PDA

View Full Version : E-3 +12-60 ... worth the purchase now?

Trausti Hraunfjord
16th February 2010, 02:06 AM
Hi all.

I came across a vendor of E-3 with the 12-60 lens, and his initial price is $1300 / 830. I can most likely push it down to $1200 / 765 ....

My question is if it is really worth it at this point in time? The lens alone is worth the major part of the total price... and in my position, I don't have the luxury of finding Olympus equipment in many places here in Peru, and this is the first time I have seen the E-3 here, and also the first time I have seen the 12-60 ... it is still considered as one of the best lenses right?

Should I jump on it, or .... let it pass me by, and regret it for a long time?

I already have E-520 and Zuiko 8mm fisheye (for panorama shooting), and the kit lenses 14-42 and 40-150... which are ok for what they are made for.

The E-3 camera feels really good in my hands. It is not as "femalish" as the 520, due to weight and size.

What are the main positive things the E-3 has to offer over the E-520, that will benefit me?
Is it less power hungry?
Does the autofocus work better/faster?
something else?

Hope to get the opinion from those of you who know, before I do something stupid... am going to the shop again tomorrow (for you "Today"), so drop me an opinion here if you have the time... and I will have something to chew on and think about.

Thanks in advance.

Trausti

StephenL
16th February 2010, 07:44 AM
Well, I think you've answered your own question. If the E-3 feels good in your hands, that's the main thing. Focussing with the 12-60 is very fast. The price sounds good. Don't know about power - I would say about the same (it uses the same batteries as your E-520). You will soon be wanting more lenses! Go for it!!

Wreckdiver
16th February 2010, 08:13 AM
At that price Trausti I'd bite his hand off, I wouldn't be hanging around wondering should I or shouldn't I.

The 12-60mm SWD lens is superb. Go for it.

Steve

j.baker
16th February 2010, 08:20 AM
If you can sell you current camera for a good price , you would basically just be paying for the 12-60mm lens with a free E3. :D

There may well be a newer model on its way out, but it isnt out yet. Plus even when it is announced it will take a while to get into the shops. Plus I bet it will cost a fair bit.

If I did not own two 12-60mms I would pay the $1200 for the lens and the body.

Melaka
16th February 2010, 09:10 AM
Buy it before someone else does.

yorky
16th February 2010, 09:51 AM
I concur with the others, Grab it, Even if the new model comes out soon it will be top price and the E3 is a very capapble camera and delivers consistant results with ease.

Pete Riley
16th February 2010, 10:05 AM
If I lived in Peru you would have to fight me for it. I WOULD WIN

Howi
16th February 2010, 12:54 PM
I think your question has been answered, you lucky devil, what a bargain!

photo_owl
16th February 2010, 03:40 PM
At that price Trausti I'd bite his hand off, I wouldn't be hanging around wondering should I or shouldn't I.

The 12-60mm SWD lens is superb. Go for it.

Steve

Indeed - I would only be worried that it would get sold to someone else before I closed the deal! :mad:

AlistairJ
16th February 2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah great value

The E-3 beats the E-520 on several key features

And the 12-60 is just excellent as an all-round lens

The only downside is that the 520/14-42 is a lot smaller and lighter, which may be a big factor if for example you carry it long distances.

Even if there is an E-3 replacement (E-5?) it will be a long while before its price comes down to a sensible level.

Rod Souter
16th February 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Trausti,

That sounds like a bargain, as others have said the E-3's replacement will be very expensive. The camera is very strong, the lens is very good at all focal lengths except for the 12mm end, (see the review on dpreview).

Best Wishes

Rod

Who's_E
16th February 2010, 09:31 PM
Trausti,

That is a very good deal at $1,300. In fact it could be too good. I if I were in your shoes I would buy it as long as I knew the camera and lens were all present and correct.

Nick

Trausti Hraunfjord
16th February 2010, 11:16 PM
Thank you all for unanimous verdict, which I took to heart, went to the store, checked the camera and lens and features and functions... all worked perfectly. The camera has never been used. It doesn't have a single scratch mark or other wear. The battery charger and battery don't have ANY markings from sliding the battery on/off the charger. It looks and feels as new as the day it came out of the factory...

Using the following method to find out how many actuations it has:

1) Power on the camera
2) Open the CF door
3) Press OK and Menu together
4) Press up, down, left, right, shutter-release, left
5) Press right to get to p. 2, # of shutter actuations are listed next to 'R'.

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

.... and it shows that the camera only has 517 pictures shot... that's probably from customers in the shop trying it out.

I still can't believe my luck.

I got the price down to $1230 / 779 and am really happy for the purchase. It comes with a 1 year guarantee, receipt and all cables, software disk and a pouch for the camera.

This was the only Olympus in the shop, while there was a bunch of Canons and Nikons... the seller asked if I wouldn't rather buy one of the other cameras... I told him in return that I considered Olympus like my wife. There are MANY good wife's "out there", but MY wife is MY wife, and that's the only one I love and am devoted to... so no matter if the other cameras are more common, more lenses, more service, more whatever... I stay with my wife, and let the others do their own things.

I think that is the speech that got him to lower the impossibly low price, towards my "goal" of $1200.

Normally cameras here in Peru are double the price tag... even 3 times the price of the same cameras in the USA... so this is beyond normal luck. I'm in 7th heaven... and my wife (the living breathing one) is very happy for me too...

Again many thanks to you all for encouraging and reassuring me of how good a deal this would be.

Now I have to play around with it..... and yes, the autofocus is lightning fast compared to the 520... and much better pictures coming out of it.

baldyb
16th February 2010, 11:28 PM
Trausti
I think Christmas just came very early for you!
Enjoy...............
Kevin

Wreckdiver
16th February 2010, 11:31 PM
Fantastic bargain, especially as you got the price even lower. You won't be disappointed. Look forward to seeing the results of your purchase here in the galleries.

Steve

Trausti Hraunfjord
17th February 2010, 04:03 AM
Just a little update:

I am in LOVE with the camera and the lens. This is simply the best I have ever had. Some 22 years back, I had Olympus OM20 and various lenses I purchased here and there. Nothing fancy, nothing special... taking photos was just an occational hobby of mine, and never ever a serious one. When I had a handful of film rolls, months might have passed from the first roll had been shot... and this obviously never provided me with any insight into the lens quality or differences, because I had no information / memory of which lens was used for what shot.

Now I am experiencing the 12-60 vs the 14-42 ... yeah, laugh at me... I deserve it! The 14-42, which is a good "kit lens"... is nowhere close to being acceptable in quality compared to the 12-60. The difference is as clear cut as crystal clear water in a glass, compared to a mud-hole full of rainwater. I would never have believed how incredibly big the difference could be. Even a blind person can "see" the difference.

So I tried to put the 12-60 on the 520 body, and lo and behold! The camera's autofocus was there in a split second, and shot a good picture... something it has never been able to do properly with the 14-42 or the 40-150 kit lenses. Also, putting the 14-42 on the E-3 body resulted in the E-3 getting confused on the autofocus... taking quite a long time to find an acceptable position and finally shoot the picture. I always thought the 520 body was bad... right from the day I bought it. Was actually grabbing the old C-8080 to shoot family pictures rather than the 520, simply to save myself from the disappointment of the camera not getting into autofocus quickly.

Now the 520 has proven itself to be a darn good camera... as long as it has a darn good lens mounted on it.

This makes me doubly happy :)

... and I'm still not believing my luck, getting the combo for what is probably less than production price.

Now I simply need to find remote controls for the E-3, and I will be happy for years to come. Simply AWESOME lens and camera!

j.baker
17th February 2010, 08:29 AM
Thats great new about you camera. I hope you continue to enjoy you purchase.

Regarding remote controls. You can get clone wired and wireless ones from ebay. I have both here. They work, and they were cheap.....what more an I say.

Wreckdiver
17th February 2010, 10:02 AM
Now I simply need to find remote controls for the E-3, and I will be happy for years to come.

I would recommend getting hold of a genuine RM-CB1 if you can. Although many people seem to be using the cheaper ones as John mentions above there are reports of some of them damaging the socket on the E-3, pushing the pins in. I recon getting repairs where you are might not be a straightforward matter.

Glad you like the camera and lens, we knew you would :)

Steve

StephenL
17th February 2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, get the real thing. I've had quite a few of indeterminate-make 3rd party remotes and only one has stood up to the test of time, whereas the Olympus one just keeps on working. They are expensive for a reason....

I would recommend getting hold of a genuine RM-CB1 if you can. Although many people seem to be using the cheaper ones as John mentions above there are reports of some of them damaging the socket on the E-3, pushing the pins in. I recon getting repairs where you are might not be a straightforward matter.

Glad you like the camera and lens, we knew you would :)

Steve

E-3
17th February 2010, 01:06 PM
I can not believe how cheaply you picked up an E-3 & 12-60mm for. You should be very happy with your new purchase, but you have just depressed me knowing what I paid for mine :(

Trausti Hraunfjord
18th February 2010, 12:07 AM
I can not believe how cheaply you picked up an E-3 & 12-60mm for. You should be very happy with your new purchase, but you have just depressed me knowing what I paid for mine :(

You shouldn't be depressed... I have been surfing for such a combo online, and found NOTHING world wide that comes even close to my find. The cheapest I could find, was a body $1.100 from one place, and the lens for $800 from another place. Both from the US, which would be a problem for me in regard to shipping, added import tax and VAT. So if the basic price for both was 1800, there would be the cost of shipping, $50-100 for each item (IF the shop would accept sending goods to South America). That brings the total to around $2000. Then there is 9% import duty (on top of the purchase price + shipping)
Now we're up at $2.180 Then there is the VAT of 19% $410, bringing the whole thing to $2.590.

Instead I got it locally, in a market where most people have never even heard of Olympus as a camera brand... and that simply has to be my luck. The seller/owner/whoever running the shop didn't have a clue as to what he had there. I did not want to jeopardize the deal by saying anything positive about the price or make him aware of the price these cameras go for in much cheaper parts of the world (USA)... but I am of course curious about it's pre-history, and how it ended up in that cheaper than production price range. I can live with the curiousity... since the price was so incredibly low. Probably the cheapest E-3 + 12-60 in the history of the world. One possible scenario is that the camera has been brought over from the US and given as a gift to someone who either passed away, or didn't need it... and therefore sold it unused to the store for what s/he thought as a reasonable price. I can't see any other LEGAL and reasonable option for this. If it had been stolen, the serial number would have been removed, and it would not have been sold from a legal registered shop. So I simply got the luckiest purchase of my life, and I am not expecting to repeat it.

Trausti

Trausti Hraunfjord
1st April 2010, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to say that I absolutely and completely love my E-3/12-60 combo. It is so far beyond the responsiveness and quality the E-520 offers, that I know for a fact, that I will never again purchase a camera for ME, that is anything but the top model from Oly.

It is my first camera that fits my hands like a glove, and even my wife who has much smaller hands (being Peruvian), is in love with the camera as well.

I had my doubts about the justification to go for the top of the line, when the listed differences between it and the "lesser" models were not so many or big.... but having had the camera for around 6 weeks, has convinced me completely about it being the best possible choice amongst the Oly camera line products.

... and no, this is not an april fools statement. Probably this is the most truthful typing on the internet today.

Ian
1st April 2010, 05:03 PM
Just wanted to say that I absolutely and completely love my E-3/12-60 combo. It is so far beyond the responsiveness and quality the E-520 offers, that I know for a fact, that I will never again purchase a camera for ME, that is anything but the top model from Oly.

It is my first camera that fits my hands like a glove, and even my wife who has much smaller hands (being Peruvian), is in love with the camera as well.

I had my doubts about the justification to go for the top of the line, when the listed differences between it and the "lesser" models were not so many or big.... but having had the camera for around 6 weeks, has convinced me completely about it being the best possible choice amongst the Oly camera line products.

... and no, this is not an april fools statement. Probably this is the most truthful typing on the internet today.

Good for you Trausti! :)

Ian