PDA

View Full Version : What is on the horizon for Olympus

Greytop
15th February 2010, 03:24 PM
Although I'm not an active user any more I do still have quite a soft spot for Olympus.
In particular I am interested in the possible E-3 replacement having seen rumours banded about on other forums.

Olympus would only need tackle a few areas for me to seriously consider a move back.

*Smaller weather and dust sealed body
*Improved mid to high ISO performance, ideally on par or close to the Pentax K-x.
*Increase in resolution to around 14mp with a less aggressive anti-aliasing filter.
*Not that I am too bothered but I think they will also need to include HD video to keep pace with the competition.

Are you expecting Oly the release anything soon and if they do which areas of the E-3 and 30 / 620 performance would expect to see enhancements or step change improvements?

Kiwi Paul
15th February 2010, 07:18 PM
We are all waiting eagerly for the E3 replacement but as yet there is no word. I'm optimistically hoping the delay is so they can use the absolute newest technology and make it a very worthy successor not just an upgraded E30 or whatever, good things take time.
I imagine when it does come it will use the latest sensor from Panasonic and the latest processor offering (or even dual processors). Oly stated a while back they would stick with 12Mp sensors and concentrate on increasing dynamic range and improving noise at high ISO's. I would imagine it will extend to 6400 or possibly 12800 ISO.
I do like the size and weight and build quality of the E3 but I suspect the new model will be more along the E30 size.

Just hope it's sooner rather than later and is worth the wait.

Paul

dbutch
15th February 2010, 09:25 PM
I think one of the key drivers of the E-3s size and weight is the viewfinder prism and I can't see Oly reducing that on its flagship! They could shrink the camera around it but unless they do something radical with the ergonomics I can't see it leading to a balanced design.

Personally unless thay have a breakthrough new sensor I would expect the new E-X to be a logical updating of the E-3 with all the current goodies and probably video.

I personally believe that Oly thought that m4/3 would be the video format (it is the more obvious route) and may have been caught out by the acceptance in DSLR

Dave

Kiwi Paul
15th February 2010, 11:36 PM
Good point about the viewfinder / prism, the 100% vf is superb and I'd hate that to go so maybe the size will stay the same, that would be ok by me. The new sensor on the EP-2 is already quite a step up on the E3 sensor so even if that gets used it will still be a fairly significant improvement and combined with advanced firmware and processor technology will hopefully result in a much improved camera.

Paul

Greytop
16th February 2010, 12:02 AM
Perhaps Olympus could reduce the body size around the prism area a little and maybe bring it down to the E-30 size or a little smaller. I really wouldn't mind if they did away with the flash like the E-1, that would help. The E-3 (very nice camera that it is) always seemed like a bit of a battleship given the size of the sensor and mirror box. I'm sure Olympus ingenuity can find a clever packaging solution for the successor.
I agree about the 100% viewfinder you really wouldn't want to lose that.

I shall keep an eye in the Olympus forums for developments. Had the E-30 been weather and dust sealed I would almost certainly still be an Oly user now :)

snaarman
16th February 2010, 08:56 AM
The E-3 (very nice camera that it is) always seemed like a bit of a battleship given the size of the sensor and mirror box.

My thoughts exactly.. It does make me wonder if there is some logic that says our top of the line Pro camera must be a certain minimum size - or it won't be taken seriously when put alongside the Canikon offerings...

Surely not...

yorky
16th February 2010, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't really want it any smaller, at least it doesn't feel plasticy like some, a larger brighter screen would be a vote winner, after comparing it with the Nikon 300 it seems really dull, maybe the duel processor would be a step in the right direction!

Greytop
16th February 2010, 10:26 AM
I always thought compactness and portability was part of the Olympus / four thirds ethos. I considered it a big plus with my old E-510 and now it does feel that others are stealing Oly's thunder, the Pentax K-7 being a prime example.

I would like to see Olympus to move back in that direction with their new flagship :)

StephenL
16th February 2010, 02:33 PM
My thoughts exactly. I had an E-3, and now have an E-30 and E-620. The E-30 is the maximum size I want to go for a DSLR. As regards weatherproofing, well, consumer cameras never used to be and I never had a camera damaged by rain or dust in the last 50 years I've been using them. I just take normal, common-sense, care of my kit. It's easy enough to shield a camera body and let the lens be showerproof.

As to the future, I think Olympus will steer back away from the so-called "pro" cameras and return to the more lucrative (ie, larger spending) serious amateurs who want to get fun out of their hobby and seem not to mind paying for regualr upgrades. :D

I always though compactness and portability was part of the Olympus / four thirds ethos.

I would like to see Olympus to move back in that direction with their new flagship :)

Greytop
16th February 2010, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately weather and dust proofing is pretty much top of list for me. Some inclement conditions (during trekking/hikes) have meant my camera and lens taking a quite severe drenching.
I find that in and out of kit bags etc is not practical as mostly there is no where to shelter.

Kiwi Paul
16th February 2010, 02:59 PM
I agree, I like the weather and dust proofing too and don't want to see that compromised. Oly only seem to upgrade the top pro bodies every 3 years or so, so I'd like it to be a good un with all the extras as it will be a long wait for the next one. They seem to put out / upgrade consumer models semi regularly (E30, E620 etc) so for those not requiring the full blown E'x' there should still be plenty of more compact cheaper options available.

I think the E'x' will always be E3 - E30 size and I hope so too as with the larger Oly lenses they are more suited to a body size and shape of these models, plus the ergonomics etc demand a body size along those dimensions (i.e. with the thumb and fore finger dials etc, something I want them to retain).

Paul

photo_owl
16th February 2010, 03:34 PM
My thoughts exactly.. It does make me wonder if there is some logic that says our top of the line Pro camera must be a certain minimum size - or it won't be taken seriously when put alongside the Canikon offerings...

Surely not...

Olympus were very very detailed about the factors that affected size and weight when they introduced the E30 - surprisingly there was no mention of minimum to be taken seriously.....*zzz

Using the 3 and 30 side by side I much prefer the 30 ergonomics and weight but, were I faced with a decision as to whether to get a 40 or a 4 tomorrow, with the VFs as currently, I would get the 4 every time.

Anyhow - I still expect we will hear what's actually happening within a week (or have to wait until Autumn :eek:)

Kiwi Paul
16th February 2010, 03:37 PM
Whats happening that we may know within a week?

Paul

RogerMac
16th February 2010, 04:48 PM
Whats happening that we may know within a week?

Paul

If there is anything due within a week Oly must have tightened up their security by an order of magnitude. There is usually at least a whisper when a release date is that close.

Mind you nobody seemed to get word of the E620 betore the official announcement.;)

Roger

Greytop
16th February 2010, 06:39 PM
Lets hope their security is good then :)

Steve Lane
17th February 2010, 02:25 PM
I would love to see a 'professional' grade body similar in size to the 600 series. By professional I mean weather sealed and metal bodied. Would it really add much to its size to include the gasket seals?

Regards, Steve.

RogerMac
17th February 2010, 03:47 PM
It looks as if we may have to wait until Feb 28 at 4pm for an announcement

countdown (http://www.evolve.com.my/)

roger

Kiwi Paul
17th February 2010, 03:54 PM
Indeed, watch that space, wonder what we will "evolve" into? The tension is killing me.

Paul

RogerMac
17th February 2010, 04:22 PM
Indeed, watch that space, wonder what we will "evolve" into? The tension is killing me.

Paul

If it means anything more than marketing hype the word evolve seems to imply a new class of camera, here are two suggestions:

1. A mirror less full sized fourthirds camera - that would open up endless possibilities as how to use the freed up space

2. A sensor with most of the 4/3 image circle populated with pixels - the Pany GF1 has gone part of this way already so who knows what is on the horizon.

Any more suggestions?

As all the usual suspects have gone extraordinarily quiet perhaps we ought to start a sweepstake

Roger

dbutch
17th February 2010, 05:18 PM
Seems bit odd as its a Sunday and a week after the big PMA show!

Dave

RogerMac
17th February 2010, 05:29 PM
Its 1am Monday morning in Japan then which is a fairly sensible moment to lift an embargo, however I do agree with you about just after PMA

Roger

crimbo
17th February 2010, 06:03 PM
As all the usual suspects have gone extraordinarily quiet perhaps we ought to start a sweepstake

Roger

It'll be an E5 when it comes

Kiwi Paul
17th February 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm not holding my breath about an E5 but be nice if it is.

Paul

Greytop
17th February 2010, 06:44 PM
It looks as if we may have to wait until Feb 28 at 4pm for an announcement

countdown (http://www.evolve.com.my/)

roger

The suspense :eek:
Sounds very interesting, could 'evolve' mean a prismless, mirrorless flagship? Or perhaps more likely some big step in sensor technology? Here's hoping :)

The Saint
17th February 2010, 06:54 PM
I know one thing, it'll probably cost me money!

Simon

forester
17th February 2010, 06:55 PM
The suspense :eek:
Sounds very interesting, could 'evolve' mean a prismless, mirrorless flagship? Or perhaps more likely some big step in sensor technology? Here's hoping :)

Well so this could mean a dip into the pocket again Huw,:D all those lenses you sold and now you will have to buy them all again.*yes
I know you have had withdrawal symptoms when you sold your Oly gear.:(
Lets hope you wishes come true and you get your perfect camera.:)
Best of luck.*chr

Wreckdiver
17th February 2010, 07:08 PM
I just want to see a full frame chip camera and new set of lenses. Keep current 4/3rds for entry level and pro-sumer and FF for pro.

The competition have them.

Steve

Greytop
17th February 2010, 07:43 PM
Well so this could mean a dip into the pocket again Huw,:D all those lenses you sold and now you will have to buy them all again.*yes
I know you have had withdrawal symptoms when you sold your Oly gear.:(
Lets hope you wishes come true and you get your perfect camera.:)
Best of luck.*chr

Thanks Richard, as you know I always keep a very close eye on developments from Olympus.
If this new camera does happen to be a successor to the E-3 and if it ticks more boxes than my current Pentax K-7 I would very seriously consider a move back. If I'm honest I really do miss my 12-60, 50-200 and 50 f/2 lenses :(
Having said that it would have to be killer body to prise the K-7 from my grip ;)
Lets see what they come up with *chr

Kiwi Paul
17th February 2010, 08:00 PM
Might just be an upgraded 25mm pancake lens, lol

Paul

crimbo
17th February 2010, 08:07 PM
Might just be an upgraded 25mm pancake lens, lol

Paul

Nowt wrong with the pancake:p

forester
17th February 2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks Richard, as you know I always keep a very close eye on developments from Olympus.
If this new camera does happen to be a successor to the E-3 and if it ticks more boxes than my current Pentax K-7 I would very seriously consider a move back. If I'm honest I really do miss my 12-60, 50-200 and 50 f/2 lenses :(
Having said that it would have to be killer body to prise the K-7 from my grip ;)
Lets see what they come up with *chr

Well one thing it will be is faster AF than the Pentax, the new Oly’s are blindingly fast, better than the Canon 7D I had.*yes
Mind that was a letdown in more ways than one (Canon 7D) the image quality was not a patch one my old 1D mk11n.:o

Greytop
17th February 2010, 09:53 PM
Well one thing it will be is faster AF than the Pentax, the new Oly’s are blindingly fast, better than the Canon 7D I had.*yes
Mind that was a let down in more ways than one (Canon 7D) the image quality was not a patch one my old 1D mk11n.:o

Well that's a given, certainly much faster AF than my Pentax DA* 16-50 and 60-250 SDM zooms. Funny thing is the screw drive primes (and the kit WR zooms) that I have are all pretty quick with the K-7.
It's really other areas that my focus of interest will lie though (as listed in my original post)...we'll see, it may not even be an E-3 successor but I am hoping *yes

Wee man
17th February 2010, 10:01 PM
Surely if it was a new pancake they would have announced it yesterday....... Boom Boom!:)

Greytop
18th February 2010, 05:37 PM
So fact or fiction?
Many appear to be sceptical with the apparent count down to a product launch :confused:

forester
18th February 2010, 08:05 PM
Well that's a given, certainly much faster AF than my Pentax DA* 16-50 and 60-250 SDM zooms. Funny thing is the screw drive primes (and the kit WR zooms) that I have are all pretty quick with the K-7.
It's really other areas that my focus of interest will lie though (as listed in my original post)...we'll see, it may not even be an E-3 successor but I am hoping *yes

There is one way for you Huw, to get back to an Oly, buy a water proof divers casing, or if you want to do it on the cheap a Tesco’s carrier bag with a hole for the lens to poke through.:D *chr

wanderer
19th February 2010, 04:14 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a battery charge indicator.
I've had several occasions in the Highlands recently when it goes from battery on to dead.
It must be simple these days to have a charge meter and possibly in line with that an inbuilt thermometer to indicate how cold it is. And following on from that, or instead of, a chart in the instruction manual giving an indication of battery life in the field.
Its all very well saying you get 500 or so shots from your battery but if it goes dead just as your ready to shoot, you'll miss the shot of a lifetime.
I notice Snaarman in his 'village in winter' series mentions a battery going flat.
Currently I uses 2 in the power pack & carry four spares.
Talking to Keith Partridge recently
http://www.adventurecamera.co.uk/
he will take up to 30 batteries on an assignment but no charger as in there is nowhere on an icecap, in a cave or the jungle to plug in.

Kiwi Paul
19th February 2010, 04:27 PM
The battery indicator turns red and starts flashing long before the battery actually goes flat, I always find I get adequate warning to change batteries without missing a shot.

Paul

wanderer
19th February 2010, 04:49 PM
I know what you mean but stuck in a frozen bog between blizzards I just concentrate on getting the picture and rarely look at the illumination inside the viewfinder. Its a wonder I get a picture at all.:D

I believe the Nikons do give a better statement of power. (%?)

It is nice to see what batteries do these days compared with only 20 years ago.

snaarman
19th February 2010, 05:10 PM
The battery indicator turns red and starts flashing long before the battery actually goes flat, I always find I get adequate warning to change batteries without missing a shot.

Paul

No, not always. My Hahnel battery goes red then dies in a matter of 5 shots.

:mad:

Pete

meach
20th February 2010, 03:29 PM
No, not always. My Hahnel battery goes red then dies in a matter of 5 shots.

:mad:

Pete

I agree - once the indicator goes red I'm lucky to get another two shots even with my Olympus batteries. I've been caught out a few times now so I always carry at least two spares.

StephenL
20th February 2010, 05:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned, once it's red it's dead. I change batteries when it drops to one green bar. I use a mixture of Olympus and Uniross batteries, all the same.

talepictures.com
21st February 2010, 08:39 AM
Weathersealed normal would be nice actually.

wanderer
21st February 2010, 10:37 AM
So I'm not alone in batteries giving up smartish.
I notice that it does seem to be the hahnel ones.
And Olympus would recommend their own batteries rather than competitors.
I would like to see a little more than 3-2-1 out.
There is a definite correlation with cold temperatures.
I stick spare batteries in an inside pocket and occasionally use a charcoal hand warmer to provide extra warmth.
And it keeps me warm too.

Kiwi Paul
21st February 2010, 01:30 PM
Looks like this countdown link is for the E-PL1 follow the link now and at the bottom RH corner there is copyright text with E-PL1 now added, shame just hope an E-5 gets announced at PMA or just after, don't hold your breath though.

Paul

Meogeo
21st February 2010, 01:54 PM
One thing I do not understand about Camera manufacturers is why do they not use the onboard chipset of the camera, to give users better shooting experiences, Olympus Cameras are now unique enough surely to give the user better control of the camera through a firmware update, any cameras that are launched like this must be on a good little earner, then charge the user for each firmware update to give the camera more applications.

Please note this is just a personal thought and could be a rubbish idea lol.

meach
24th February 2010, 12:59 PM
So I'm not alone in batteries giving up smartish.
I notice that it does seem to be the hahnel ones.
And Olympus would recommend their own batteries rather than competitors.
I would like to see a little more than 3-2-1 out.
There is a definite correlation with cold temperatures.
I stick spare batteries in an inside pocket and occasionally use a charcoal hand warmer to provide extra warmth.
And it keeps me warm too.

This morning I received a brand new E-600 - and in the utility menu there is an option to adjust the battery warning level. The default is of course Zero, and you can choose from -2 to +2. I assume this will also be the case in the E-620 and the E-30, but perhaps it exists in other models too. And it might explain why some of us get more warning than others?

wanderer
2nd March 2010, 09:36 AM
I linked to this through Warehouse Express this morning.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-olympus-sp-800-uz-titanium-silver-digital-camera-plus-free-4gb-card/p10000912?go=kits_bundles&utm_source=WEX098&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OlympusSP800&cm_mmc=email-_-WEX098-_-product-_-OlympusSP800

Far less the extreme telephoto. How would you hold it steady dual stabiliser and all? My thought is that as it uses SDHC cards it presumably spells the death of the XD card.

Greytop
2nd March 2010, 09:41 AM
Well sadly it looks like no announcements for a new flagship E-5 or similar, I guess I will just keep my ear to the ground for future developments but it looks like it might be some time yet :(

Greytop
1st April 2010, 09:18 PM
Well perhaps there is an interesting development on the horizon. Rumour has it there will be a new 4/3 camera announced tomorrow :)

RogerMac
2nd April 2010, 08:49 AM
Well perhaps there is an interesting development on the horizon. Rumour has it there will be a new 4/3 camera announced tomorrow :)

On Good Friday:confused::confused:

They would have difficulty in filling the press conference

Roger

forester
2nd April 2010, 09:57 AM
Are you sure it was not for April 1st Huw.:D
It would be nice though before many sell their E-3 kit, and go to the Dark side. *chr

Greytop
2nd April 2010, 10:01 AM
Rumours, rumours, I think I shall stop getting too wrapped up in this until something is actually announced ;)

Greytop
12th September 2010, 07:01 PM
Now it sort of feels like Christmas eve, don't you think ;)
Hope I'm not disappointed :D

Ian
13th September 2010, 02:28 PM
Now it sort of feels like Christmas eve, don't you think ;)
Hope I'm not not disappointed :D

Out of interest, what features would be a deal-breaker if they weren't included?

Ian

Greytop
13th September 2010, 06:50 PM
Out of interest, what features would be a deal-breaker if they weren't included?

Ian

*Weather sealing is very important to me, that would be a deal breaker.

Other features or improvements I would like, necessarily all deal breakers:-

*Improved DR
*Improved noise control at higher ISO both RAW and Jpeg (I mostly shoot RAW)
*I can live with 12 megapixel resolution but and increase to around 14-15 would be nice so long as not to compromise the previous points.
*More robust and effective C-AF
*A slightly smaller body than E-30 would be nice.
*Retain the same battery as the E-3/30
*I can appreciate some people do not like the idea of HD video but I actually ended up using it quite often with my previous camera (Pentax K-7). Full HD 1080i or 1080P would be nice.
*100% OVF or even an EVF providing it was ground breaking and offered real benefits else where.

So Ian do you think my Christmas present list is realistic ;)

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:29 AM
*Weather sealing is very important to me, that would be a deal breaker.

Other features or improvements I would like, necessarily all deal breakers:-

*Improved DR
*Improved noise control at higher ISO both RAW and Jpeg (I mostly shoot RAW)
*I can live with 12 megapixel resolution but and increase to around 14-15 would be nice so long as not to compromise the previous points.
*More robust and effective C-AF
*A slightly smaller body than E-30 would be nice.
*Retain the same battery as the E-3/30
*I can appreciate some people do not like the idea of HD video but I actually ended up using it quite often with my previous camera (Pentax K-7). Full HD 1080i or 1080P would be nice.
*100% OVF or even an EVF providing it was ground breaking and offered real benefits else where.

So Ian do you think my Christmas present list is realistic ;)

The majority of your hopes are in the E-5 methinks.

There is a new battery type (BLM-5) but I believe it's compatible with the BLM-1 - I used BLM-1s on the E-5 sample I tried last week.

Ian

wanderer
14th September 2010, 09:52 AM
There is a new battery type (BLM-5) but I believe it's compatible with the BLM-1 - I used BLM-1s on the E-5 sample I tried last week.

Oops!:eek: Is this a giveaway?:D
But I suppose it is September the 14th.

Duncan

Ian
14th September 2010, 09:55 AM
Oops!:eek: Is this a giveaway?:D
But I suppose it is September the 14th.

Duncan

Yes, it's all official now Duncan :)

Ian

Greytop
14th September 2010, 11:00 PM
The majority of your hopes are in the E-5 methinks.

Ian

Thanks Ian, however I can't help but feel a little disappointed that Olympus didn't push the boat out a little further with the development of the E-5.
Still... I'm coming around to the idea of looking at the positives of the E-5 and will therefore wait to see how reviews and user experiences stack up before I decide to go for one or not.