PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED The Bigma is back

PeterD
12th February 2010, 08:50 PM
Just to let you know my Bigma has returned from repair after a year on repair (most of it in Japan):D.

Received my lens back today and returned the loan Bigma supplied to me by Sigma. The lens has come back in absolutely prestine condition and a couple of quick test shots in the fading light look very good. I shall enjoy testing it out tomorrow.
For those that may not know, I dropped the lens in February last year, returned it for non-warranty repair as it was my fault it was damaged. Spent about £130 on a repair that resulted in niggles re focussing and it has been completely re-furbished, retested on several bodies and returned to me, free of charge. All this time Sigma let me have a Bigma on loan to ensure I could continue with my wildlife shooting.
This is tremendous support and they have shown again that they put the customer first!:D.

Barrie Norman
13th February 2010, 10:10 AM
Peter

Its nice to read good comments about Sigma, I know some people have had trouble with the Bigma, mine's been OK but Sigma len's are good I know have 4 and they all perform very well. Olympus have always had a superb reputation for their glass but Sigma score on price and the penalty is a very slight reduction in image quality which in most circumstances is not noticable.

I hope the weather stays good and the bigma performs well.

forester
13th February 2010, 10:52 AM
Nice to see another nice outcome from the Sigma service team, I have nothing but praise for them over the years of my dealing with them.
The last lens they did for me was a Canon fit 18-200 IS, a borderline warranty case but they came up with first class service as usual.
My only regret is they donít do more lenses in four thirds fit, one of the being the Sigma 100-300mm f4, but maybe they will in the future.

PeterD
13th February 2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks Barrie. My two main lenses are the Sigma 50-500 and Sigma 150 Macro. These are backed up with the Zuiko 12-60 which is also a very good lens. The focal lengths covered by these makes my other lenses surplus to requirement.

PeterD
13th February 2010, 02:04 PM
Nice to see another nice outcome from the Sigma service team, I have nothing but praise for them over the years of my dealing with them.
The last lens they did for me was a Canon fit 18-200 IS, a borderline warranty case but they came up with first class service as usual.
My only regret is they don’t do more lenses in four thirds fit, one of the being the Sigma 100-300mm f4, but maybe they will in the future.

Thanks for your comments. I have found both Olympus and Sigma are very good at supporting their customers. Olympus have loaned me E3s and a 70-300 lens when they were sorting out issues with them.
It is a strange world. This sort of support is very unusual in any other consumer products and should be promoted when provided.
I also agree with you that the repair team in the UK are very helpful.

E-3
13th February 2010, 02:23 PM
I`ve wanted to buy a bigma, but was put off by stories of iffy build quality, however after hearing all these good reports of Sigma`s customer service, it has made me think that if I bought one & there was a problem, then it would`nt actually be a problem, if that makes any sense? So, where is the best place to buy one? :)

Kiwi Paul
13th February 2010, 02:57 PM
I`ve wanted to buy a bigma, but was put off by stories of iffy build quality, however after hearing all these good reports of Sigma`s customer service, it has made me think that if I bought one & there was a problem, then it would`nt actually be a problem, if that makes any sense? So, where is the best place to buy one? :)

You already have the 90-250, use the EC-20 on that and you get 180-500mm @f5.6, why do you want a Bigma as well?

Paul

E-3
13th February 2010, 03:25 PM
You already have the 90-250, use the EC-20 on that and you get 180-500mm @f5.6, why do you want a Bigma as well?

Paul

Thanks for the advice. I don`t own a EC-20, this would be the better route to go would it ? :)

E-3
13th February 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don`t own a EC-20, this would be the better route to go would it ? :)

I have re-thought this & decided that the Bigma would be the better way to go for me as it would give me 50-500mm in one lens rather than a minimum 180mm which would not be suitable for my work. So back to my original question, where is a good place to get one ? :)

Kiwi Paul
13th February 2010, 04:00 PM
It works ok for me, I use the the 90-250 and EC-20 together and have no issues with the image quality, handling or focus. The Bigma is f6.3 at 500mm so the 90-250 + EC-20 combo is half a stop faster too.
Maybe hire an EC-20 and see how you get on with it, if you buy one after then you can claim up to a weeks hire back.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
13th February 2010, 04:02 PM
You just use the EC-20 when required you can still use the 90-250 as a 90-250.

Paul

PeterD
13th February 2010, 04:58 PM

I am aware of one member that did not have too happy an experience but certainly I am pleased with Sigma as you can see.

As for buying a Bigma, Kelso does good discounts. I purchased mine through Amazon though.

Barrie Norman
13th February 2010, 09:01 PM
Check out Warehouse Express, Not the cheapest but the after sales service is very good you can buy cheaper on ebay but you take the chance and some are grey imports that may not be covered by Sigma UK warranty, Link below.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/Home/default.aspx

E-3
13th February 2010, 09:04 PM
Check out Warehouse Express, Not the cheapest but the after sales service is very good you can buy cheaper on ebay but you take the chance and some are grey imports that may not be covered by Sigma UK warranty, Link below.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/Home/default.aspx

Thank you for the link, I will take a look :)