PDA

View Full Version : So, what would like to see in your E-3 successor...

theMusicMan
20th March 2010, 07:42 AM
Hi All

Well, so I hear, there's some talk now around various Oly media sites about an alleged replacement/upgrade for the Olympus E-3. For me, this creates an opportunity for some interesting discussion as to what we'd all like to see in any next generation E-3.

Personally, I am happy with my E-3 and on top of this, my photographic ability has not yet reached anywhere near the capability of the camera; however, this doesn't mean I wouldn't consider an upgrade. There is one critically important element in all this though, which is... for me, and replacement must at least, try to compete with the low light capability of the likes of the Nikon D700 etc. If Olympus bring out a new camera as a replacement for the E-3, as price of the E-3 at its launch was well over 1,200, I'd wager any launch price of its successor would be around the 1,500 mark - which is a similar price to the Nikon D700. OK, we have invested in a 'system', but at prices like that, what would you do...?

So - what are your thoughts as to the functionality you'd like to see in any E-3 replacement. Here's a few of mine;

Low Light: Much improved low light capability (usable images/no noise @1600)
AEB: Lots here. Custom i.e. my choice of - setting the number of shots to take, and the steps between them. Why is it, when I can manually adjust E/V +- 3 either side of the E-3 calculated correct EV, does Olympus limit me to only +-2 EV on AEB?. Also, why can I not take three shots at +-2EV i.e. -2, 0, +2 - which would suit me better. Currently I have to take 5 if I want to bracket at +2 -2. This is only a firmware change, as the camera is capable of doing +3 and -3 as an EV compensation when in A or S... so why not add this to the functionality in AEB...? Now I know I can do this manually (but only on a tripod because of the time to adjust the settings), but I would also like the capability to set my own brackets such as -5, 0 +2 - which I'd use for sunrise/sunset compositions - so I could then use this handheld, and store in a new MyMode!.
Frame Rate: much faster please.
My Modes: more of them, and more customisable elements too.
Bulb Mode: Presently, no metering information is shown on either screen. Why not show what the correct exposure should be (depending on mode), and also include a count down/up timer on the top and rear screens.
Built in WiFi: So I can send and upload pics at the time of taking, if needed, to my Mac/PC, in fact... anywhere.
Built in screen level: Include an on screen (viewfinder, rear and top) level indicator.

Don't need: Fancy 'Art' filters, video capability.

Thoughts...

Dogcow
20th March 2010, 08:20 AM
Fully agree with your points. No video, no fancy stuff.

And yes please to an easy way of geotagging pics.
And to the possibility to tether my camera with Aperture on the Mac....

Invicta
20th March 2010, 09:04 AM
My preferred feature set would be:

Dynamic Range - two stops more at least - having PP lots of Nikon photos I can see the lack of dynamic range in the current E-3 sensor.

14-bit raw file - less rounding errors in PP.

DNG native - option to save RAW in DNG format

Autofocus tuning - Should be a given as I think it is in the E-30

Mirror lock - Ability to lock mirror up for sequence of shots

Viewfinder - ability to see picture in 4:3 16:9 modes etc

Wreckdiver
20th March 2010, 09:36 AM
There are loads I'd like to see (which have been mentioned here in a similar thread a year or so ago) but if there was just one thing it would have to be a big improvement in noise performance and higher ISO values.

Steve

dj69
20th March 2010, 11:57 AM
A screen that doesn't come apart!!

David

Who's_E
20th March 2010, 12:12 PM
I agree, evolution not revolution. The E-3 is an awesome bit of kit. It is also over two years old so I would just like to see it get a bit faster and tweaked ergonomically.

On the technical side:

Autofocus switch: I really liked the C-AF, S-AF, MF switch on the E1 and that camera's ergonomics so some of that added would be good.

Tracking moving subjects: A bit more AF speed and a higher practical frame rate.

Sensor: Better all round performance. I understand that the E-3 actually has a good dynamic range. Thus better low-light performance to take the "photo" out of photograph.

Battery: A proper grip like the E-1 had, rather than a holder whose ergonomics is comprimised by the two-battery requirement.

On the software side:

Croptions: Not a big one, but the option to crop photos before taking them so that we can practise composing square photos and other formats. I only ask for this because it exists.

However, past experience is that companies listening to what existing consumers ask for don't bring on new customers so we may get something different!

Nick

E-3
20th March 2010, 02:00 PM
I would like to see a remote control sensor on the back of the camera (not just the front). A few more mega pixels would be good too, along with improved ISO & I personally would also like an intergrated battery grip. As for the price I think it should be no more than 1500 :)

Nick Temple-Fry
20th March 2010, 02:01 PM
Low Light: Much improved low light capability (usable images/no noise @1600)
AEB: Lots here. Custom i.e. my choice of - setting the number of shots to take, and the steps between them. Why is it, when I can manually adjust E/V +- 3 either side of the E-3 calculated correct EV, does Olympus limit me to only +-2 EV on AEB?. Also, why can I not take three shots at +-2EV i.e. -2, 0, +2 - which would suit me better. Currently I have to take 5 if I want to bracket at +2 -2. This is only a firmware change, as the camera is capable of doing +3 and -3 as an EV compensation when in A or S... so why not add this to the functionality in AEB...? Now I know I can do this manually (but only on a tripod because of the time to adjust the settings), but I would also like the capability to set my own brackets such as -5, 0 +2 - which I'd use for sunrise/sunset compositions - so I could then use this handheld, and store in a new MyMode!.
Frame Rate: much faster please.
My Modes: more of them, and more customisable elements too.
Built in screen level: Include an on screen (viewfinder, rear and top) level indicator.

Don't need: Fancy 'Art' filters, video capability.

Thoughts...

Totally agree with the increase in iso performance - though a little higher than 1600 and 'clean' would please me.

Not sure I understand the point highlighted in red, the e-3 allows selection of a range -5 to +5 (and therefore shooting from -7 to +7 on AEB {ev increment 1, AEB 5 shots} but needs multiple bursts with a reset of base value inbetween). I'd suspect everyones shooting needs will vary so I agree more customisation of the increments (and the number of shots) is a good idea.

(as a general point though I'd council against too large steps/gaps, Photomatix needs to find a good exposure for each tone/light level if it is not to generate noise)

No need to tie up memory/process space with art filters, though if access to applying them in Master was unlocked then that would be a compromise.

Nick

David M
20th March 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm in a very small minority. I don't care about high ISO performance as I rarely shoot above ISO400. I'd rather have ISO 25 or even slower as there are times I can't get a slow enough shutter speed without cutting the light down with filters.

What I'd like is a digital version of the OM4, aperture priority and manual exposure modes and multi-spot metering. And add the level gauge of the E-30 so I don't have to use a bubble/spirit level.

theMusicMan
20th March 2010, 05:43 PM
Not sure I understand the point highlighted in red, the e-3 allows selection of a range -5 to +5 (and therefore shooting from -7 to +7 on AEB {ev increment 1, AEB 5 shots} but needs multiple bursts with a reset of base value inbetween).
Does it????

Mine only allows max increment of 1, AEB 5 shots from -2 to +2.

OK, you can do what you suggest with tinkering, but I want it to do that without the tinkering as you cannot hand hold AEB shots if you have to tinker. It's a lot of tinkering to get -7 to +7 Nick. In fact, you can get as much as you want really using M - the display shows -5 to +5 but you can amend the shutter speed as many stops as you want (up to the limit of fastest shutter speed course).

Many of my AEB's are hand held, and it's the ability to do what I want as an AEB selection customisation that I would like.

I disagree with (or misundersand) your comment Nick, about having too large an EV step for Photomatix to work with without generating noise. I don't want the camera to limit what I want to be able to do Nick, and what Photomatix does or doesn't do - I could care less - its functionality (i.e. Photomatix) shouldn't impact camera functionality. The fact that noise may be generated in Photomatix should not stop Olympus implementing it. I have found that using the -2EV image bracket is often nowhere near enough to avoid white-out of the sun and some of its surroundings, and have sometimes (only if using a tripod at the time) taken a manual shot extremely underexposed... possibly -7 or -8 EV. Photomatix will allow you to work with any number of images at any value of EV... in fact, you can specify the EV value in Photomatix. The fact that it may introduce noise shouldn't proclude Olympus from including this functionality in any E-3 replacement firmware.

Graham_of_Rainham
20th March 2010, 07:40 PM
Real Time Metering - Equivalent to the OMs OTF in function.

Multi Spot Metering - Up to 8 points. Though I don't think I ever used more than 5 (most often 3 - 1 in the shadows 2 off the highlights)

I appreciate it's not at the top of everyones wish list but I used these quite a bit with the OM4Ti. The C8080WZ Has Multi Spot Metering so it should be easy to translate the subroutines across...

Please NO HD Video, I would not like to see a sensor improvement compromised just to optimise it for HD capability.

Mirror Lock-up, especially in Live View.

Adjustable grid lines to aid composition.

Dick Bowman
21st March 2010, 07:42 AM
Get rid of that stupid little popup flash.

Wreckdiver
21st March 2010, 10:26 AM
Get rid of that stupid little popup flash.

Unfortunately, that little popup flash is needed to trigger FL-50R in RC mode.

Steve

ndl0071
21st March 2010, 10:42 AM
I would like to see the next top of the range E? to come complete with a licensed operator who knows how to use all the programmes and how and when to twiddle all the knobs and dials in the right order:D

edmund473
21st March 2010, 11:21 AM
I am looking forward to the new flagship from Olympus and all the suggestions I certainly go along with I would just like to add the control buttons could be a little bigger the double battery grip Incorporated is a excellent Idea JohnR.

yorky
21st March 2010, 03:35 PM
Well, all these suggestions are very interesting, I'm sure Olympus will take some of them on-board to include in future models, but! Will anyone take better pictures with the new beast than they are already doing with the E3/E30? or will it be just a few more gimicks?

I love the E3, yes its heavy, that's why I bought it, and with a bit of thought it will do just about anything its called upon.

Last year, I enrolled on one of Dereck Forse's Olympus holidays, he and the Olympus technician had just about everything that oly made with them and encourageds us to use the camera's and lenses etc. Oh yes, they were used and very nice to able to use them, he also brought the then new EP1 along but it wasn't in much demand. However, I took it for a day and was impressed with it, I downloaded the files and some day's later began to look in detail at the piccies. Quite simply I was very impresssed with the quality it gave, so much so a couple of months later I bought one. I find it quite as capable as the E3 for many types of picture and much lighter. My own view is this is the way things are going to go in the fairly near future.

StephenL
21st March 2010, 03:45 PM
Manual dials for ISO, exposure compensation and shutter speed therefore less need to alter these via menus and/or buttons. My Canon G11 can manage that (except shutter speed), so why can't Olympus?

And an aperture ring on the lens mount, which would work with all lenses!

Kiwi Paul
21st March 2010, 04:31 PM
I prefer the buttons and menus of the E3, once you are familiar with the location and function of each button it's a much better system far easier and quicker to alter settings on the fly, get the E30 if you prefer dials etc.

Paul

StephenL
21st March 2010, 05:55 PM
There are no dials on my E-30! *chr

I prefer the buttons and menus of the E3, once you are familiar with the location and function of each button it's a much better system far easier and quicker to alter settings on the fly, get the E30 if you prefer dials etc.

Paul

Wreckdiver
21st March 2010, 06:02 PM
There are no dials on my E-30! *chr

3 dials on my E-30 :D

Steve

StephenL
21st March 2010, 06:13 PM
There's only wun wi' ony writin' on it! And none what control t' shutter speed or exposure compensation wi'out lookin' at a silly little telly screen!! :p :D

3 dials on my E-30 :D

Steve

Melaka
21st March 2010, 06:38 PM
Sorting out noise at high ISO is, to my mind, much more important than upping the pixel count.

I miss the manual/auto switch of the E1 although you get the same effect if you use Sigma lenses.

I certainly don't need video.

Faster AF for moving objects such as birds would be good.

I don't know what art filters are but I'm not afraid to admit that I find the scene mode on other models quite helpful in certain circumstances. My ageing brain doesn't always remember to make the necessary changes for snow, copying documents etc so being able to select them from the camera is a help.

For those of us who almost always use a grip the one with the E1 was much better than the one with the E3.

I'm happy with the size of the E3. I find my E510 unbalanced with the bigger lenses although it's excellent as a lightweight camera with the kit ones.

DerekW
21st March 2010, 06:59 PM
Bayonet fittting for the eyepiece / angle viewer rather than the vertical slide off method. ie back to the E1 style.

GPS location capture and storing in the EXIF at point of exposure.

Wreckdiver
21st March 2010, 07:29 PM
There's only wun wi' ony writin' on it! And none what control t' shutter speed or exposure compensation wi'out lookin' at a silly little telly screen!! :p :D

There's The Mode dial on top, Sub dial on front and Main dial on back.

At least, 'tis on mine :)

Steve

StephenL
22nd March 2010, 07:48 AM
Yes, but the sub dial and main dial control various things depending on modes. I want DEDICATED dials with figures on them!

There's The Mode dial on top, Sub dial on front and Main dial on back.

At least, 'tis on mine :)

Steve

Greytop
30th August 2010, 08:52 AM
The rumour mill seems to be heating up, seems like there is a chance we 'might' here of something from Olympus tomorrow :)

Radar
30th August 2010, 09:32 AM
Rumours are flying and I'm waiting to see what Olympus can present as this will make me decide if I stay with Olympus or jump over to "the dark side". I take more and more sport photos and now that the indoor season is starting I can almost forget sports.

Yesterday I covered the British national gymnastic team competing against the Swiss national gymnasts. These type of photos have to be "Magazine Quality" in order to get sales, but getting this quality with Olympus on ISO1600 and higher ("Low" light - high shutter required). I've had a play with Nikons D90 over the summer, a cheap'ish camera, and I've got mint results under similar conditions on ISO1600 and in some instances on ISO3200.

I know Canon 1MkIV is a camera in a different league, but when the photos coming from that camera yesterday were better on ISO6400 than mine on ISO400, then something needs to be done from Olympus.

So what do I want from a new camera? More fps (7-8fps will be good). Low ISO noise up to ISO1600 without having to overexpose a LOT and then edit later (Sometimes I don't have time for that and I might loose a sale) AF-assist in body for possible better low-light AF. More focus points and a function to select focus points more flexible than just one or all. I don't care about video as I still think the video is a gimmick to get more people buying a "two-for-one" solution where at least one of the things will have to get reduced quality to fit in the body.

So.. I might end up having my gear up for sale sometimes over the winter if Olympus continues to hover in the lower and middle area for cameras for sports.

theMusicMan
30th August 2010, 09:50 AM
I too remain a little skeptical about what we may or may not see in any forthcoming new Olympus DSLR. I remain very happy with my E-3, and I am sure it will last me another few years yet, but these next few weeks could determine what I end up doing in the coming years.

I had forgotten I started this thread, and earlier this morning I replied to Barrie with some of the things I'd like to see in any new Oly DSLR. I am glad to see that the list I made in that post matches to the list I made in this post!! :) (well... more or less!!)

Greytop
30th August 2010, 10:34 AM
True to form the rumour site continues to be all over the place, this 'supposed' press release date has now been changed to Sept 14th :rolleyes:

theMusicMan
30th August 2010, 10:41 AM
The 'rumour' site only does it to attract visitors... :) Any announcement will be with us when it's with us.

shenstone
30th August 2010, 05:17 PM
2 Wants really

1. Much improved High ISO Noise
2. Video

Nice to haves

1. More frames in the buffer

All the rest I can live without

The second would make it a very hard not to have for me the 1st will be when it gets cheap enought to switch to.

The reason for saying I would really like video is to expand my creative side - I do AV work and see many things that would really be good if I could get some movement and tend to end up taking multiple shots, but being able to get the noise of waterfalls to interleave with some close up detailed shots would be really fun.

All the rest to be honest I don't need / want

Regards
Andy

Wreckdiver
30th August 2010, 05:59 PM
Maybe this wouldn't be for the E-3's successor but I would love to see Olympus move into the Full Frame market, alongside the Four Thirds and micro Four Thirds lines.

Obviously a new range of FF lenses would have to be developed but then the Canikons already have these. With Full Frame bodies and their renowned superior lens quality Olympus would be way ahead of the competition.

Steve

theMusicMan
30th August 2010, 06:04 PM
Maybe this wouldn't be for the E-3's successor but I would love to see Olympus move into the Full Frame market, alongside the Four Thirds and micro Four Thirds lines.

Obviously a new range of FF lenses would have to be developed but then the Canikons already have these. With Full Frame bodies and their renowned superior lens quality Olympus would be way ahead of the competition.

SteveAbsolutely... agree 100%

mcwill
30th August 2010, 06:31 PM
Sorry but I disagree and don't think Olympus should create a third product line.

As it is, micro 4/3 is distracting development from the DSLR 4/3 market to the point that there are consistent rumours that Olympus is abandoning DSLR. If there were 3 major product lines the situation would only get worse and would certainly result in the death of the 4/3 DSLR line.

From a selfish point of view I've now invested in a couple of nice lenses, I'd like there to be an opertunity to update my body in a few years time.

--
Iain

Zuiko
30th August 2010, 09:46 PM

Steve

Ain't never gonna happen! Full frame is a niche market upon which Nikon and Canon already have a strangle hold. The development costs would be extremely high and breaking into this market in any meaningful way would be nigh on impossible. Olympus wouldn't just have to match what Canikon are already doing extremely well, they would have to significantly beat them and even then it is unlikely that pros with a lot invested in current glass would be tempted to switch.

The strength of Olympus is providing an alternative format which has many inherent advantages over full frame and APS-C size sensors and all I ask is that they continue to develop the E-System in line with technology improvements generally available within the industry.

Ian
31st August 2010, 09:57 AM
Ain't never gonna happen! Full frame is a niche market upon which Nikon and Canon already have a strangle hold. The development costs would be extremely high and breaking into this market in any meaningful way would be nigh on impossible. Olympus wouldn't just have to match what Canikon are already doing extremely well, they would have to significantly beat them and even then it is unlikely that pros with a lot invested in current glass would be tempted to switch.

The strength of Olympus is providing an alternative format which has many inherent advantages over full frame and APS-C size sensors and all I ask is that they continue to develop the E-System in line with technology improvements generally available within the industry.

Sony is struggling to make Full Frame pay and they have the most affordable FF cameras on the market.

Anyway, I'm sure the waiting will be over soon.

Ian

andym
31st August 2010, 10:19 AM
Anyway, I'm sure the waiting will be over soon.

Ian

Is that a hint?;)

Greytop
31st August 2010, 10:39 AM
Is that a hint?;)

Has to be ;):)

Nick Temple-Fry
31st August 2010, 11:02 AM
Has to be ;):)

But

Remember when you were eight and in the car.

"are we there yet, Mummy"

"Not yet. Marmeduke darling poppykins"

"When will we be there Daddy"

"Soon, Soon, so stay still my little man Marmie"

But soon was an awfull-l----lly, awful---------ll-----ly long time. Especially when you were small enough to tell your whole life story and just about everything in the gap between the minute hand and the hour.

So you had to ask again. And of course you got spanked. So then the day was ruined and you didn't want icecream and rides on Daddy's shoulders, and the sand was all gritty and anyway the harbour, well didn't it just stink of awful old fish?.

Who wants 49 silly focus points and what kind of locomotive is an IS 'o' 64xx anyway, does it have pannier tanks?

Nick

Invicta
31st August 2010, 11:04 AM
To my earlier list I would now add USB 3 support. *yes

mcwill
31st August 2010, 11:04 AM
But...

Nick

Absolute classic!!!

Greytop
31st August 2010, 11:24 AM
But

But soon was an awfull-l----lly, awful---------ll-----ly long time. Especially when you were small enough to tell your whole life story and just about everything in the gap between the minute hand and the hour.

So you had to ask again. And of course you got spanked. So then the day was ruined and you didn't want icecream and rides on Daddy's shoulders, and the sand was all gritty and anyway the harbour, well didn't it just stink of awful old fish?.

Who wants 49 silly focus points and what kind of locomotive is an IS 'o' 64xx anyway, does it have pannier tanks?

Nick

I feel a cold fog swimming in to dampen my enthusiasm ;) :D

Zuiko
31st August 2010, 11:44 AM
But

Nick

Nick, I worry about your childhood. Did your parents really call you "Marmaduke darling poppykins?" I always thought "Nick" was your real name but now I'm starting to wonder if it's really just a nick-name! :D

On the other hand I guess we've all been there. I just hope the harbour doesn't stink of fish when the SS Olympus finally docks with it's cargo of E-5s :eek:

I really enjoyed this post, Marmie. ;)

davidsa
31st August 2010, 11:55 AM
For any complex camera , E-**, P-**, or whatever:-

A control (on the camera or each lens) that will focus the lens on infinity, and leave it there. Just like in the old days when you could just turn the focus round to the infinity stop and you were OK for most of the time out of doors.

I suppose, ideally, for the up market models, you would have a readout giving the minimum in focus distance for that lens at that F-number.

David

Zuiko
31st August 2010, 12:38 PM

A control (on the camera or each lens) that will focus the lens on infinity, and leave it there. Just like in the old days when you could just turn the focus round to the infinity stop and you were OK for most of the time out of doors.

I suppose, ideally, for the up market models, you would have a readout giving the minimum in focus distance for that lens at that F-number.

David

Sounds more like a feature for a lower range point and shoot type camera. :)

davidsa
31st August 2010, 01:14 PM
Useful for any camera, surely!

For example often the 70 - 300 mm won't find something sufficiently contrasty for the autofocus to hitch onto when the subject is far away in the distance - so stick in on infinity.

David

theMusicMan
31st August 2010, 03:13 PM
Nick's post above simply has to be a contender for post of the year, it's a classic.

PS: I'm also with Zuiko on this one, Nick... and worry about childhood regressions... :) hehe

RogerMac
31st August 2010, 03:38 PM
Sounds more like a feature for a lower range point and shoot type camera. :)

David

Am I missing sonething:confused: I think I have that facility already on my 50mm and also my 12-60mm, as far as I know its on all the HG and SHG lenses.
Roger

Nick Temple-Fry
31st August 2010, 11:31 PM
Nick's post above simply has to be a contender for post of the year, it's a classic.

PS: I'm also with Zuiko on this one, Nick... and worry about childhood regressions... :) hehe

My 'inner child' is realing under so much friendly scrutiny.

However I was brought up to believe in 'delayed gratification', a then popular idea for parents as it gave them so much more time for their own self obsession.

But, as it turns out, an excellent preparation for Olympus DSLR ownership.

Reputedly they could hear me crying at the Co-op grocery a hundred yards away, do you think Olympus in Japan can hear me too?

Nick

Zuiko
1st September 2010, 12:23 AM
do you think Olympus in Japan can hear me too?

Nick

Even if they can, do you think they care?

You childhood reminiscences have sent me delving into my own rather hazy past. I had a teddy bear for my first Christmas and throughout my childhood (even into my teens :o) he remained a firm favourite. Bigger, better bears came and went. Bears with more realistic features, softer fur, inbuilt growls when you squeezed them, but all were eschewed in favour of good old "Teddy."

Yes, I know that name is totally unoriginal and lacking in imagination but that's how he was introduced to me at 6 months old and, well, the name just stuck. You don't suddenly rename an old friend (unless you discover they are really a "Marmaduke"). But in retrospect, and with consideration to my current favourite toy, maybe I should have named him Edward-the-Third, or E-3 for short.

Now that I've finally "come out" you can worry about my childhood for a while rather than your own, Marmaduke. :D