PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in totally Darkness - Any tips

Garrie
4th March 2010, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm off out tonight on a cheeky explore, now I normally only ever explore during the day however this evenings choice of venue needs to be done at night :(

I'm taking my E3, Sigma 10 - 20 and tripod only. My idea is to use a torch for the camera to focus and then take the shot whilst useing the torch the "paint" light around the subject as needed.

Is there any other tips anyone can offer, I've not really done this before so any advice/tips would be brilliant.

Thanks
Garrie

forester
4th March 2010, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm off out tonight on a cheeky explore, now I normally only ever explore during the day however this evenings choice of venue needs to be done at night :(

I'm taking my E3, Sigma 10 - 20 and tripod only. My idea is to use a torch for the camera to focus and then take the shot whilst useing the torch the "paint" light around the subject as needed.

Is there any other tips anyone can offer, I've not really done this before so any advice/tips would be brilliant.

Thanks
Garrie

Wrap up warm *chr

Garrie
4th March 2010, 09:09 PM
Wrap up warm *chr

heehee true enough, its bloody freezing up here

gregles
4th March 2010, 10:45 PM
Glad to hear you have the E3 back and hope you had a guid explore*chr

Let us know how you got on please:)

skyman1
4th March 2010, 11:02 PM
Ah you are not alone its freezing down here to -1C clear with a waning gibbous moon :eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
5th March 2010, 12:23 AM
I was brought up with the 6Ps ;)

When ever I do anything experimental, I do it in the safety and comfort of my own home (whenever possible) to work out the technique and to make sure I know what limits I can go to.

By now you are probably back indoors having discovered the the batteries in the torch work at much reduced efficiency when cold (as do I) :D

Anyway, do please show us the results.

*chr

Garrie
5th March 2010, 03:52 AM
Just back in now, 3:48am. Knackered but well worth it, found another dentist chair and a couple if padded cells.

I'm rubbish at light painting though lol, much prefer daylight exploring/togging but enjoyed the change.

Oh and there's just something about the E3's shutter sound in an empty hospital in the middle of the night that gives me goose bumps, awesome.

Thanks guys
Garrie

shenstone
5th March 2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Garrie

Didn't see this in time to help, but yes it's a siutation we encounter in caving photogrpahy.

You are right that you need something to focus on and a torch ( we tend to use a cavers light) is the usual thing. If possible MF to make sure that nothings going to change once you've set it. The exposure settings can be tricky and I do tend to have to fire off a few test shots to be sure ( this is where digital wins so much over film)

Obviously I tend to then use flash, but for longer exposures a tripod will clearly be needed

Hope you had fun

Regards
Andy

Graham_of_Rainham
5th March 2010, 01:42 PM
Bring back OTF Metering :cool:

Or a digital equavalent. The OM4Ti OTF metering has the great advantage in situations such as this and worked so well for me on many occasions when using multiple manual flash shots to illuminate a scene.

OTF was discussed some time ago, and I'm still not convinced that a digital equivalent could not be developed. *???

Padded Cells, Dentist Chairs, what horrors went on there :eek:

Look forward to seeing the results

Garrie
5th March 2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys,

Well I've had a look at my shots, and to be honest they are not great. Heres the chair and padded cell

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/e/m/1.jpg

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/e/m/2.jpg

more than can found at the link below if interested.

The Padded Hospital (http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=4222)

Cheers
Garrie

wanderer
5th March 2010, 03:30 PM
They look fine.
I like the dentist's chair.
The torch seems to have done the trick.
You were always going to get vignetting in such an environment and its quite acceptable.
2 questions;
What power is the torch?
I've got a couple of 5000000 candlepower ones which can paint a castle in the dark at 200 yards but I haven't found the time or inclination to work on my 'painting' technique wihout getting white or dark spots.
How did you get access without a variety of nosey parkers butting in?

Garrie
5th March 2010, 03:41 PM

I loved the dentists chair, really need to go back during the day to get better shots that I can bracket.

I use a couple of 3 watt Cree 2x C Cell Tesco torches

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/e/m/t.jpg
(However I think tesco have stopped doing the 3watt Cree and now sell a torch that looks the same but is only 1 watt :()

If I had to do it again I would try removing the diffuser bit at the front so the beam isn't as focused.

I don't mean to be rude but as this is a public forum I wouldn't want to advise of access details, mainly due to other peoples (not on this forum) that would go to site to do more than just take photographs however it did involve lots of climbing in the middle of the night lol.

Thanks again
Garrie

theMusicMan
5th March 2010, 06:59 PM
Oooh Garrie, I wish I was closer to you. I too have that urban explorer streak - don't get the opportunity to do much of that here, would loved to have been able to join you.

ndl0071
5th March 2010, 07:57 PM
Nice shots Garrie, rather you than me though, it does all look a bit spooky:eek:

Garrie
6th March 2010, 02:47 PM
Oooh Garrie, I wish I was closer to you. I too have that urban explorer streak - don't get the opportunity to do much of that here, would loved to have been able to join you.

John I hoping to get down to wales this year as there is some really nice Asylums and hospitals down your way. Your more than welcome to join me if you like, however I could be a Canon/Nikon user by then :(

theMusicMan
6th March 2010, 03:30 PM
Would love to join ya Garrie, Canikon or Oly... matters not!

Shout when you're gonna be here.