PDA

View Full Version : Bigma 50-500mm

garethlovering
8th February 2010, 06:41 PM
Does the hire E-group have any plans to add the Bigma 50-500mm lens to their equipment? or will it only hire Olympus equipment?

Would anybody else like to hire the Bigma 50-500 if it was available?

Zuiko
9th February 2010, 03:27 AM
That's a great idea, but it would mean a whole new negotiation process with Sigma as they are obviously an entirely seperate company to Olympus. I'm not sure if they have enough lenses of interest in their range to make that worthwhile. But in principle, yes. :)

Radar
9th February 2010, 08:55 AM
I see that Sigma produces a range of lenses for four thirds now :

- 24mm f/1.8 EX DG
- 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
- 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
- 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
- 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM
- 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
- 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro
- 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
- 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II

I would be interrested in trying some of these if they were for rent. Haven't used the renting yet but when the hunting season (horse) starts I will try some lenses to see how they perform before I buy.

Ian
9th February 2010, 09:20 AM
The opportunity to hire out Olympus lenses, accessories and cameras was, as is often the case with good things, by accident really. As many of you know one of the independent dealers had arranged to hire out Olympus top pro lenses a year or so back, but despite being supplied with the gear, nothing happened. I asked Olympus if they would let me operate the service and not only did they say yes, but we expanded what was to be offered. In effect, it's a marketing exercise and there is a try before you buy element to the offering. The hire stock belongs to Olympus, we simply operate the service on their behalf.

We have thought about Sigma lenses, but obviously this is a completely different proposition. We could not afford to buy stock, so we'd have to persuade them to provide stock on a similar basis to Olympus. I haven't discussed this with Sigma yet, but I am booking a meeting with them at the PMA show in less than two weeks and I will make sure it's on the agenda.

Ian

Radar
9th February 2010, 10:25 AM
Fantastic!*chr

sapper
9th February 2010, 10:32 AM
I would be interesed in the Bigma.

The Saint
9th February 2010, 06:03 PM
David

I have a Bigma, and if we have a meeting on your side of the river (Thames), I'll bring it with me for you to have a play with.

Regards

Simon

sapper
9th February 2010, 06:05 PM
That would be good Simon. I am watching one on ebay now, mainly to sus out prices.

E-3
9th February 2010, 06:13 PM
This is a lens I too am very interested in. The only reason I have not purchased one is that I have heard the build quality can be a bit dubious. Is this true ? or are they well worth getting ?

forester
9th February 2010, 09:49 PM
This is a lens I too am very interested in. The only reason I have not purchased one is that I have heard the build quality can be a bit dubious. Is this true ? or are they well worth getting ?

As with many lenses if you get a good "copy" very good.
I had a Pentax K mount 150-500mm Sigma that was awful, but sigma to their credit put it right.
I also had the 150-500mm OS version with my Canon kit that lens was superb, really if you are buying second hand off Ebay I would find out why they are selling it? Because if it is a bad one :eek:
You hear with many brands about bad lenses, I had a few with Pentax lenses the new SDM being the worst, also the most expensive,:( to Olympus’s credit I have not heard about any bad examples, but I'm sure there must be one or two.

E-3
10th February 2010, 01:18 PM
to Olympus’s credit I have not heard about any bad examples.

Yes that`s right, I certainly think the ZD lenses are in a class of their own..............................certainly put my Canon lenses to shame. :)

forester
10th February 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes that`s right, I certainly think the ZD lenses are in a class of their own..............................certainly put my Canon lenses to shame. :)

When you listen to some of the "other" brand users they are so dedicated to that brand, or should I say “brain washed” by the advertising they just don’t want to find out about any other make.
I did have the Canon 7D, the very latest of the DX crop sensors, I bought it because it was supposed to be the best even better than the Nikon D300s, to be honest it was not that good and I much preferred my canon 1D mk11n that was a good camera but it weighed a ton, ok for young fit people but an afternoon of using it and that was enough.:eek:
So far I am very pleased with the Olympus kit, I am impressed with the focus speed and accurate metering.*yes
The lenses are rather expensive but I suppose you have to pay for the best, what ever the make.;)

Kiwi Paul
10th February 2010, 07:04 PM
The Oly lenses are expensive compared to Canikon lenses. Certainly they are very good lenses but so are the top Canikon ones and they include the inbuilt IS that Oly don't have to put in their lenses. The top Zuiko lenses are very fast (f2.0) where as the Canikon are f2.8 so that is certainly a major factor.
The biggest discrepancy is with the Zuiko 90-250 f2.8 which retails typically around £4.5K where as the Canikon 70-200 f2.8 are around £1700, seems Zuiko are charging a lot for the extra 50mm especially when the Nikon includes IS built in.

Paul

forester
10th February 2010, 07:14 PM
I had the Canon 300mm F4 IS lens, OK optically but the focusing speed was rubbish.:(
For a “Big White” lens you would expect much better than that.*yes

Kiwi Paul
10th February 2010, 07:26 PM
I must admit the focussing of the 35-100 and the 90-250 is excellent, not SWD fast but still very quick and most importantly very accurate and reliable, in fact sometimes faster than SWD because SWD sometimes tends to micro correct whereas the 2 lens mentioned just go straight to the point and are ready instantly.

Paul

forester
10th February 2010, 08:05 PM
I have found the Olympus focuses so fast I don't realise it has done so.
I must get used to the speed :D
That is even with the kit lenses, none of this "hunting".
Ok, Olympus may not be perfect but it ticks most of my boxes.

oly_om
18th February 2010, 02:02 PM
I was quite startled how mediocre the Canon 300/4 was compared to the Zuiko glass. A friend has been using one with a 1.4x TC on a 50D. Aside from the front-focussing issue, check out the bokeh colour fringing (look at the 'original' size): http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahlefley/4343799452/

Andy

Kiwi Paul
18th February 2010, 02:24 PM
I see what you mean, is that representative of that combo? The shots just aren't sharp and the bokeh is really weird not to mention the fringing.

Paul

oly_om
18th February 2010, 02:26 PM
I see what you mean, is that representative of that combo? The shots just aren't sharp and the bokeh is really weird not to mention the fringing.

Paul

Hard to say, but not exactly impressive!

Andy

Edit: I think she may have a bad copy of the lens...

Kiwi Paul
18th February 2010, 02:31 PM
I know on the Talk Photography forum they were all saying not to use the 2x Canon and Nikon converters with various lenses (70-200 f2.8 and others) as the IQ drops too much but from my experience with the Zuiko 50-200 SWD and 90-250 IQ using the EC-20 is fine, the main issue is losing 2 stops.

Paul

forester
18th February 2010, 08:58 PM
Hard to say, but not exactly impressive!

Andy

Edit: I think she may have a bad copy of the lens...

I don't think so, I had the 300mm f4 IS, it looks impressive but that is about it, fairly slow focusing also the IS, is poor 2 stops max and very hit and miss on shots, that was on both the 7D and the 1D