PDA

View Full Version : Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Four Thirds User
17th March 2010, 05:00 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Today we had lunch with the manager of Olympus' SLR product planning team, Toshiyuki Terada - found out what he had to say about the future of Olympus DSLRs.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/03/lunch_with_olympus_manager_of_slr_product_planning .php)

Invicta
17th March 2010, 08:00 PM
Glad you asked the question Ian as this would probably be my next purchase from Oly:

I reminded Toshi of the expectation of the new 100mm macro lens that has been on Olympus' lens roadmap for some time now. He greeted this with a smile: "I don't think we actually said this would be a 100mm lens, only that we indicated in the chart that it would be around 100mm!" Beyond that, Toshi didn't say more on this subject, except that it would be released in due course.

Bit of a teasing answer.... maybe it will be 105mm?

wanderer
17th March 2010, 11:31 PM
Having read the account of the interview on 4/3, yer man was definitely on message.
Committing to nothing specific (as a good businessman)and being very polite (as I would expect a Japanese person to be).
He probably got the information he wanted and the response he wanted.

So my reckoning... a new top end DSLR in August around 15-17 Mp about the same size or slightly smaller than the E-3 (I agree with the balance thing when a big lens is on.), HD video,more AF points, faster AF, upgraded metering, better quality and greater range at high ISO, body costing 2500 and it'll be called E-4.
With a top pro zoom (standard?)lens to fall approximately into the 12-60mm category with a max aperture of F2 throughout the zoom and costing 2000.
Discuss*chr

Or am I just being disingenuous and cynical.
I'll still be saving the bawbees for one though.*yes

HughofBardfield
19th March 2010, 02:56 PM
So, HD video to go with the pointless "Art Filters" and scene modes - Great!

It would be nice if Olympus actually listened to their end users (vide the poll on this forum not so long ago) and stopped adding "features" that are simply marketing gimmicks.

It would also be nice if they addressed the long neglected extremes of their lens range (ie super wide and super tele).

snaarman
19th March 2010, 03:16 PM
Here's an idea I raised a while back. On top of both my cameras is the usual mode dial. S.P.A.M, AUTO plus 5 weird symbols I never use.

How about this. That dial is removable (with a small allen key) and you get a second dial in the box with S.P.A.M, AUTO, and 5 lots of "mymode". Oooh. That would be nice.

The camera knows which dial is fitted, (there is a switch or sensor inside) so it runs slightly different firmware and gives you your 5 Mymodes to play with.

Go on Olympus - patent that idea. I give it to you for free...

Pete

Adagio
19th March 2010, 03:20 PM
How about this. That dial is removable (with a small allen key) and you get a second dial in the box with S.P.A.M, AUTO, and 5 lots of "mymode". Oooh. That would be nice.

The camera knows which dial is fitted, (there is a switch or sensor inside) so it runs slightly different firmware and gives you your 5 Mymodes to play with.

Cracking idea Pete :D

StephenL
19th March 2010, 03:40 PM
The problem I see with using any amount of "my modes" is that, even with just one, I can never remember what I've set it to! So I'd stand no chance with five!

Ian
19th March 2010, 03:49 PM
So, HD video to go with the pointless "Art Filters" and scene modes - Great!

It would be nice if Olympus actually listened to their end users (vide the poll on this forum not so long ago) and stopped adding "features" that are simply marketing gimmicks.

It would also be nice if they addressed the long neglected extremes of their lens range (ie super wide and super tele).

Haha! :) Hugh, tsk tsk, even I have to admit that the Art Filters are not mere toys, or indeed, gimmicks - same for video. I respect your opinion, but I dare say you are in a small minority on this.

Ian

E-3
19th March 2010, 04:08 PM
The art filters are not on the E-3 & may not be put on the new E-3 replacement. As for the video, as much as I like an SLR to be an SLR, I think it can only improve our opportunities, and if you don`t want to use it then thats fine, just ignore the fact that the camera has that function :)

E-3
19th March 2010, 04:13 PM
body costing 2500

2500 :eek: I hope not! I think it will be more like 1500 (but I could be wrong) :)

Zuiko
19th March 2010, 08:00 PM
Having read the account of the interview on 4/3, yer man was definitely on message.
Committing to nothing specific (as a good businessman)and being very polite (as I would expect a Japanese person to be).

So my reckoning... a new top end DSLR in August around 15-17 Mp about the same size or slightly smaller than the E-3 (I agree with the balance thing when a big lens is on.), HD video,more AF points, faster AF, upgraded metering, better quality and greater range at high ISO, body costing 2500 and it'll be called E-4.
With a top pro zoom (standard?)lens to fall approximately into the 12-60mm category with a max aperture of F2 throughout the zoom and costing 2000.
Discuss*chr

Wow! If only that was all possible - at 2500 it'd be a real bargain!

And that zoom - put me down for one, but why not f1.4? :D

David M
19th March 2010, 10:58 PM
Glad you asked the question Ian as this would probably be my next purchase from Oly:

I reminded Toshi of the expectation of the new 100mm macro lens that has been on Olympus' lens roadmap for some time now. He greeted this with a smile: "I don't think we actually said this would be a 100mm lens, only that we indicated in the chart that it would be around 100mm!" Beyond that, Toshi didn't say more on this subject, except that it would be released in due course.

Bit of a teasing answer.... maybe it will be 105mm?

I've been waiting for the 100mm macro through at least three revisions of the lens roadmap.

It's been pushed back so many times now I'll only believe it exists when it's on dealers shelves.

Invicta
20th March 2010, 08:58 AM
I've been waiting for the 100mm macro through at least three revisions of the lens roadmap.

It's been pushed back so many times now I'll only believe it exists when it's on dealers shelves.

Yes, the earliest date I saw was 2007 so this lens has been a long time on the drawing board.

I will only believe Oly is committed to four-thirds DSLRs when this lens is available.

Xpres
20th March 2010, 09:55 AM

Discuss*chr

Yes, why not! I'm waiting for something like this... But I'm not bothered about video or art filters - I haven't used the film mode on my 5D once yet!

David M
20th March 2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, the earliest date I saw was 2007 so this lens has been a long time on the drawing board.

I will only believe Oly is committed to four-thirds DSLRs when this lens is available.

I seem to think it was on the original lens roadmap planned for release in 2005.

I know I first saw it on a roadmap planned for release in 2005, then 2008 and on and on.

oly_om
20th March 2010, 06:08 PM
Probably not the E-4 (despite the OM-4) - 4 sounds like the word for death in Chinese/Japanese/Korean - which is why many Japanese products don't have a '4' model. Oly seem to be going up in odd numbers (I like to extrapolate from 2 data points!)

Andy

Toonman
22nd March 2010, 04:19 PM
I'm with Hugh on this one. Art filters, yuk :) and, not interested in HD video *zzz that's why I bought the E600, for photography. I also agree with Hughs opinion on lenses there needs to be a broader range for the E system and, a bit more competively priced ones as well.
Adam