PDA

View Full Version : Has everyone received their HLD-4 grip yet?

Jim Ford
11th February 2008, 08:39 PM
I applied mid December. Has everyone who applied during the same period received theirs?

I'm concerned my application's been forgotten/ignored!

Jim Ford

ianc
11th February 2008, 09:46 PM
I've still not got mine, applied end of November but I can't blame Olympus for this as they tried to deliver it when I was on holiday and it got sent back to them. I have been told another one will be dispatched to me. If you are worried about it try emailing Andre at imaging.news@olympus-europa.com

Ian C.

klian787
11th February 2008, 11:27 PM
I purchased my E-3 in December, received the HLD3 1st week in January and the Pro Backpack 1st week in february.

Solar
13th February 2008, 03:21 PM
I speculate that Oly has sold more E/3's than they expected as well the original cast of grips probably turned out to be far under what was demanded (I could be completely wrong) but the paying customers who purchased the grip were and are probably being given first priority. The grip should start arriving soon, who knows there could be some sort of revision on it (that won't be seen) to make it even more effective/sturdy or whatever. Just a though.

OlyFlyer
15th February 2008, 01:38 PM
I got my camera a week ago, on Wednesday, scanned the recipt and the warranty card, registered the purchase and mailed the scanned image together with a claim on the free grip. The day after I received a confirmation mail saying it will be shipped this week. It arrived yesterday as a very large, 3.5kg delivery. When I collected it, the box was huge and when I opened the box it even contained the E-system backpack, which I never claimed since the backpack offer ended 31st December formally.

Thank you Oly Sweden.

Jim Ford
15th February 2008, 04:19 PM
Didn't the backpack offer end the end of November, rather than December as you stated, Olyflyer?

I missed out on it as I bought my E3 in mid December!
:^(

Jim Ford

OlyFlyer
15th February 2008, 08:05 PM
Didn't the backpack offer end the end of November, rather than December as you stated, Olyflyer?

I missed out on it as I bought my E3 in mid December!
:^(

Jim FordPossible, I don't remember. Anyway, I got the bag as well, so I can't complain about it, especially considering I oredered the camera 11 days ago and received it just about 9 days ago, well after both the end of November and december.

DerekW
15th February 2008, 08:26 PM
Got the bag, got the grip, but not got the camera - it takes nearly 4 weeks for Olympus to repair their dead flagship cameras if you are based in the UK.

1700 quid and it gets a slow pace repair. Cannot do an instant replace

I am not impressed

Jim Ford
22nd February 2008, 08:11 PM
The grip arrived today. Thanks Olympus - it'll be a really useful accessory!

Contrary to previous reports, it seems pretty substantial to me and looks to be of a similar high build quality as the E3.

The only quibble I have is that there not a location hole adjacent to the tripod bush as there is on the camera. I find that when mounted on a tripod in portrait mode, the weight of the camera causes it to progressively tighten on the mounting screw, causing it to 'droop'. To overcome this, I put a location pin in the quick release plate to locate in the hole. On the HLD-4 there's no corresponding location hole for the pin.

If I'm to use the HLD-4 in portrait mode on a tripod, I'll have to make an alternative arrangement - maybe a stickier rubber on the QR plate.

I've not tried AA cells of any technology yet.

Jim

Invicta
26th February 2008, 10:58 PM
The grip arrived today. Thanks Olympus - it'll be a really useful accessory!

Contrary to previous reports, it seems pretty substantial to me and looks to be of a similar high build quality as the E3.

The only quibble I have is that there not a location hole adjacent to the tripod bush as there is on the camera. I find that when mounted on a tripod in portrait mode, the weight of the camera causes it to progressively tighten on the mounting screw, causing it to 'droop'. To overcome this, I put a location pin in the quick release plate to locate in the hole. On the HLD-4 there's no corresponding location hole for the pin.

If I'm to use the HLD-4 in portrait mode on a tripod, I'll have to make an alternative arrangement - maybe a stickier rubber on the QR plate.

I've not tried AA cells of any technology yet.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Where did you get such a "location pin"? Just that I find the camera can move on my tripod quick release plate and such a pin could be what I need. Alas no such pin was provided with the tripod.

Jim Ford
26th February 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi Jim,

Where did you get such a "location pin"? Just that I find the camera can move on my tripod quick release plate and such a pin could be what I need. Alas no such pin was provided with the tripod.

I drilled and tapped the QR plate 2BA and inserted a brass 2BA screw with the end turned down to fit the hole in the camera base.

As I mentioned, this is no good for the grip, as it doesn't have a location hole. I'm considering alternative means of stopping the camera moving, maybe silicone rubber on the QR plate because it's quite 'grippy'.

Jim

Invicta
26th February 2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks Jim. I thought maybe there was a standard "location pin". My Manfroto head has a small extra hole that lines up with the small recess on the Oly body OK. Alas Manfroto do not provide such a pin. I doubt my DIY skills could make such a device.

I agree the HLD-4 should have the same recess as the body. I think I will tend to take the HLD-4 off when aiming for tripod work.