PDA

View Full Version : Ab-so-lutely useless!

Jim Ford
1st March 2010, 07:39 PM
I thought I'd give my HLD-4 grip one last try on my E3 with AAs.

I put a new set of 'Panasonic Xteme Power' Oxyride cells (which are supposed to be 'the business' for the HLD-4), and switched on. The battery indicator showed 'full' so I though I was good to go.

I went out with the camera, but took a BLM1 battery as insurance. It was just as well, as the first time I tried taking a shot the camera didn't work and the battery indicator showed red. I then removed the HLD-4 and fitted the BLM1 and took my shot.

What _is_ it with Olympus and AAs in the HLD-4 - why won't they just come out and say 'Sorry folks, it doesn't work - forget it.'? There's no shame in it - we all get things wrong at times. The designer can then get back to designing chocolate teapots!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a practical use for the HLD-4 AA cell holder? I can only think of using it as a rack for marbles!

Jim

Jim

wanderer
1st March 2010, 08:41 PM
Yup.
I tried it one day & barely got 30 shots out of it.:(
Its very good for holding a spare and a half sets of batteries for the FL-50.
But not much else.

Invicta
2nd March 2010, 07:53 PM
I have good results using Ni-MH AA batteries in the HLD-4 grip. I think the HLD-4 needs AA batteries with a high mAh rating.

The other advantage of these rechargeable batteries is they keep their charge a long time (one year plus) so you can have a set in your camera bag just in case and be sure they will have charge.

I use Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH. Somebody on these forums posted a good review of several different brands of Ni-MH a while back.