PDA

View Full Version : Olympus eyes 20 per cent share in high-end digicams

Adagio
5th March 2010, 06:39 PM
Yesterday's Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/olympus-eyes-20-per-cent-share-in-highend-digicams-1916138.html)

Who's_E
6th March 2010, 07:05 PM
Interesting statement of intent from Olympus...

So Olympus have to steal a 15% of market share from Canon, Nikon, Sony and others. Having gained that market share, they have to get a 10% margin on their newly acquired share. "Otherwise, it would not make a lot of sense for us to stay in the business."

Their third quarter results for their imaging business quoted in the Independant (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n100210aE_n.pdf) show a significant operating income growth (and much better results than forecast in March 2009) off the back of less sales...

...so maybe this is financially possible.

However:

Is the lower sales this year due to a loss of market share or a smaller market? There is no mention of market share increase in the commentary .pdf - I would shout about it if my share went up.
The operating margin they are talking about incorporates all expenses so where does product research and development (amortization or cash expense) come in and will a drive for the margin target affect that?
What is the situation specific to the "high end digicam" market?
Lots more questions

So much unanswered and I only pose these questions because I want to know my chances of getting a 100mm macro lens and seeing what the new E-x has to offer. I haven't (voluntarily) bought a new bit of E-system for almost two years because nothing has interested me, except those just mentioned.

Thanks, Adagio, for posting. Very interesting.

Nick

Zuiko
6th March 2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks David, very interesting. :)

Alan_UK
19th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Notice how that report mention micro 4/3 often, but 4/3 never.
Seems to me like Olympus is getting ready to dump 4/3.
What a waste.