PDA

View Full Version : n'other faulty E-3 - eyepiece shutter.

mlc
26th March 2010, 04:49 PM
Just got back from a sortie around the local country park.

Getting low to get some wide-angle views of the daffs starting to come out, and with a dodgy back, I used live-view.

Got the pics, but when I tried to close the eyepiece shutter, it stuck. Tried again a few times and parts of the shutter just seemed to be loose, like some parts were sticking whilst the others either OK, or loose. In "normal" mode I now have about a third of the eyepiece obscured by a stuck shutter.

Anyone else had this?

I use the camera a fair bit, but it's not like I throw it about. Looks like I'm about to repeat Woofmix's experience:(

Anyone have that repair centre number to hand? [ edit - OK found the number - but they shut @ 4.30 dohh! Got to wait till Monday to talk to them. 2 year warranty I'm hoping will cover it]

E-3
26th March 2010, 06:01 PM
Oh, how annoying :( touch wood I have not experienced this problem, I do hope you get it sorted out quickly..........good luck :)

peak4
26th March 2010, 06:25 PM
Yep, I've had it a couple of times:(
I sent the camera back via my dealer under warranty and had it returned about 3 weeks later.
Subsequently after a couple more months it recurred:( another return via my dealer. I suspect this time they replaced the blind, having just re-set it the first time.
Unfortunately, whilst doing this, and replacing the LCD rear screen surround (unrequested by me), they must have dislodged a cable internally as the screen proceeded to flicker much of the time:(. Makes it a bit tricky shooting an airshow with only half a viewfinder.
This led to a replacement body, which except for having a trip to Portugal to replace the screen surround (at my request this time due to it splitting:() has performed faultlessly ever since:).
As an early adopter, I reasoned that since there was little difference in price wherever you bought it, I may as well get one from a local shop with a good reputation for service.
I must admit, they've been brilliant to deal with; sometimes it's worth paying a bit extra for good service. Harrison Cameras of Sheffield (http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/)

Kiwi Paul
26th March 2010, 07:03 PM
Good luck :-)

Paul

mlc
27th March 2010, 09:40 PM
Bill,

Thanks for that info - perhaps perversely I feel comforted that it has happened elsewhere - therefore a potentially known fault, because I can't remember having dropped the camera, or had a similar mishap.

Obviously not so comforted with your subsequent experiences tho - I had a really good experience with an OM4ti many years ago that went into Olympus repair at the London office, but now it's moved ...

Fingers etc crossed.

peak4
27th March 2010, 10:57 PM
Mark, don't let me put you off, I'd still buy another one if I lost mine. (always assuming the insurance paid out of course, and the E-5 hadn't been released :D)
It's not an unknown problem; I know it's been reported elsewhere too.
In my own opinion, there will always be someone who has a problem with any product of mass manufacture. The measure of the company is how well they deal with it.
Oly did me proud in the end, so I'll remain a loyal supporter, both of them and my local dealership.*chr

mlc
20th April 2010, 12:29 PM
So I've just received the camera back.

For the record, and in case anyone else has to go thru this process, I'll record the timings.

I had to wait from the Friday 26th (when the fault occurred, and missed Olympus repair opening times) to the Monday 29th March, to both speak to Olympus, and send it back, Special Delivery.

That bit appeared to be the long pole, as with Easter the following weekend, I didn't get a response until Tuesday 13th April (letter dated 9th). Paid over the phone (c. 86 - my 2-year warranty had expired :( ). And received today the 20th April.

So I make that a 3 week, 1 day turnround all told, with Easter in between, which I don't think was too shabby.

The camera is working (had a heart stopping moment when I put a dud battery back in - doh!), with the eyepiece shutter fixed, the eyepiece rubber much better fixed in place, and serviced with a 6-month warranty.

Part of me thinks this might be a fault tho, (since it has been evidenced elsewhere), and fixed for free?

One other bit of bad news is I have to re-set the menus and settings from new :eek:

ndl0071
20th April 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm glad to hear that you have solved your issue allbeit at a price.

My question in general would be "does opening and closing the shutter actually make any difference" in my opinion the answer is a resounding no, I use my E3 extensively in tandem with the E30 and only used the shutter thingy once or twice to realise I was wasting my time.

I wonder what other users think?

andym
20th April 2010, 08:22 PM

My question in general would be "does opening and closing the shutter actually make any difference" in my opinion the answer is a resounding no, I use my E3 extensively in tandem with the E30 and only used the shutter thingy once or twice to realise I was wasting my time.

Agreed ,never used it.

mlc
20th April 2010, 10:13 PM
Well the theory is that by closing the eyepiece shutter, you prevent any stray light entering the camera. This is because you no longer have your eye/head up against the eyepiece if you are looking at the live view screen.

I've always used it on my E3 and E-330. I wish I'd had one with my film cameras, because I felt I definitely had problems with exposure changes when using a shutter cable with tripod. But maybe film was/is more susceptible?

Especially when pointing the camera downwards, with the sun shining, I've thought this was asking for trouble.

I haven't tried live view without the eyepiece shutter closed up till now, so I can feel a test coming on. *yes

meach
21st April 2010, 12:18 AM

Here's a link to another thread on here which may be relevant:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8066

Personally I've never used either way of preventing light entering the viewfinder and don't feel it would have made any difference had I done so.