PDA

View Full Version : IS plus Self Timer

lichtloper
13th March 2010, 09:19 PM
E-620 is my first camera with ImageStabilization.
The manual says to switch it off when useing a tripod.
Self Timed exposures are usually taken with the camera on a tripod or improvised tripod - so no need for IS.

Would it be practical if the camera offered us the option of IS Auto Switch Off when the self timed shooting mode is activated?;
and IS automatically switched on again when the camera is used in 'normal' shooting mode?
I know my self and I'm sure I'll forget to switch IS Off and On again...

Or am I overlooking something in the menu? :o

--btw I'm a novice in this forum and have bought my E-620 just a few days ago; maybe this 'idea' is not new at all.--

Any comments?

lichtloper

shenstone
14th March 2010, 09:36 AM
I get what you mean, although I know a lot of people who say it's not that necessary to turn it off (the lack of sharpness seems absolutely minimal to vergin on not being able to see it to me)

I've not played with it much, but if it's something you do a lot of is it possible to set-up one of the my mode programmes to meet your needs with a camera reset to take it back to normal ?

Regards
Andy

lichtloper
14th March 2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Andy,
I don't use Self Timer very often, that's precisely why I'm likely to forget to switch Off/On the Image Stabilizer.
-- I haven't set up MyMode configurations yet. --
I was merely trying to carry the camera's 'logic' forward.
lichtloper

catkins
14th March 2010, 10:37 PM
I like the logic of this and would assume that it is something that Olympus and others would need to look at and take forward.
My problem is that I love taking photos and as you note at times it is very difficult to remember all the different buttons and settings, both obvious and hidden especially when out in the field.
In many cases it is just a case of the choice has to be left up to the photographer, but I guess in a few circumstances like this it would seem easy enough and practical for the manufacturer to have it as an Auto setting or function, as by rights the camera will be on a tripod or fixed location when using the self timer.

As noted by Andy though, I do not know how much visible difference the IS on or off will make, and will leave that to others to comment. I do know however that when I was beta testing the Gigapan Imager with a compact camera we switched off IS as it could create a slight blur if kept on, especially in low light long exposure situations. So perhaps a long shutter speed is the key for showing up any blur?

Regards
Chris