PDA

View Full Version : Hire for events - beware!

Ian
15th March 2010, 01:18 PM
One of our customers who hired a 90-250 to use at the Crufts dog show last week had a rude shock when she was told that she couldn't use a lens like this (it's quite large, as you may realise) without a press pass.

In all honesty I'm very surprised at the attitude of Crufts. It's not uncommon for amateur photographers to use professional grade lenses at events, and I've used the 90-250 at various events, like the British Grand Prix, without any restrictions.

Anyway, the moral of the story is - if you want to use a big pro lens like teh 90-250 or 300 f/2.8, and you don't have press accreditation, check that you won't end up disappointed like our customer.

Ian

Ian
15th March 2010, 01:59 PM
One of our customers who hired a 90-250 to use at the Crufts dog show last week had a rude shock when she was told that she couldn't use a lens like this (it's quite large, as you may realise) without a press pass.

In all honesty I'm very surprised at the attitude of Crufts. It's not uncommon for amateur photographers to use professional grade lenses at events, and I've used the 90-250 at various events, like the British Grand Prix, without any restrictions.

Anyway, the moral of the story is - if you want to use a big pro lens like teh 90-250 or 300 f/2.8, and you don't have press accreditation, check that you won't end up disappointed like our customer.

Ian

Julia has requested information from Crufts to clarify their stipulations concerning what's allowed and what isn't, and why, at Crufts. Hopefully we'll have a follow-up in due course.

Ian

Zuiko
15th March 2010, 09:30 PM
It just seems to be another small part of the general anti-photography conspiracy that seems to be pervading society in this country at present. :confused:

oly_om
15th March 2010, 10:14 PM
It just seems to be another small part of the general anti-photography conspiracy that seems to be pervading society in this country at present. :confused:

Some people get frightened when confronted with enormous tools!

Graham_of_Rainham
15th March 2010, 11:34 PM
It has to all be about them making money from the "Pros" and not wanting to see anyone else have the chance of getting good images (that they can sell)

Personally I think they are all "Barking Mad" at Crufts anyway...:rolleyes:

theMusicMan
16th March 2010, 08:00 AM
Should have just kept the lens in a camera bag and got it out when seated.

If confronted, I'd have asked for the rule that states no '90-250mm' lenses can be used unless accompanied with a press pass. Challenge these people... it's the only way. Don't go mad of course, but challenge them because they seem to make up rules on the spot.

snaarman
16th March 2010, 08:19 AM
I wonder: Where does "pro" start?

I was stopped from using the E510 and 14-42 because no photography was allowed at an indoor event and I was using a "proper camera". All round me were a sea of silver P+S cameras popping their flashes, plus more phone cameras than you could shake a stick at.

So - if silver camera good, black camera bad - how about a silver mFT Pen with a 50-200 on it ? :)
-or the E-PL1 with the 90-250 on it !

Pete

mike_j
16th March 2010, 08:48 AM
My son was prevented from using his E420 with kit lens at an event last year as it was a 'professional' camera. Fortunately my little M8 only counted as a basic point and shoot so we still got the pics.

DerekW
16th March 2010, 08:34 PM
Any response from The Kennel Club /Crufts re this issue - I know some one who knows a lot of the KC people so if you do not get a good response I will see whatI can find out.

Ian
17th March 2010, 08:18 AM
Any response from The Kennel Club /Crufts re this issue - I know some one who knows a lot of the KC people so if you do not get a good response I will see whatI can find out.

Not so far...

Ian

forester
17th March 2010, 10:48 AM
It has to all be about them making money from the "Pros" and not wanting to see anyone else have the chance of getting good images (that they can sell)

Personally I think they are all "Barking Mad" at Crufts anyway...:rolleyes:

I agree with you entirely, I used to be a Championship Judge in the dog world, judging Irish Setters.
I packed it in because of the “politics” of it all, and yes the Kennel Club are barking mad.
Also Crufts is just one big money making “circus” for them, the dogs are just secondary
My wife still does the dog showing, she is mad as well,*yes I just hope she does not see this:D *chr

DerekW
17th March 2010, 12:57 PM
Yet the KC were happy to use one of my pictures last year (so I am told) at Crufts on all their post boxes to collect surveys. No credit or acknowledgment given.

The picture is on my gallery here.

Ian
22nd March 2010, 03:23 PM
We have a result. I've featured it on my blog at DPNow, see:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=134

Basically, you CAN use pro-quality DSLRs and lenses, but you should register with the press office in advance. Sharon, who was told she couldn't use the big ZD 90-250 she hired from us, should have been directed to the Crufts press office in order to sign necessart forms to enable her to continue shooting as an amateur photographer at the event.

I'd like to thank Crufts for sorting this out and Sharon is apparentlyt very relieved and now looking forward to next year's show. :)

Ian

Sharon
22nd March 2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me Ian and Julia. :) I guess I should have challenged the guy more but he made me feel like a criminal! I'll know better next year. Forewarned is forearmed *yes

Melaka
22nd March 2010, 06:44 PM
I'd like to thank Crufts for sorting this out and Sharon is apparentlyt very relieved and now looking forward to next year's show. :)

Ian

You're being far too kind to Crufts. They deserve no thanks at all for treating Sharon in that way. They owe her a fulsome apology and free entry next year.

Ian
22nd March 2010, 09:55 PM
You're being far too kind to Crufts. They deserve no thanks at all for treating Sharon in that way. They owe her a fulsome apology and free entry next year.

In all fairness, they were concerned that Sharon had not been treated properly and they wanted to know if the official who spoke to Sharon could be identified.

Ian

Sharon
23rd March 2010, 02:09 PM
I should have taken his name. My bad. *ohwell

Imageryone
3rd July 2010, 06:31 PM
I take a lot of photographs at Agility Shows run under Kennel Club rules. There is always a Professional Photographer there, and it has been known to cause friction.
I now take my camera and lenses, intorduce myself to the Pro, and explain my expectations.
These Pros have to pay a lot of money for the right to photograph, and I feel
that an understanding of this fact helps.
Cruft's is another matter entirely. They seem to think that RULES!!!! made by them are inviolate, even though the Press boys are really helpful, I have found.

Same approach as most Police," I don't know what I am talking about, but I'll throw my weight about anyway."

Sorry you were on the end of it, Sharon.