PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Dust inside lens

stevednp3
3rd March 2010, 07:37 PM
Recently I have been noticing my AF working harder and that im getting a small smudge mark at the top of all my photos (landscape) and to the left (when in portrait).

This is only on my 14-54mm mk1 after giving it a good clean and looking for any marks on the glass I noticed that there is a few dusk particles on the inside glass just beneath the top layer of glass

How did they get in there, I thought this lens was weather protected and such.

I dont want to spend any serious money on getting this repaired (I dont mind a smallish fee) as I would rather invest in something like the 12-60.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could try to clean it out, is the any way I could blow it with an air can, but where would be the best area to point it

Im gutted as I love this lens :(

Thanks in advance

E-3
3rd March 2010, 08:57 PM
Have you contacted Olympus to see if they would sort it out under warranty ? As you say this should not happen to this lens :(

stevednp3
3rd March 2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the reply, its a few years old now and I bought it 2nd hand, so havent got any warrenty :(

benvendetta
3rd March 2010, 10:36 PM
Are you sure that it is not dust, or something else on your sensor. Dust in lenses isn't normally a problem. Many of the older OM lenses have a little dust in due to their age but it is the dreaded mould that usually causes the problems.

stevednp3
3rd March 2010, 10:47 PM
I thought this at first and still can't totally be sure it's not the sensor but I tried the kit lens and the mark does not show up. It only shows up a lot on dark colours I'll take some shots and post back tomorrow *chr

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd March 2010, 11:59 PM
I thought this at first and still can't totally be sure it's not the sensor but I tried the kit lens and the mark does not show up. It only shows up a lot on dark colours I'll take some shots and post back tomorrow *chr

Please do - dust towards the objective end of the lens tends not to show up in normal exposure (unless they are particularly big). Though dust/marks at the camera end are more easily seen.

But you might need to post quite a small crop, as reduction to web size obscures quite a lot of 'faults'.

Nick

stevednp3
4th March 2010, 10:17 AM
But you might need to post quite a small crop, as reduction to web size obscures quite a lot of 'faults'.

Thanks Nick I will indeed do that, I'll post back tonight *chr

stevednp3
4th March 2010, 07:45 PM
Well I took some photos against a blue wall and I cant seam to recreate the problem, here at home, so here is a pic taken on the 14-54 if you look at the top centre you will see the mark

I underexposed the image to make the smudge clear

Its not the end of the world I know, it only really show up in skies, anything with detail you wont see it, still annoying :mad:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/SD018859.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21800)

100% crop

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/SD018859_100.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21801)

Nick Temple-Fry
4th March 2010, 10:40 PM
Well - it's pretty indistinct - but yes it does look like a dust spot somewhere in the system, probably...

'Fraid I can't think of anything helpful to say.

Nick

Rod Souter
4th March 2010, 11:38 PM
If you stop right down and then take a pic of a clear sky, dust spots on the sensor should show up. I recall that Olyflyer mentioned this technique to reveal sensor dust on any system.

HTH

Rod

j.baker
4th March 2010, 11:39 PM
It looks like dust on the sensor to me. A good test would be to photograph a whitesheet of paper with lots of light (flash would be good) @ a very slow speed (F12+ @ ISO 100-200) in RAW mode.

Then up the exposure and historgram stretch in your image editing tool and do edge detection. This should highlight any problems.

Then try it with another lens. if you see the same marks, then I think you need to clean your camera.

stevednp3
4th March 2010, 11:55 PM
Cheers guys that explains why it looks worse on differnt exposures so makes sense now that it would be the sensor. What do you recommend for cleaning. I'm not confident to go sweeping inside. But is it worth me locking up the mirror and giving the inside a small blast with an air can or could that make matters worse and that brushing the sensor is best. I have a cleaning brush set, just never done it before. *chr

j.baker
5th March 2010, 12:07 AM
do not blow any air in the camera....you may make things worse.

I would suggest getting a local camera shop to clean it.....I believe that John TheMusicMan used a Bristo camera shop that did it while he waited. I have cleaned my own sensor on an E510, but then i had some special fluid and some applicators.

What camera body do you have. If it is not too old (2 years if uk part otherwise 1 yr), you may be able to get it cleaned by Olympus under the warranty

stevednp3
5th March 2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks john I thought so I'll blow at anything with my aircan:o

I'm not confident enough to do it myself so thanks I'll ask the other john where he went.

It's an e30 it is under 2 years, but would prefer to take it somewhere local if I can
*chr

j.baker
5th March 2010, 12:45 AM
most camera shops will charge between 25-50 for the cleaning. Olympus may not charge at all, but you may loose the camera for a week or two.

Olympus do a very good job at cleaning the camera.

ndl0071
5th March 2010, 08:36 AM
I suffered the same problem last year with my E3, the 'blobs' would only show up after long exposures though and not at normal shutter speeds, I just needed to clone during pp to get rid of it.
Not really knowing what to do as a long term solution I decided to take the 'bury your head in the sand' approach, which did on this occasion work as the dust eventually worked its way out of the system and now it's perfectly OK again.
Depending on how much it bothers you it may be worth trying this approach.

stevednp3
5th March 2010, 09:50 AM
I suffered the same problem last year with my E3, the 'blobs' would only show up after long exposures though and not at normal shutter speeds, I just needed to clone during pp to get rid of it.
Not really knowing what to do as a long term solution I decided to take the 'bury your head in the sand' approach, which did on this occasion work as the dust eventually worked its way out of the system and now it's perfectly OK again.
Depending on how much it bothers you it may be worth trying this approach.

Thanks, to be honest this is what im thinking, I called a local shop and they charge 60, as I have a few weddings to do this year Im bound to pick up more dust in this time, so I may wait a little while and see if it goes or have it cleaned after my busy period

This the first sensor I need cleaned on a e-system, all my past models kept themselves clean.

But at least its not the lens which would be more costly to repair

Thanks everyone I'll let you know how I get on *chr