PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How long will an FL-50 last left on without firing?

oly_om
26th February 2010, 04:20 PM
Any ideas? - doing some night shots and waiting for my prey - I don't want to find the flash has run out of juice. BTW, I will be leaving it turned on with a remote trigger, but not connected to the camera. I am using 2900mAh NiMH batteries...

Andy

Graham_of_Rainham
26th February 2010, 04:46 PM
Switched my one on at 16:46

I'll let you know when it goes off :D

Wreckdiver
26th February 2010, 05:38 PM
Just put a couple of FL-50Rs on fitted with 2800mAh cells. Could be a long wait :D

Steve

Graham_of_Rainham
26th February 2010, 06:08 PM
I got called away to eat dinner but it's now off. However it's not the batteries that have given up so I think it turns itself off after about an hour...

In the manual it mentions "Auto Power Off" but relates that to the camera.

Maybe Olympus / Ian can give a definative answer :confused:

oly_om
26th February 2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks, guys!

Andy

Wreckdiver
26th February 2010, 06:33 PM
My two FL-50Rs also turned off after an hour.

Steve

oly_om
27th February 2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the info - useful to know about the 50Rs too - I was planning on triggering the FL50 on a cable trigger. I've just been out tonight trying to get a badger - saw them, just didn't wander into the 'studio' area (pre-arranged logs and flash). I was using my metz 48 - the quiescent current on it is very low. I had it on in slave mode for 6 hours before I gave up and came home. For this type of 'wait a long time and get one (or zero) shot(s)', the metz may be more suitable. I'll try to get another one soon... The quiescent current on the 48 was 27mA (measured) - so, given it doesn't turn off without asking, should give many, many hours of standby.

Thanks again for your help,

Andy