PDA

View Full Version : landscape and which lens ?

Taz
7th March 2010, 03:01 AM
I am after doing some landscape work, how well will my Kit lens cope with this ? are they ok at the lowest zoom ? i think mine is the 14-42mm which makes it i guess 28mm at the low end, how good will it be at that end ? or would I be better perhaps looking for a prime w/a lens ?
thanks

snaarman
7th March 2010, 08:18 AM
Personally I think 14 is quite useable as a landscape wide angle. I sometimes go down to 11mm. Some folks go to 9 or even 7mm - it all depends how much sky you want to include and how extreme you wish to make the perspective appear.

Remember though, the wider you go, the flatter the hills become, so it does end up as a "foreground and sky picture"...

Pete

Barrie Norman
7th March 2010, 09:10 AM
I agree with pete, I do however have a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle and this is very good and not to expensive, I must also add that I have never had any trouble with Sigma Lenes I have 4 and all have worked well even in extreme conditions.

E-3
7th March 2010, 01:13 PM
14mm is fine for landscape photography :)

David M
7th March 2010, 01:35 PM
Both kit lenses are fine for landscape use. I licensed the four shot I took with my E-410 and the 14-42 kit lens to a tourism authority.

Taz
7th March 2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys, that's a relief, being disabled now I have a very limited income so shelling out for more lenses than I have needs much carfull thought and saving up, one more question I have an adapter i bought of ebay to use the old olympus lenses,my question is what will I loose? i.e. will I still get the metering ? the auto focus ? or will they be totally manual ?
thanks

crimbo
7th March 2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys, that's a relief, being disabled now I have a very limited income so shelling out for more lenses than I have needs much carfull thought and saving up, one more question I have an adapter i bought of ebay to use the old olympus lenses,my question is what will I loose? i.e. will I still get the metering ? the auto focus ? or will they be totally manual ?
thanks

with an OM lens you will be able to use manual/aperture priority mode metering, but you will have to set the f stop manually and you will have to manually focus. Usually better to set to average metering for both these modes with a legacy lens