PDA

View Full Version : Which cam bag for an E600/620?

Dave_T
7th March 2010, 06:22 PM
Well now I've got my kit I need something unobtrusive to carry it in, I like the look of the Crumpler bags because they don't look like obvious camera bags, but before I spend my hard earned cash would like some real life input and opinions from you guys!

Following is the kit I normally carry

E600 + 14-42mm kit lens + HLD-5 battery grip
40 -150mm lens
Couple of filters
Reading glasses
Lens cloth
Couple of spare batteries

I currently use a bag I bought on holiday a couple of years ago, measures 28cm x 22cm x 12cm and is JUST big enough to get the camera and the 40-150 in.

As I said I like to the look of the Crumplers (although would consider other makes), was thinking of the Muffin Top 4000 or one of the Messenger bags, but am a bit worried about fitting the E600 in with the lens and the battery grip attached, does anyone out there manage this? Also any other suggestions greatly received, as at the moment anything that can't fit in my bag goes in my pockets, and I'm a bit fed up with walking around with my coat bulging!

Cheers, Dave

StephenL
7th March 2010, 07:32 PM
If you're willing to invest a little more money than average for a top-quality bag, can I suggest the Billingham range? A small Hadley should fit the bill and will last forever.

benvendetta
7th March 2010, 09:29 PM
Hadleys are great. I would try before you buy as the one I have only really allows me three compartments - E-3, and lenses in the other two plus the two pockets at the front. Mind you they arn't cheap but they are really well made, are British and should last a lifetime.!

maccabeej
8th March 2010, 01:22 PM
I use both a Billingham Hadley Pro and one of those Lowepros which twist around (Slingshot?). Both have their pros and cons. I use the Lowepro if I am going to be walking aroud all day it's more comfortable but diificult to acces anything other than the camera. The Hadley is comfortable and it easy to use anything in the bag but it is a little less secure (as in easy to open).
Jim

cinders
8th March 2010, 02:50 PM
I too was looking at a Crumpler for carrying stuff other than out walking. The fact that it doesn't look like a camera bag is the best thing about it.

I'd be interested in knowing if people have them, and what they think.

I have got a fairly big handbag which takes a few spare lenses at a pinch, but really want a hybrid handbag/camera bag.

Cindy

DekHog
8th March 2010, 03:16 PM
I've had a couple of Crumplers and really liked them - very inconspicuous (unless you go for the bright colours) and well made. Not suited for carrying a lot of kit or hillwalking, but I guess you know that already... if I can find an E-600 anywhere that's what I'll be getting again.

beardedwombat
8th March 2010, 05:31 PM
Only problem with crumpler shoulder bags is that the strap slips off your shoulder cos the pad thingy isn't grippy. I use a Domke shoulder bag which has rubber threads woven into the strap, it grips beautifully and the soft bag is very comfortable to carry.
Cheers
Chris

Dave_T
8th March 2010, 06:03 PM
@ StephenL, benvendetta, and maccabeej: thanks for the suggestions, had a look at the Billinghams and they're nice products but a bit beyond my budget and not as 'stealthy' as I would like, think I've used up my budget and more just buying my kit!

So I've just put an order into SRS Microsystems for a Crumpler Muffin Top 5500 (where do they get the names from!) in a nice bland Espresso colour. I'm off to Barcelona next week and I'm a bit desperate for a bag to carry the kit, hopefully it'll be delivered tomorrow.

@cinders: I'll let you know how I get on with it although hopefully people won't see it as a handbag...although my wife does call my other bag the 'manbag'. Hmmm...maybe it's just my inner feminine side that really likes the Crumplers...:eek:

Thanks again, Dave

Jake
8th March 2010, 06:29 PM
*chrGet the olympus esystem bag for £4.97 delivered from PC world before it sells out!

Dave_T
8th March 2010, 07:04 PM
Ordered one of these as well, at £4.97 (delivered!) you just can't go wrong! Not exactly the stealth bag I wanted, but at that price....

Mrs T
8th March 2010, 09:38 PM
Have you looked at the Vanguard range? Have just bought a Pampas 37 at the Focus show yesterday, really stylish, well made and great value. I've been looking for a smart camera bag that also can be a handbag, and this is a slingshot type with very good easy access to the camera (plus other items can easily be accessed. I'm using it for the EP-1 so you might want the next size up for the E600.

Amanda

jamie allan
8th March 2010, 11:41 PM
Dave,
I've a Hama slingshot type - no model description which cost me all of £12.95 from 7dayshop.com. It holds the e600 with 14-42 plus grip as well as my 70-300 and 40-150 in the base compartment. It also holds my FL-36, spare batteries, CF card holder, 300mm reflector(scrunched up) and cleaning kit. I added a bit of extra foam padding to the inside of the base and an extra divider but that all and it works great. You can still get it from Snappy Snaps.

I also ordered and paid for the Olympus bag from PCWorld today but have now received the following email:

'Dear James,

Thank you for your recent PC World order.

Unfortunately we may have a problem with progressing your order within the timescale indicated on our website. We will contact you shortly to discuss the matter with you, but in the meantime please accept our apologies for the potential delay.

Your order number: PCW10000XXXXX

What happens next?

We will contact you to discuss your order.'

I'm not holding my breath
Jamie

Rod Souter
9th March 2010, 08:51 AM
'

Thank you for your recent PC World order.

Unfortunately we may have a problem with progressing your order within the timescale indicated on our website. We will contact you shortly to discuss the matter with you, but in the meantime please accept our apologies for the potential delay.

What happens next?

We will contact you to discuss your order.'

I'm not holding my breath
Jamie

Ditto

Rod

StephenL
9th March 2010, 09:28 AM
I note that this bag is no longer available, having tried to order one this morning.

DekHog
9th March 2010, 09:51 AM
I ordered one yesterday afternoon and haven't received any 'problem' email as yet - could I have got one of the last available? Doesn't sound like the kind of luck I normally have!

cinders
9th March 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking that the Crumpler 7500 will be the one for me - as I could carry both bodies as well as a spare lens or two. I don't really bother with most other handbaggy type things. To me, the ability to carry a camera is far more important than a selection of lipsticks. Although if they did it in pink I might be interested - no-one would think it was a serious camera bag then!

:D

Cindy

jamie allan
9th March 2010, 11:04 AM
Just an update on this - the money for the purchase has been taken from my account so as far as I'm concerned it is a done deal.

DekHog
9th March 2010, 11:17 AM
Just an update on this - the money for the purchase has been taken from my account so as far as I'm concerned it is a done deal.

Been in that situation before... it's really a case of they can't sell you what they don't have, and nothing you can do about it. :(

StephenL
9th March 2010, 11:22 AM
Derek - PM sent

DekHog
9th March 2010, 11:30 AM
Derek - PM sent

Thanks for that, Stephen... forever in your debt! :D

Dave_T
9th March 2010, 12:38 PM
Haven't received the 'problem' email yet, apparently the moneys been taken from my account and it's being prepared for delivery. If they don't have any more in stock, seeing as the money has been taken is this not a legally binding contract and they are duty bound to offer a replacement? If they want to replace with a Crumpler or a Billingham that would be nice...but then again it's nice to dream!

DekHog
9th March 2010, 12:40 PM
Ha, ha, nice try.... but unsurprisingly they are duty bound to give you a refund... :D

Dave_T
9th March 2010, 12:47 PM
I knew there would be a catch somewhere. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens...

jamie allan
9th March 2010, 01:16 PM
Well here is your answer - just received the following email from PCWorld.

Dear James,

We have now cancelled your order.
If you have already been charged for this purchase, your account will be refunded shortly.

Cancelled product(s):

1 x E-System DZK Camera Case - for Olympus E-400 & E-500

Amount to be refunded: £ 4.97

jamie allan
9th March 2010, 01:29 PM
Reading the PCWorld T&Cs (I really should go for a walk at lunchtime!) brings up the enclosed gem :
Our Contract
You will have an opportunity to check and correct any input errors in your order up until you click the “Go to payment” button.

After you submit an order we will give you an Order Reference Number and details of the products you have ordered. We will send the same details to you in an email acknowledging receipt of your order (Order Acknowledgement). We will then send a further email to confirm your order (Order Confirmation).

Subject to the paragraph headed “IMPORTANT” below, acceptance of your order and the creation of a contract between us will only occur when we send you an email confirming your order (Order Confirmation). This will contain details of how your products will be delivered to you. Alternatively, we may decline all or part of your order for any reason, in which case we will email you to tell you so.

When deciding whether or not to accept your order we may use certain information about you, including any received from our Identity Verification partner, currently 192.com. In particular, we may pass your details to 192.com for them to check against certain public and private databases. This helps to protect you and us against fraudulent transactions.

IMPORTANT: We try very hard to ensure that all information on this site is accurate. However, just occasionally, an error can occur. If we discover an error (e.g. the price or description of a product you have ordered) we may cancel your order at any time up to the point we send you the product(s) (even if you have received your Order Confirmation email). If we do cancel your order, you will receive a full refund of any charges already paid.

Nice way to get round any mistakes on their part. I think it basically translates to - if you cock up we progress the sale anyway. If we cock up we walk away.

Jake
9th March 2010, 04:25 PM
Mine has been despatched. I think after i posted on here and dpreview they got a big hit of orders.

jamie allan
9th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Well I've now had 6 emails from PCWorld in the space of less than 24hrs
1. confirmation of order
2. oops we've a problem progressing your order
3. no no no your order is being processed
4. yes yes yes your order is being prepared for delivery
5. no no no we have cancelled your order
6. we can confirm we're refunding your money and quote 'We do hope you’ll choose to shop with PC World again soon'

Now let's think what's their primary business - is there a clue in their name - I don't think so !

DekHog
9th March 2010, 05:52 PM
Maybe the email person had a night on the booze last night... we can only hope, anyway.... :D

Dave_T
9th March 2010, 07:23 PM
Well the Muffin Top 5500 arrived today, which is very impressive seeing as only I ordered it Sunday night, top marks to SRS Microsystems - will be using them again.

It's much as I expected and hoped for, not too big or too small, room for the E600 with the 14 -42 & HLD-5 battery grip attached, plus the 40 -150, a couple of filters and batteries, and reading glasses. Could probably squeeze a couple other items in like a guide book, or (this is for the girls) a lipstick or two :D If you carry anything much more than this then I think the next size up would be best.

The only slight niggle is that the flap is secured by both velcro and a plastic clasp, the velcro is fine but one side of the clasp is hidden up in the flap and a bit difficult to get to. Still at least this means any light fingered types won't easily be able to get to your kit.

There's also another parcel waiting for me next door, the only other thing I have ordered is the E-System DZK Camera Case, which will be amazing seeing as I ordered it yesterday! I don't want to run PC World down but they're not renown for this kind of service. Anyway I'll have to wait until they get in to find out. I'll let you know how I get on.

wanderer
9th March 2010, 07:56 PM
Have you looked at your usual way of working?
Its worthwhile thinking about your ergonomics.
I like to work with the camera easily available in a camera bag (Lowepro Toploader 70) and most of the other goodies in a rucksack that came as an add on to a Nature Trekker. I can also strap my tripod to it.
If I am going to have a ‘day on the hill’ the goodies are transferred to my daysac along with all the other gubbins for the hill.
I do a grab shot with the E-3 with the 12-60 as my normal setup. If I want to do something extra, stop, rucksack off & get into artistic? Mode.
I’m in the market for a small or medium Lowepro Trekker type.
As for ‘stealth’, kick the bag through a couple of puddles, drag it along a road and leave it in the sun for a couple of weeks. The patina of wear usually works.

Dave_T
9th March 2010, 08:26 PM
Normally when I go out the camera is nearly always in my hand, I use a modified strap that goes around wrist so that if I accidentally let go it doesn't hit the ground. So the only time that it usually goes in the bag is when I'm walking to or from the car/bus/train or am taking a rest (usually in a pub!), so coincidentally don't really need a large bag, it'll probably be almost empty most of the time. Also I'm more of a 'casual' photographer who likes to take a few pictures while out on walks in the country etc, so I like to travel light. Have tried a rucksack but like a shoulder bag as I feel it allows me more convenient access to my kit.

No doubt as time goes on I'll gather more goodies and will need to upgrade the bag, but at the moment the 5500 seems to fulfil my needs. I've already seen that you can get second hand OM lenses and converters on ebay for very reasonable prices, plus I might need a flashgun at some point, oh and as you say might be good to take the tripod along sometimes....:eek:

baldyb
10th March 2010, 06:33 PM
Can I just ask if anybody has found a website that gives the weight as well as the dimensions of these various crumpler bags? I couldn't even see it quoted on the crumpler uk website.....
TIA, Kevin

DekHog
10th March 2010, 07:53 PM
Can I just ask if anybody has found a website that gives the weight as well as the dimensions of these various crumpler bags? I couldn't even see it quoted on the crumpler uk website.....
TIA, Kevin

I can't remember ever seeing weight either when looking at them... but be assured, they don't weigh very much.

Dave_T
10th March 2010, 08:10 PM
Good point, never thought to look for the weight. If it helps I've just weighed my Muffin Top 5500 and it's 574g, although it does seem lighter than that in hand!

paullus
27th March 2010, 08:12 AM
Thank you DaveT for your original question as it saved me having to ask it and MrsT, I've just ordered a Vanguard Pampas 57. I'd never heard of Vanguard before and was all set to buy a bigger Lowepro Slingshot to replace the 100AW I currently have.
Just as a matter of interest regarding the E-System bag that's been mentioned here, I hope you all won't be disappointed. Unless it is a different version to the one I got free with my E520 kit a while back they are a pretty poor bag. They are flimsy and really aren't designed to take a camera with a lens attached. There is no weather protection either, the lid closes with velcro and a squeeze clip. To be honest I use mine as a manbag to carry my wallet, mobile phone and pens etc. to meetings and the like. I would not put my camera in it.

Mrs T
1st April 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Paullus

I hope that you are pleased with it. I'm finding mine very comfortable, enough room for the camera, phone, purse and a snack or two!

Amanda