PDA

View Full Version : Only 10mp, AP, Dan Chung & realism

emirpprime
19th November 2007, 10:45 PM
This weeks Amateur Photographer has Dan Chung's commentary on the D3 and why he is switching to Nikon. I found it interesting where he talks about it being only 12mp compared to Canon's 21. His view that as a PJ, the file sizes on the Canon are just too big and unweildy, and for his type of work offer no benefits.
This is how I feel about the E3. I have had shots from my E1's 5mp sensor (no stitching etc) cropped square and blown up to 4x4 foot with no problems, so i'm sure 10mp will be fine ;) It is also the mixture of size, weather sealing and features that I think makes it a great PJ style camera. I have no worries about it surviving beer being pored over it (and me) covering gigs, rain at Remembrance Sunday or mud at downhill races. Neither is it going to break my back to carry it all day.
Back when the E1 was released there was a hoohah about it having only 5mp vs 6 in the competition, and while I'm sure we will see some of that, hopefully there will be less and we will get more actual photographers talking about it as I think it is them who will appreciate the Oly mentality.

I realise I am preaching to the choir, but I think even we need reminding sometimes that it doesn't matter what features you do or don't have, it's whether it enables you to get the shot that matters.

Phil

theMusicMan
19th November 2007, 10:48 PM
.. and on top of that, the skills of the photographer too.

We all have our preferences, mine is Olympus gear, for others it's Canikon gear... that's fine.

I judge a photo not by the camera that was used to take it, but by what i see in the image.

DerekW
20th November 2007, 01:18 PM
If the different ratios of 4 by 3 compared to 2 by 3 is taken into account and the need to crop more from a 2 by 3 image to get it onto a standard sheet of paper eg A4 or 10 by 8 then the difference between a 5 or 6mp and a 10 and 12 mp image is less significant.