PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a Dilemma....

DekHog
7th March 2010, 04:21 PM
Have just sold all my Nikon kit, and went to Currys with the intention going back to something small and light in the form of a G1. What's sitting right next to it but an E-600!

Bit of a dilemma, as I really liked it as well - the G1; great size, great LCD, liked the VF, so all around good, but 450 with 50 cashback, so 400.

Liked the handling of the E-600, and the menu system, etc, much the same as my old E-510, but, and it's a big but... couldn't view anything through the VF as there was no card in it; totally black. The ONE thing that would really put me off is if the VF was as small as the E-510 one.

Does anyone have any experience of both these camera's that can help me out? I wouldn't think there's anything in it as far as image quality goes, but looking at the E-600 price, it appears you possibly get more for your money (329) than the Panny, and there's not really much in it size-wise... but could I live with a tiny viewfinder image again after the Nikon? Help!!

Graham_of_Rainham
7th March 2010, 04:46 PM
I had use of the E-600 (with the 300mm f/2.8) for an hour or so and not once did the viewfinder size ever enter my thoughts. It's one of those very personal issues, as it is with most cameras, there's always something that we either love or hate about a certian feature etc... I tend to shoot, looking over the top of the camera or with both eyes open and only use the viewfinder for that final composition, focus point lock, etc., so the size is of no real importance to me.

Overall I thought the E-600 is brilliant and if it were not for the PEN would probably have got one as my walkabout camera.

*chr

StephenL
7th March 2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome back Derek! Yes, the finder is small, but it is better than the E-510 and is perfectly usable (speaking about the E-620 which is the same body).

DekHog
7th March 2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys - I think once you've had an Oly or two, the niggle is always there about wanting another one! I actually just found a card I could pop in the E-600 in Curry's, so will pop back tomorrow to make a final decision after I can see what I'm looking through...

StephenL
7th March 2010, 06:05 PM
Just a thought - why do you need a card to look through the optical finder on an E-600?

Incidentally, I went from a G1 back to an Oly E-620 as it felt more like a camera should feel!

DekHog
7th March 2010, 06:15 PM
Just a thought - why do you need a card to look through the optical finder on an E-600?

Incidentally, I went from a G1 back to an Oly E-620 as it felt more like a camera should feel!

I thought that myself funnily enough... switched it on, looked through the viewfinder, and nothing; blackness - rear LCD working OK, but pressing the shutter button just gave 'no card' error; the shutter worked, but nothing but constant blackness in the VF... I just automatically linked the 'no card' with the black VF, but it doesn't make sense... and no, the lens cap definitely wasn't on!! :)

baldyb
7th March 2010, 06:24 PM
FWIW, I also bought a currys e600 recently and have been very impressed so far. IMO it certainly has a better IQ than on my e510 (to be expected) and I agree with Stephen and Graham that the VF is not a problem at all - plus the LCD is better!! The 14-42 kit lens is also surprisingly good and sharp from what I've seen so far.
Kevin

PeterBirder
7th March 2010, 08:43 PM
I bought an E-600 recently to accompany my E-510 and I love it. The viewfinder is not big but much better than the 510 as it has the data display at the bottom where you can actually see it.:) The IQ is better than the 510 as it has the same 12MP sensor as the E-30. As StephenL and others have commented in other threads the OOC jpegs are excellent. My only niggle so far is that DxO Optics Pro and some other programs do not recognise the RAW files as being the same as the E-620's but I understand there are possible workarounds and am investigating this. Could it be that you couldn't see anything in the viewfinder because the camera was set to Liveview.:D That's the only way I can get mine to blank the viewfinder with or without a card.
FWIW my advice is buy one quick before the last one goes.*chr

Regards

DekHog
7th March 2010, 08:48 PM
Hmmm, liveview!! I bet that's what it is.... somebody quickly tell me how to get it back to VF mode so I don't stand there all day tomorrow trying to figure it out if it's in the menu somewhere (probably a button for it, I'd guess).

My only other niggle, like yourself, was reading in one of the other threads that the raw files are not recognised by Lightroom or PS Camera Raw... bit of a bummer that one...

PeterBirder
7th March 2010, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, liveview!! I bet that's what it is.... somebody quickly tell me how to get it back to VF mode so I don't stand there all day tomorrow trying to figure it out if it's in the menu somewhere (probably a button for it, I'd guess).

My only other niggle, like yourself, was reading in one of the other threads that the raw files are not recognised by Lightroom or PS Camera Raw... bit of a bummer that one...

Just press the liveview button on the back, it toggles between liveview and VF.
The Currys staff probably think it's a p&s and only works when the screen on the back shows a picture.:rolleyes:
On the RAW issue I believe a solution will be forthcoming but in the meantime I am getting excellent results with Superfine jpegs and can allways use RawTherapee and GIMP etc.
Go for it!

Regards

benvendetta
7th March 2010, 09:34 PM
The great thing about the E600 and E620 is that the info is along the bottom of the VF rather than at the RH side of the E400 and E500 series Olys. And the VF is a little larger. The current Currys deal on the E600 (330 with 14-42) is a steal and I am VERY tempted.*yes

DekHog
8th March 2010, 02:27 PM
Doh! Decided on the 600 so went along to Curry's this morning - closed for 5 days for renovation and combining with PCW in the same store! Called Currys Digital in town; no Olympus stock at all... doubt the refurbished store will have them once open on Friday again as well....

skyman1
8th March 2010, 04:28 PM
Doh bad luck hope it is available when it reopens *yes

Toonman
9th March 2010, 11:37 AM
I would hurry. I have heard they are selling out fast. All Dixon group shops are selling them. That is Currys, PC world and Dixons. There is a nationwide re-furbishing program at the moment with the Dixon group.

I bought my E-600 with twin lenses for 399 from Currys and just bought one of the last Battery grips from Jessops at 25! (Thanks to Jamie)
Thrilled with it. I believe the viewfinder is 3% bigger than E-500 series. Read it somewhere just can't remember where!
Adam

DekHog
9th March 2010, 11:50 AM
I seem to have sourced one with the assistance of, and great thanks to, StephenL... *chr

DekHog
9th March 2010, 05:00 PM
This must be the only lucky day I've had in the last year - got the last E-600 from Currys in Perth at 329, and the last 25 HLD-5 from Jessops in Dundee today!! :D

Not normally a fan of grips, but must admit that due it's small size, the E-600 and grip go fantastically well together - can see this being the only grip I've ever used up to now.... 354 all in must be one of the bargains of the century!

Oh, and more than happy with the VF on the 600... and I've always missed that stupidly named 'Super Control Panel.' Nice to have it back...

PeterBirder
9th March 2010, 07:51 PM
Congratulations!
Enjoy

Regards

Toonman
10th March 2010, 07:07 AM
Hi Dek
I got the second last one from Dundee!
Adam

DekHog
10th March 2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Dek
I got the second last one from Dundee!
Adam

I take it someone picked it up for you? Bit of a hike for a 25 item if you came up for it! :D