PDA

View Full Version : Very exciting Helicopter flight... if you're interested, read on...

theMusicMan
17th March 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi All

Here's something that might get your attention. How do you fancy an hour and a half photography flight around Snowdonia in a helicopter...? Oh yeah.... I thought that might interest some here!!

So, I have been speaking with a helicopter flight company based in Welshpool, mid-Wales, obtaining information on costs, numbers, possible routes etc, and have come up with a few options that I would like to share with you here.

I would love to do a helicopter flight around Snowdoina, and have some indicative costs etc.

Option route 1:
The journey would be around one and a quarter hours, and would take you from mid-Wales to the North Wales coast, skirting around Snowdon and the mountains of Snowdonia, returning to Welshpool.

Option route 2:
From Welshpool to the mountains of Cadir Idris, and the West coast of Wales. This would be around one and a quarter hours.

Option route 3:
This is the longest and thus possibly the most expensive route. From Welshpool, down to and around the peaks of the Brecon Beacons, returning to Welshpool. Duration around one hour and three quarters.

The cost of such a trip is around 560 per flying hour for a 3 passenger Helicopter (all at window seats). The actual route and where we fly to is flexible, as long as certain rules are adhered to which are 1,000 feet above populated areas and not less than 500 feet if there are structures or people on the ground in the vicinity of the aircraft. Apart from that, the pilots are willing to go where we ask, and extend the flight if needed. I am up for a 1 hour 15 min flight around Snowdonia and if I can get two more people willing to pay approx 250 for this, I'd go ahead and book it.

This would be in a R44 heli (no open windows though), which seats 3 passengers, but all would be next to a window.

R44
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Robinson.r44.astro.g-pfml.arp.jpg/769px-Robinson.r44.astro.g-pfml.arp.jpg

There is another option of a larger and thus more expensive helicopter - a Jet Ranger, which seats 4 passengers (one in the middle for the entire journey - no changing seats), but windows can be opened. The cost of the Jet Ranger is 700 per flying hour. We could work out a price depending on the number of people but if we had three people this would be around 300 per person for an hour and a quarters flight.

Jet Ranger

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Bell.206a.jetranger.g-bkzi.arp.jpg/800px-Bell.206a.jetranger.g-bkzi.arp.jpg

So... personally I'd perfer the Jet Ranger as we'd all have windows that could open. I'd bag the front seat as I'd be the organiser - hehe... :)

Any takers...

theMusicMan
19th March 2010, 12:28 PM
WOW, ah well, I thought there would be some interest in this.

Maybe mot then. Shame.

j.baker
19th March 2010, 12:38 PM
John,

Teresa and I would be interested.

benvendetta
19th March 2010, 01:21 PM
I did a helicopter flight in the Rockies near Banff in Canada a few years ago - awesome!

Ian
19th March 2010, 03:51 PM
Go for it - I've done several copter rides to the Grand Canyon - superb experiences!

Ian

Jim Ford
19th March 2010, 04:40 PM
Nasty dangerous things!

I worked on helicopter engines for 35 years, including the Alison 250 which powered the earlier Jetrangers. Get an engine failure on a single engined helicopter and you're basically toast! You _can_ autorotate, but it's a pretty extreme and risky procedure, and inevitably results in a very heavy landing, with damage to the airframe and shock-loading of the engine.

Not that I want to put anybody off!
;^)

Jim

theMusicMan
19th March 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks Jim!!! Watch the hordes of interested parties show their heads now, eh! :)

j.baker
19th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Jim,

Just think of the photos that you would get.....they would be priceless :)

Jim Ford
19th March 2010, 05:14 PM
Jim,

Yeahbut, a fixed wing aircraft is bad enough - relying on the miracle of Bernoulli. But a helicopter relies on the miracle of Sikorsky, _in_addition_ to that of Bernoulli - both foreigners I might add!
;^)

If God had meant us to fly, He would have given us cyclic and collective pitch on our ears!

Jim

PeterBirder
19th March 2010, 09:59 PM
Jim,

Priceless or posthumous? :D:D

Ian
19th March 2010, 10:04 PM
On the subject of helicopters, from one of our other sites, my blog on DPNow:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=132

:)

Ian

Zuiko
20th March 2010, 04:12 AM
Nice idea, John, personally I can't afford it but if you can get a trip together I'll look forward to seeing the pictures!:)

oly_om
22nd March 2010, 10:39 PM
I am talking about a gliding jaunt with my friend, Sarah, to get some interesting shots. I'm hoping to do it some justice and hopefully achieve something approaching these shots: http://www.whiteplanes.com/gliders1.htm. Sadly the person who took those was a friend of Sarah's and lost his life whilst taking gliding shots (he stood up at the wrong moment after changing his lens...). There is a warning here to be damned careful on airfields and don't compromise your own safety for a good shot. At the same time, it's also amazing and well worth taking these opportunities if you can get them. I look forward to some excellent shots!

Andy

maccabeej
23rd March 2010, 12:40 PM
If God had meant us to fly, He would have given us cyclic and collective pitch on our ears!

Jim

Then try to walk, talk and chew gum.:eek:
Jim

Jim Ford
23rd March 2010, 01:47 PM
Then try to walk, talk and chew gum.:eek:
Jim

Ah, what was said of President Gerald Ford - he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Jim

oly_om
23rd March 2010, 01:58 PM
Ah, what was said of President Gerald Ford - he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Jim

A relation, Jim? :D

shenstone
23rd March 2010, 07:28 PM
WOW, ah well, I thought there would be some interest in this.

Maybe mot then. Shame.

Hi John

I could be

for personal reasons I may prefer the Beacons to Snowdonia, but the one thing that I would like to know about is what sort of "weather guarantees" are available - I think they only fly in reasonable weather, but if it's not good for getting pictures of the landscape I'm not sure whether I'd want to go

Regards
Andy