PDA

View Full Version : Filters

Mickyjoe
8th February 2010, 05:00 PM
Hi All.

got my new E-420 recently and very pleased with it. im looking for filters for my kit lens to improve images, mainly of landscapes. ive been looking but kinda getting confused with it all. one filter might be 58mm and another 52mm. so as you can tell im new to this..just wondering which is which and why the different sizes?

a simple request for some, but hard for me :confused: :eek:

Thanks *chr

shenstone
8th February 2010, 05:35 PM
Welcome on board MickyJoe - nice to see another "local" whereever in Wales you are

The last part first ...

52 or 58 are simply the diameter of the front of the lens - you need a filter the same size to fit so if the front of the lens is 52 you need a 52 ets. It's written on the front of the lens e.g 52

In terms of what you "need" Start with a UV filter if not already fitted as it's the most sensible thing to have on the front of your lens to protect it. If you don't understand why yet then take a look at this recent near horror story where a filter saved an expensive lens http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8209

After that, for landscapes many people use a polarising filter to darken blue skies. For the E-System like most Autofocus you need a CPL or Circular polariser. This is the same as any polarising filter, but with an additional circular filter to allow the AF system to work. You can spin the filter around to allow all the light or filter some our as you prefer. Some people don't like the effect and increasingly people are doing this in software post processing. I have to admit to still preferring to take a number of shots in the field with a polarizer as I like to see the effect whilst I'm there. As well as darkening skies it can cut reflections on water which can change the look of a picture quite a lot. You can't do this in PP which why I think this is still a very sensible next step.

The next people tend to go for is an ND grauated filter. This is a filter where one side of the filter has a neutal grey colour which fade to nothing across it. It's used when there is a bright (usually white) sky which would overexpose otherwise above a dark foreground. You line the area of darkness on the filter to the area of lightness in your picture manually. As above more people are doing this in softwre afterwards and I admit that I never use an ND Grad any more though I know some on this forum are keen fans of them

In terms of cost/quality its the same as everything really - you've just spent a lot of money on some excellent camera gear so why put a less than 2.00 filter from eBay on the front (yes there are some at that price I just looked).

You'll get lots of people happy to comment on the ones they use. I use Hoya pro, Kenko and some Tiffen filters I bought in the US all of which I've been happy with.

I hope that helps

Jon*E
8th February 2010, 05:36 PM
Hi Micky

The size refers to the diameter of the lens filter thread the kit lenses are 58mm, if you take the lens cap off and have a look around the rim where it says Olympus etc it should say on there.

As to the best filters for different effects I'm still very new to this so someone else will be able to advise better.

Cheers

Jon

Looks like we posted at the same time shenstone and your explanation is much better than mine anyway :)

Mickyjoe
8th February 2010, 05:56 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....58 so it is..omg. i cant believe i never thought of looking for it on the lens..so obvious.

now i know..is there a link other than ebay to get filters. i have looked at loads but still confused with it all. if only things were so simple. i need filters and i dont want to go to university to understand what most sites say about filters lol.

thanks for your time shenstone its much appreciated. ohhhhh im in fochriw. great place here.

Mickyjoe
8th February 2010, 06:00 PM
thanks jon.

just found out my lens size..its 58mm. i was just confused with other sizes and made me frustrated because i was looking at filters for olympus E-420 which had different sizes.

its always the simple things that catches us out..omg lol.

thanks again jon.

shenstone
8th February 2010, 06:53 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....58 so it is..omg. i cant believe i never thought of looking for it on the lens..so obvious.

now i know..is there a link other than ebay to get filters. i have looked at loads but still confused with it all. if only things were so simple. i need filters and i dont want to go to university to understand what most sites say about filters lol.

thanks for your time shenstone its much appreciated. ohhhhh im in fochriw. great place here.

There are plenty of other places to get filters. If you are really not sure I would start with the major camers shops as a source of information as they have names to live up to Jacobs/Jessops etc.

After that there are loads of other resources that you will find mentioned in the threads on this site

If you plan to go somewhere then I recommend Walters in Merthyr as a shop of reasonable quality and therefore good advice. If heading into Cardiff try the Camera Centre or Jacobs (NOT jessops IMO), and don't be worried about going to the Pro desk for advice rather than the general counter in the larger shops. You are more likely to get a real photographer than Saturday staff if you do this.

Focrhiw... I have a friend who was born there... who reminds me that it's only a couple of miles from where Christ was born (on Dowlais Top), and yes it can be very nice up there... but then again when the winds and rain are howling ...?

Regards
Andy

baldyb
8th February 2010, 06:59 PM
I echo previous comments about UV as a basic and then move on to others.

I have always found Kenko filters perfectly ok (they're made by Hoya, I found out from other members of the forum, but they're cheaper!) and have had no problems buying them on ebay from either UK or Hong Kong. They make a basic and pro range, depending on your budget.

Kevin*chr

Andel
8th February 2010, 07:24 PM
One of the drawbacks of the Olympus system, lenses have different filter sizes.
I carry filters ranging from 52mm ( 50mm macro) 67mm (50-200swd) and 72mm (12-60swd) It gets a bit expensive when using circular filters ( nd & pl)

Other lens makers manage to standardise filter sizes.

Mickyjoe
9th February 2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys.

im on the right track with your help. nothing worse than being confused over simple things :eek:

its a great camera E-420 im very pleased with it. the next step is lenses..omg thats another issue*sob

again..thanks a million to all *chr