PDA

View Full Version : Adobe DNG and E-600

jamie allan
20th February 2010, 02:40 PM
For anyone shooting RAW files and needing to use Adobe DNG Converter to whichever post processing software you use there is an issue with the E-600. DNG does not recognise the ORF files from the E-600 as it is not on the list of cameras supported. See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
It appears that this is an issue for Lightroom users as well.
The only solution meantime appears to be to convert in Master 2 to TIFF.
Jamie

Dave_T
22nd February 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi, first post here so thought I'd say hello and hope my experience may help some other E600 users out:

I'm also a Lightroom user and recently bought the E600 so that I could try out RAW editing, was pretty miffed when I found out I couldn't import ORF files from the E600. Tried it out before buying the E600 on some downloaded E620 files and all was OK, so this was unexpected.

The problem I have found is that Lightroom uses the model number in the EXIF data to decide if it's OK to import the data. If you change the model from E600 to E620 in the ORF EXIF data then LR imports the file successfully.

One way to do this is to use an EXIF editor such as 'EXIFtool GUI' (http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/), this will allow you to change the model number and will also batch modify ORF files and backup the old files as well if required (essential!).

I have used this method on a few hundred files now and seems to be the best workround, easier and quicker that converting to TIFF.

Hope this helps, Dave

jamie allan
22nd February 2010, 10:47 PM
Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded and installed the ExifToolGUI and got it working ok. I've Photoshop CS3 so I'm now going RAW File-ExifToolGUI-Adobe DNG Converter-CS3. I might just go back to jpeg using large super fine setting - I can't really see it making much difference to my images. I'm pleased with the camera though - I have a E410 with no IS but also have a 70-300mm lens. Already I can get decent images with the lens on the E600 hand held. I also got the battery grip for £25 from Jessops so it kind of balances the 70-300 better.
Thanks again.
Jamie

padgreen
23rd February 2010, 07:40 PM
For those that are interested there appears to be a Mac Exif Tool Editor that should enable you to make Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom think your E600 is an E620 as described by Dave_T above.

I think this program is different to the one Dave_T mentioned but it should do the same thing. You can get Mac or Windows versions from here:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

At this stage I haven't a clue how it works so if anyone else tries it, I'd be interested to know how they get on.

jamie allan
23rd February 2010, 08:58 PM
For those that are interested there appears to be a Mac Exif Tool Editor that should enable you to make Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom think your E600 is an E620 as described by Dave_T above.

I think this program is different to the one Dave_T mentioned but it should do the same thing. You can get Mac or Windows versions from here:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

At this stage I haven't a clue how it works so if anyone else tries it, I'd be interested to know how they get on.
Padgreen,
It's the same author - Phil Harvey so I think its the same tool. The Windows and Mac instruction can be found here http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/. I just followed the instructions and once installed it is fairly easy to use. Simply highlight the raw files in the folder on the lhs and press the button under the exif icon on the rhs. This opens another window allowing you to alter the exif data - including the camera model. Only thing to watch is that it creates a backup of the original file in each case so your double your disk space usage if you are not careful. Another thing to note is that you can now fool the e-group challenge requirement for a valid date stamp!
Jamie

padgreen
24th February 2010, 11:12 AM
OK thanks. I'll have a read of the documentation. I now need to decide whether to pick up an E600 as a carry round or get a 9-18 instead.

jamie allan
24th February 2010, 11:49 AM
Padgreen,
According to another member here he got an e-600 from Currys for £319 - seems they have a £10 off offer if you spend so much. At PCWorld it was £329.
Jamie

Dave_T
24th February 2010, 09:06 PM
Padgreen,
....Another thing to note is that you can now fool the e-group challenge requirement for a valid date stamp!
Jamie

Oh dear what have I done?

As for getting an E600 for £319 :eek:, I thought I had got a bargain when I bought mine for £399 a couple of weeks ago! :mad:

donmcmahan
2nd March 2010, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't it be handy if someone figured out how to just hack the camera, put a bit of code in the E-600s firmware that makes it write E-620 into the exif;)

Toonman
2nd March 2010, 02:58 PM
Jamie did you say battery grip was only£25 from Jessops!?

Adam

jamie allan
2nd March 2010, 04:00 PM
Adam,
Yes it was on their website at that price and I reserved one in Glasgow and collected it about 10 days ago. I can't see it there now though.
Jamie

Toonman
2nd March 2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks Jamie
Just checked on E-bay. There a couple of Genuine ones going for £29 I can't believe the price. Does it make a lot of diference when on the camera?

jamie allan
2nd March 2010, 05:48 PM
Adam,
I've got the 70-300mm lens - that's the main reason I wanted an IS camera as on full extension I couldn't get a decent image with the e410 I have unless it was on a tripod. Having the grip on the e600 certainly balances up the 70-300 much better - I've been taking moon shots hand held to see how it handles - I couldn't have done that before. It also gives you the option of taking it off and using the e600 as it was intended - a light easy to handle dSLR.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P2213176s.jpg
You know that the grip has a control dial and shutter button on it as well?
It's actually never been off my e600 - I've a Uniross 2nd battery in it as well.
At £29 you really cant go wrong.
Jamie

Jake
2nd March 2010, 05:56 PM
Wouldn't it be handy if someone figured out how to just hack the camera, put a bit of code in the E-600s firmware that makes it write E-620 into the exif;)
..and while they are in there unlock all the E620 stuff they have just not included becuase the camera itself is actually an E620 its just the limitations put in the firmware that make it an E600.:)

Toonman
3rd March 2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Jamie. Great shot.

I bought the E-600 from Currys at £399 for the twin kit. It should have been £409 but they knocked me a further £10 off! :)

Adam

Toonman
6th March 2010, 05:57 AM
Jamie thanks. I managed to get one of the last grips from Jessops for £25.
*chr

DekHog
10th March 2010, 05:57 PM
Despite following all the instructions, I can't get ExifTool to run in GUI mode, only in a command window... anyone any ideas?

jamie allan
10th March 2010, 07:31 PM
Despite following all the instructions, I can't get ExifTool to run in GUI mode, only in a command window... anyone any ideas?
What operating system are you using?

PeterBirder
10th March 2010, 07:41 PM

I have the same problem, driving me crazy. Using windows VISTA:mad:

DekHog
10th March 2010, 07:49 PM
What operating system are you using?

Win 7 32bit - it says on the webpage it runs on all OS's, and that he runs it on Win 7 64bit himself... :confused:

jamie allan
10th March 2010, 07:52 PM
Peter/Derek,
Did you follow these instructions?

Download:
ExifToolGUI -there's also short text file included, which you should read!
Click HERE to download ExifTool from Phil Harvey's site -where you choose "Windows Executable" download!
Note:: You need both above to run ExifToolGUI. You don't need "Perl" installed (or anything else) for using ExifToolGUI.
To apply lossless rotations of JPG files, "jhead.exe" and "jpegtran.exe" are required. Both are included in GUI zip or you can download them from web (do Google).

Installation:
ExifToolGUI and ExifTool don't need to be installed -just unzip both into any folder and make ExifToolGUI shortcut to Desktop.
Note: After unzipping ExifTool, you must rename "exiftool(-k).exe" to "exiftool.exe".
If needed, copy "jhead.exe" and "jpegtran.exe" into Windows directory.
Now, ExifToolGUI is ready to use.

Info:
ExifToolGUI doesn't write anything into registry file. After first usage, all settings are written into "ExifToolGUI.ini" file, which is automatically created in the same folder where you've unzipped/saved "ExifToolGUI.exe".
Introduction:
There are many tools for viewing/editing metadata inside image files. In my opinion, ExifTool by Phil Harvey, is the best I've found so far. Here's why:
# -it shows more metadata tags than any other tool,
# -it allows to edit almost any metadata tag,
# -it is very secure to use,
# -it is regulary updated and free, etc. ...

The only downside for many potential users is the fact, that ExifTool is "Command-Line" utility. That means, there's no Graphic User Interface (GUI), so all work must be done by typing commands inside "Command Prompt" window. Such approach gives ExifTool great flexibility, but is somehow difficult to use -especially for those who aren't familiar with old DOS workflow.

So, I've decided do make some simple ExifTool GUI for my private use. There are allready some GUI's that make use of ExifTool, but some of them are not flexible enough (for my needs) and/or have quite limited use. Making ExifToolGUI, the main goal was:
# -view all metadata that ExifTool recognizes,
# -ability to edit most frequently used Exif, IPTC and XMP metadata tags,
# -batch capability (where appropriate), means: you can select multiple files and modify them at once.

Purpose:
It was not my goal to implement all ExifTool options into GUI, but only those which I need most often. ExifToolGUI isn't (and can't be) DAM replacement. Even I use GUI as my main tagging tool, it's purpose is: examine, rescue and change image metadata.

Disclaimer:
As ExifTool is free, ExifToolGUI is freeware too. ExifToolGUI is not "open source" software and you use it at your own risk.

I simply followed these instructions to the letter and it worked for me.
I see that this site http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/ looks to be closing down.

DekHog
10th March 2010, 08:13 PM
I totally missed the ExifToolGUI link, my eyes just thought it was hightlighted text, and also read it as they what they wanted to see... ExifTool, not ExifToolGUI!

Got the GUI working anyway, just about to try and find out how you edit the camera type... I guess I can switch the camera back to raw from jpeg now... *chr

Dave_T
10th March 2010, 08:17 PM
Do you have any 'emulation' modes in Vista/Win 7? I'm running it in XP and it runs perfectly, if you can emulate it in an XP mode perhaps this would work.

DekHog
10th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Do you have any 'emulation' modes in Vista/Win 7? I'm running it in XP and it runs perfectly, if you can emulate it in an XP mode perhaps this would work.

I would think Peter has probably done the same as me and totally missed the first link... time will tell... :D

jamie allan
10th March 2010, 08:36 PM
Derek,
From my previous post you can see how to change the camera

Padgreen,
It's the same author - Phil Harvey so I think its the same tool. The Windows and Mac instruction can be found here http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/. I just followed the instructions and once installed it is fairly easy to use. Simply highlight the raw files in the folder on the lhs and press the button under the exif icon on the rhs. This opens another window allowing you to alter the exif data - including the camera model. Only thing to watch is that it creates a backup of the original file in each case so your double your disk space usage if you are not careful. Another thing to note is that you can now fool the e-group challenge requirement for a valid date stamp!
Jamie

PeterBirder
10th March 2010, 10:48 PM
I would think Peter has probably done the same as me and totally missed the first link... time will tell... :D

I got the basics right but missed the bit in the FAQ's about two variants of the exiftool.exe file. Now got that sorted and can change my E-600 to an E-620.:)
However as I feared DxO Optics Pro is too smart and can detect that the EXIF has been changed, probably by reading the serial No or something.:mad:
I have emailed DxO requesting a solution but no response yet.I wonder if Ian has any contacts at DxO he could lobby on behalf of the increasing number of E-600 owners on here.;)
Incidently the amount of data contained in the EXIF is frightening, I think mine actually includes what I had for breakfast.:eek:

Regards

sputnik
12th March 2010, 10:21 AM
Sorry I am new to this forum- My apologies if its the wrong thread !

Apart from RAW file input problem in major editing software e,g Adobe & Bibble Pro 5, I have some issues here with image parameters
I found images taken even at ISO400 a bit grainy, noisy in bright daylight with gradation set to normal and ISO filter set to standard

Previously I owned E-410- very smooth image upto ISO1600 in dark lit British Meuseum
Could it be individual case ? though I read the manual throughly and even consulted www.biofos.com for camera customization published for Olympus E-620( both cameras are almost same)
I bought my camera from Curry's in Dec2009

Thanks in advance :)

DekHog
12th March 2010, 10:30 AM
Totally different processing engines though - your 410 was probably giving smooth images at the expense of detail. Nothing a decent noise reduction package wouldn't sort out with the E-600 images.