PDA

View Full Version : It really makes my blood boil.

Meogeo
11th February 2008, 10:29 PM
I have come to this forum and really find it a very supportive site, I find all of the help to other members very constructive and all the photo's that have been taken and shown on this site very good and in some cases exceptional well you would think they were professional.

I am a member on another forum which has a mixed format. and when someone bad mouths other formats it just makes my blood boil.

Before I bought my E-510 it took me about 4 weeks before I made my decission. I beleive Olympus are slowly getting together a fine range of lenses plus all the photographs I studied taken by Olympus Cameras, this is what helped me make my mind up.

Olympus took a big gamble when changing there format over to four thirds, but I beleive this has paid off and the Olympus range will go from strength to strength.

This is what the person said on the other forum:-" As for the the Sony, Pentax or Olympus. I wouldn't buy one myself - as far as "systems" go, they are not big enough or proven enough. They also pay too much attention to new features instead of perfecting the basics."

Is this guy so sad he has to give 3 different camera manufacturers a bad comment. I am sure Olympus have perfected the basics otherwise the photographs would not turn out as good as they do.

Since reading this post I have decided to drop my membership to that forum, what I should do is react to the post he has left for the none truth about learning the basics but that is not my style, As for Olympus well that has made me stick with them for ever and I am sure the four thirds format is going to grow on me.

Blood boil over

theMusicMan
11th February 2008, 11:00 PM
Hey Geoff... rest assured sir, you are not alone in those sentiments. I regularly see posts on mixed format forums from owners of other camera manufacturers who only ever bash the Olympus brand. I have seen posts made by newcomers to DSLR photography ask about which camera they should consider - who are then given appalling, and one-sided advice; Olympus never gets a shout despite the massive cost/feature ratio of the E410/E510 cameras compared to other manufacturers. I have even seen a seasoned photographer suggest the D40 in preference to the E-510 just because he was an Oly basher.

When I posted on those forums I always tried to remain impartial, and offered genuine cross manufacturer advice, suggesting to the requester to go and test out the gear for themselves before making any decisions. I rarely saw this from non Olympus users.

It was also evident that cliquishness was prevalent, together with sucking-up in an often Godlike manner to those who loved to be perceived as pro's. It became so frustrating that the obvious solution for me was to not post there any further, so I haven't... :) I doubt I am missed... hehehe.

I've seen none of that rather petty and immature behavior on here, nor on Ian's other site... FTU. In fact, it's quite the opposite and is another reason I feel this site is going to be here for a long time to come.

Photocracy
11th February 2008, 11:02 PM
It's a puzzle isn't it? It's all about outgunning the Jones's, if you follow me. Some people just have to feel they have the biggest and best, whereas others are smart enough to chose the right tool for the job without overkill. It's these kind of people who would engrave your watch with a pneumatic road drill because nothing is more powerful. I like to think 4/3rds people are discerning photographers who appreciate a balanced performance/weight/size ratio appropriate to the job required. I don't need or want prints as big as my front lawn or a lens that causes blushing in polite company due to its exaggerated phalic immensity. Look at what the mini did for motorists and people are still trying to copy it 40 years on.

I think camera manufacturers are to blame for the increasing prevalence of this kind of attitude (some more than others) as they are always trying to make people feel their cameras are lesser than the latest offerings they want to relieve you of your money for. People criticised Olympus for being slow to bring out the E3, but how often do you really need a new camera? My E500 is 18 months old and if I listened to some, I could believe it was well out of date. Thankfully, I love it and it's still surprising me today with what brilliant things it can do. No, Meogeo; give yourself a pat on the back for joining the sensible crowd. :)

j.baker
11th February 2008, 11:04 PM
I am personally against "Bashing" other vendors and I normally laugh when people start to. On other forums, I see "Fan boys" getting nasty if you mention anything bad about "Their" product/company (a small fruit company comes to mind for example, can be made into cider).

I know that they are being pasisonate, but sometimes they get single(or simple) minded, and cannot see other opinions.

The same happens with cameras. If you choose a camera only on specification then that is fine. My wife and I chose based on features and how it felt. The size, weight and layout were all taken into consideration. I nearly purchased the Canon 400D last year, but I chose the Olympus E400. Looking back, I am glad that I did so. I have friends that purhcased the Canon Rebel XT. It takes very good images.

I am glad that you have found a camera that you like after all its all about the photographs that you take and not the name on the camera.

ianc
11th February 2008, 11:06 PM
I have always found that you can know someone for a long time and not know they are an expert about something but an idiot, like this guy, will just come straight out and tell you he is a moron. Just ignore him it is not worth the effort of reading his rubbish let alone getting upset about it. All he is doing is displaying his ignorance for all to see.

Ian C.

Photocracy
11th February 2008, 11:10 PM
I put this link in another post on FTU, but I'll put it here too.

It's from the Oly web site, but it puts the case for Four-Thirds well.

http://objects.olympus-europa.com/consumer/features/fourthirds/en/

Ellie
12th February 2008, 01:55 AM
I think it's odd too, but it seems to happen very often. It's a bit childish really. There are so many nice cameras around, so surely everybody's got the right to choose the one that's best for them.

I'd have thought that anybody reading something like that would automatically think the writer is a bit of an idiot and probably not the best person to give sensible advice about choosing any product, least of all something as expensive as a dslr camera.

Meogeo
12th February 2008, 08:22 AM
I got most of the information I needed for the Olympus E-510 from Gordon Laing's site and the guy is totally impartial to any camera, his reviews are honest and thorough, even his videos showing you the camera and how it works are professionally made, its just ashame he never got to tell the guy to edit his post or pull it.

I feel all formats take great pics but at the end of the day it is down to the user.

Any way back to the E-510, I love the lightness of this camera after holding a few in the shops.

Happy Snapping

and thanks for your comments.

Solar
13th February 2008, 07:46 PM
Well Geoff, my best advice is, rest assured you are better informed than him. Forgive his ignorance and propagandizing or fanboyism. What's true for you is true for you ... there are over 6billion different viewpoints on this planet and the internet and forums allow anybody with a computer to extend their view to the world about anything. Cameras are no different.

Some people invade forums and discussions with troll-like activities. Some people are naturally polite, some are rude, some speak quickly, some too late.

The best thing you can do is treat such nay-sayers as barking dogs. One wouldn't stop the fire engine on the way to a fire to handle the barking dogs lest they were crazy. Likewise, don't get sucked into such a waste of time and don't let it get to you. Instead, just take pictures, do your best, learn to improve, and continue to personify knowledge of photography rather than the mentality of "I shoot with [brand] all these others [ ] [ ] [ ] are junk."

I assure you I have seen plenty of great photographs from every system out there. It's more the photographer these days than the equipment....;)

shenstone
13th February 2008, 10:54 PM
I have come to this forum and really find it a very supportive site, I find all of the help to other members very constructive and all the photo's that have been taken and shown on this site very good and in some cases exceptional well you would think they were professional.

I am a member on another forum which has a mixed format. and when someone bad mouths other formats it just makes my blood boil.

As for Olympus well that has made me stick with them for ever and I am sure the four thirds format is going to grow on me.

Blood boil over

Geoff

Many of the same sentiments find me over here. I have to say one of My best mates is a pro who uses Canon equipment and he does some exceedingly great things, but he likes the pictures I take and has even published a couple in a magazine he edits - he likes what I do and I like what he does - who cares what the box is labelled as long as it does the job.

I can't say that I'm Oly for ever - something may change my mind one day, but it won't be not liking the gear I've got or the format or the supplier - like ANY there are odd times when things miss perfection, but that's usually down to me !

Regards
Andy

Xpres
13th February 2008, 11:29 PM
Some of us may have more than one camera, lots more perhaps.......... Of more than one format and of different vintage. They'll all take pictures for you if they work and you do too. It's the results that count.
But I do like to play with my toys. I guess some people get quite possesive about their brand of toy. They'll grow up. :rolleyes:

Photocracy
13th February 2008, 11:42 PM
Some of us may have more than one camera, lots more perhaps.......... Of more than one format and of different vintage. They'll all take pictures for you if they work and you do too. It's the results that count.
But I do like to play with my toys. I guess some people get quite possesive about their brand of toy. They'll grow up. :rolleyes:

Hey! My Yashica, Pentacon, Zeiss, Pentax, Rolleiflex and Ensign are much better than your..........what did you say you had? :D

Xpres
14th February 2008, 12:10 AM
:D:D:D Conkers at dawn then.......

HughofBardfield
14th February 2008, 11:25 AM
:D:D:D Conkers at dawn then.......

...but only if you play nicely!

Personally, I sometimes think email and discussion forums can be among the greatest barriers to communication ever invented. The speed with which a discussion can go from a standing start to vituperation is astonishing. People says things electronically they would never even consider saying F2F.

Personally, I get a great deal of pleasure every time I see a really good pic on Flickr that was taken with a P&S or "bridge" camera - which is most days! As others have said above, it's about the photgrapher, not the equipment.

Photocracy
14th February 2008, 05:36 PM
...but only if you play nicely!

Personally, I sometimes think email and discussion forums can be among the greatest barriers to communication ever invented. The speed with which a discussion can go from a standing start to vituperation is astonishing. People says things electronically they would never even consider saying F2F.

Personally, I get a great deal of pleasure every time I see a really good pic on Flickr that was taken with a P&S or "bridge" camera - which is most days! As others have said above, it's about the photgrapher, not the equipment.

I have never encountered the word vituperation before. I've now downloaded it to my brain. I feel like I've had a firmware upgrade now! :)

Thank you

HughofBardfield
15th February 2008, 10:00 AM
I have never encountered the word vituperation before. I've now downloaded it to my brain. I feel like I've had a firmware upgrade now! :)

Thank you

Glad to be of service!:D