PDA

View Full Version : 50-200mm SWD

forester
23rd February 2010, 05:46 PM
How much movement in the fully extended 50-200SWD lens should there be? If any? *chr

StephenL
23rd February 2010, 06:17 PM
If you mean lateral, then just a tad. Hardly enough to measure but just enough to feel.

Shaw
23rd February 2010, 06:19 PM
How much movement in the fully extended 50-200SWD lens should there be? If any? *chr

I have very little on mine - less than half a millimetre

Stewart

forester
23rd February 2010, 07:06 PM
So some movement is ok then,
I find it a superb lens though even with a 1.4 tele converter fitted, super fast focus speeds, far better than my Canon 7D with a 300mm f4 is lens, now sold and I don’t regret it, not as good as the “reviewers” would have us believe.*chr

Wee man
23rd February 2010, 07:20 PM
Mine to just detect it if you rock it.

Stephen I see your new lens cloth has taken over as your avatar. Settled in well I take it.

StephenL
23rd February 2010, 07:50 PM
Rules the roost!

Stephen I see your new lens cloth has taken over as your avatar. Settled in well I take it.

E-3
23rd February 2010, 08:45 PM
Mine has a very, very slight amount of play in it :)

oly_om
23rd February 2010, 08:59 PM
So some movement is ok then,
I find it a superb lens though even with a 1.4 tele converter fitted, super fast focus speeds, far better than my Canon 7D with a 300mm f4 is lens, now sold and I don’t regret it, not as good as the “reviewers” would have us believe.*chr

Interesting point about the 300/4. There was a discussion about a day ago here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=205344.

The intention was to help a friend, the poster. The bokeh of this lens suffered very badly from having a filter fitted. When I pointed out the appalling bokeh fringing (which wasn't filter related) and asked the obvious question as to whether this was normal for this lens, there was a deafening silence. Seems Canon folk don't like others pointing out their L series glass might be not all it's cracked up to be...

Frankly, I don't think many of the Canon lenses are up to the resolution of the 7D - the extra resolution is somewhat wasted on everything but the very best prime lenses. Few people seem to realise that glass designed for full-frame probably won't have sufficient resolution for a high pixel count APS-C sensor.

Andy

forester
23rd February 2010, 09:12 PM
The Canon 7D for me was very overrated, I had far better results from my 1D mk 11n and that is only 8.3 meg it was just a pity it was so heavy.
Many people I knew were changing from the 1D to the 7D for their wild life work because the 7D had such good reviews. I was just left cold by it.
I don’t regret selling all my Canon gear one bit, the AF on the E30 with the SWD lenses is a match for anything on the market today IMHO.

oly_om
23rd February 2010, 09:19 PM
The Canon 7D for me was very overrated, I had far better results from my 1D mk 11n and that is only 8.3 meg it was just a pity it was so heavy.
Many people I knew were changing from the 1D to the 7D for their wild life work because the 7D had such good reviews. I was just left cold by it.
I don’t regret selling all my Canon gear one bit, the AF on the E30 with the SWD lenses is a match for anything on the market today IMHO.

The majority of my raptor pictures are with the 50-200SWD and the E-3 - the AF has its foibles, but I seem to get a lot more keepers than folks I know with Canon and Nikon gear! (Save for those folks who have a later model 1D).

My raptor shots are on my picasa gallery (below) in any album called 'Raptor Foundation....'

Andy

Kittykat23uk
31st August 2010, 12:42 PM
I know this is a long shot but, has anyone been able to compare the mk 1 and mk 2 versions on an E620? I'm wondering if the 620 can take advantage of the SWD or whether a mk 1 would do the job just as well on this camera. :D

I have a 70-300 comingbut still considering this lens too... :D

ETA: I think I've got the answer from Olympus tech support, "the faster SWD motor is most beneficial used with the E-3, there will not be big difference when used with the E-620."

j.baker
31st August 2010, 02:01 PM
I have both. The SWD is fast focusing, but the 600/620 should be able to use it. That said, there the Mk1 is not too slow.