all once you get your grip back.

Ian

Will do. Like you I don't have a great need for the AAs but nowadays we expect things to do what it says on the box. When I need to sell the E3 to fund the E4 I won't be able to advertise it as being in full working order if it isn't. I was on firmware 1.1 so that doesn't appear to be the problem.

art frames
24th April 2008, 06:29 PM
Sure, I'll pass your question on.

Ian

Ian

did they give you any reply?

Peter

Paulpp
24th April 2008, 06:47 PM
Although not the right thread any update on the AA battery issue would also be welcome

Melaka
25th April 2008, 06:57 AM
A month after I posted it to them the E3 and HLD-4 are with Olympus with an estimated reapir date of 23rd April - that's two days ago. See my posting on 'after sales service second to none' on the E3 threads for the saga. Maybe I'll find out in the next week or so whether the AAs work or not. Olympus say they are still waiting for parts from Japan. Lousy service overall.

Paulpp
25th April 2008, 07:45 AM
Despite wanting to be able to use AA's ( I hope to be in a very remote place with no electricity for a holiday) I hadn't tried using AA's until yesterday - no luck at all. Completely fresh batteries but immediately showed no charge. Would be interested in how you get on.