PDA

View Full Version : Equivalent lenses in the Canikon stable

David Gethin
18th February 2010, 11:56 PM
Having just posted a bit of an essay on my first 6 months as an Oly user (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=65801#post65801), I thought I would ask a serious question about lenses.

Compared with the Canikon and third party offerings there is far less on offer for 4/3, but if Oly have chosen the 'right' path in their choice of lenses what do people see as the equivalent competition from the others? By this I mean in terms of a combination of IQ, how fast the lens, focus speed, DOF, focal length (in 35mm terms) and perhaps as a corollary to this price - are certain Oly lenses overpriced for what they offer, or indeed great value? Indeed are some of Oly's better offerings worthy of being considered natural competition of L lenses?

The lenses that I'm interested in comparing are:

8mm fisheye
7-14mm
9-18mm
25mm
14-54mm
12-60mm
35-100mm
50-200mm
70-300mm
90-250mm

Over to you guys...

Kiwi Paul
19th February 2010, 12:45 PM
I'll comment on the lenses I have, the 14-35, 35-100 and 90-250, I think these lenses are Oly equivalent of Canon L glass or Nikon G lenses (24-70, 70-200, 200-400). At first glance the Zuiko lenses seem overpriced especially when they don't have IS built in as the Canikon's do. But it's not really comparing apples with apples directly. The Zuiko lenses have half the focal length as the L and G lenses for equivalent full frame focal length but are f2.0 lenses (14-35 and 35-100) whereas the Canikons are f2.8. I can't comment on the quality (optical or otherwise) of the Canikons as I've not used them but I suspect the Zuiko's are at least as good in every respect and quite possibly better.
The big advantage of the Zuiko's over Canikon with the lenses I've listed is that they are f2.0 giving a 1 stop advantage and they can be used wide open with perfectly acceptable results (I believe the Canikons are a bit soft wide open but don't quote me). The 90-250 f2.8 while seeming expensive does give the FF equiv of 180-500mm @ f2.8, unheard of in the Canikon camp and this lens truly is superb and again can be used wide open with perfectly acceptable results.
The Canikon guys seem reluctant to use 2x teleconvertors with the L or G lenses as they seem to think the IQ suffers too much, the lens becomes too slow and they have focus issues, I've not experienced any of this with the 3 Zuiko lenses mentioned, perhaps Zuiko have a better quality convertor than the the others, I don't know.
One thing is for sure the Zuiko glass is one good reason to stay with Oly.

Paul

E-3
19th February 2010, 01:11 PM
I have been using Canon L glass up to very recently with a EOS-1Ds, & can honestly say that without a doubt zuiko lenses are by far the sharpest, which is one of the reasons I have decided to change to Olympus (the other main reason is dust problems on the sensor with the canon). So have Olympus got it right?................................well you get what you pay for :)