PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Polariser filters

The Technician
8th February 2010, 01:48 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a polariser filter for my E-510 and I was wondering which one you e-system users out there :) would you recommend?

Cheers *chr

Michael

HughofBardfield
8th February 2010, 02:18 PM
I use Cokin "P" series or Kood equivalents. The advantage is you only need buy one filter for all your lenses - just different adaptor rings. That said, I rarely use the polariser now: I prefer ND grads to darken skies. You don't say what lenses you'll be using them with, but polarisers tend to produce banding in skies when used with wider lenses (eg the wide end of my 11-22). Of course, they're still useful for reflections. I've also found Hi Tech's filter range to be very good - but haven't tried their pola. If you have deep pockets there's always Lee... :)

Radar
8th February 2010, 02:30 PM
I am seriously considering Cokin with ND grads and polarizer. Cheap and good quality. Thought I could do most grading and polarizing effects in Gimp but after I started using then on camera I save time on the computer and don't have to bracket high-contrast shots to merge later.

I find the Polarizer a fantastic investment for nature/landscape photography. Also sometimes on city photos. I use it on my 14-42mm kitlens and it's good even down to 14mm. I just regret I didn't buy the Cokin when I first invested in filters :(

yorky
8th February 2010, 02:43 PM
I agree with Hugh, Cokin polar filters a'rnt cheap but you only need the one.

HughofBardfield
8th February 2010, 02:51 PM
Just a caution with Cokin ND grads, they can give a rather peculiar magenta cast in some conditions (on the E1, for example). It can be removed in post, but it's fiddly to get right.

On Zuiko's recommendation, I invested in a set of Hi Tech grads. Not expensive, and completely neutral.

photo_owl
8th February 2010, 04:18 PM
strange - haven't seen any in the shots I've taken using the 121F

Kiwi Paul
8th February 2010, 05:36 PM
If you just want one that screws on the end of the lens barrel I have used Hoya Pro filters and they seem fine.

Paul

shenstone
8th February 2010, 05:43 PM
If you just want one that screws on the end of the lens barrel I have used Hoya Pro filters and they seem fine.

Paul

Me too.. I prefer screw on as other systems can give problems in either vignetting and/or getting kit in and out of camera pouches in a hurry.

I also have some Tiffen screw in ones which are fine.

I once bought some cheap ones that send my skies green :mad:

Regards
Andy

shenstone
8th February 2010, 05:47 PM
I am seriously considering Cokin with ND grads and polarizer. Cheap and good quality. Thought I could do most grading and polarizing effects in Gimp but after I started using then on camera I save time on the computer and don't have to bracket high-contrast shots to merge later.

Just a note you don't need to bracket shots to do that effect in GIMP ( or Photoshop or Painshop pro either for that mind) As long as you start with an image with no blown highlihgts you can do it all from one picture.

Here's a tutorial for GIMP

http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_add_the_effect_of_a_graduated_neutral_densi ty_filter_on_a_photo_using_the_Gimp_graphics_edito r

Regards
Andy

Ian
8th February 2010, 06:01 PM
I use Cokin "P" series or Kood equivalents. The advantage is you only need buy one filter for all your lenses - just different adaptor rings. That said, I rarely use the polariser now: I prefer ND grads to darken skies. You don't say what lenses you'll be using them with, but polarisers tend to produce banding in skies when used with wider lenses (eg the wide end of my 11-22). Of course, they're still useful for reflections. I've also found Hi Tech's filter range to be very good - but haven't tried their pola. If you have deep pockets there's always Lee... :)

I find polarisers can produce an annoying cast that is difficult to iron out.

You should also get a circular polariser, which won't confuse the AF or metering systems.

Even if you have a conventionally ring-mounted polariser, you can still use it on other lenses using stepping rings. In recent years I have collected a 77mm Hakuba (bought on a budget while in Japan - it's OK, very slim, but the density is not uniform across the glass), I also have a Marumi 67mm (again, bought cheap, this time in Hong Kong! - OK but the filter came apart from the mounting ring while I was feet deep in water on a beach in France. I thought I'd lost it, but I quickly recovered it and after being rinsed out, and screwed back together, it works fine.) I also have an old 58mm Hoya, but not a fancy coated one, bought about 16 years ago for my old Canon EOS film SLR kit - still going strong. I even have an old unbranded 49mm polariser from the 1980s and my OM days :)

But the crowning glory is a 72mm Hoya 'Digital' HD polariser, which is the only one I have that is coated (8 layer multicoated and made from super hard optical glass. It's super-slim and SRS (http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/2138/Hoya-72mm-HD-Digital-Circular-Polarising-Lens-Filter.html), for example, sell them for 147... no, your eyes aren't deceiving you :)

Actually SRS is not the cheapest, but well past 100 is the price you'll have to pay.

Ian

The Technician
8th February 2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the replys and info *yes its given me something to think about.
The sub 100 bracket seams my first port of call for my first time use.

Michael

HughofBardfield
9th February 2010, 10:21 AM
strange - haven't seen any in the shots I've taken using the 121F

I have only seen it on the E1 - I think it may possibly be something to do with the colour response of the Kodak sensor. Hadn't noticed a problem with either the E500 or E510 - but it was very distinct with the E1 in some light conditions.

Radar
9th February 2010, 10:29 AM
Just a note you don't need to bracket shots to do that effect in GIMP ( or Photoshop or Painshop pro either for that mind) As long as you start with an image with no blown highlihgts you can do it all from one picture.

When I increase the exposure in dark areas I experience some noise in the photo even on low ISO. I could just be my monitor (Which is next to rubbish and is about to be changed for a new 24" HD-screen)

When I do 3 brackets (-1, 0 , +1) and merge them I get a sharper photo

Ian
9th February 2010, 09:21 PM
All you guys inspired me to complete an article on this subject here on our platform non-specific site, DPNow.com:

http://dpnow.com/6797.html

It was quite interesting to do and some of the findings surprised me...

Ian

shenstone
9th February 2010, 09:56 PM
All you guys inspired me to complete an article on this subject here on our platform non-specific site, DPNow.com:

http://dpnow.com/6797.html

It was quite interesting to do and some of the findings surprised me...

Ian

Indeed Very interesting findings ... I'm still not planning to upgrade to them in a hurry

When do we get our cheques for inspiring you :rolleyes:

Regards
Andy

Andel
9th February 2010, 11:04 PM
Whilst I agree that the Hoya HD is expensive, if you are spending hundreds ( or even thousands) of pounds on a quality lens, why skimp on the filter.

Ian
10th February 2010, 10:07 AM
Whilst I agree that the Hoya HD is expensive, if you are spending hundreds ( or even thousands) of pounds on a quality lens, why skimp on the filter.

I think the answer to that is because a cheaper filter may well be just as good - I'm thinking of Hoya's Pro-1, for example, which is half the price of the HD.

Ian

jamie allan
13th March 2010, 12:13 PM
I've bought a Kenko CPL off ebay for 10.99 and it's a really well made product. When I visited my daughter in Tokyo I spent some(!) time in various photography stores and the Kenko brand seems the most popular filter range there I bought some Kenko UV filters there. Today is the first day since I got the CPL that the sun has shone and so I took some shots with and without the filter. It really does make a significant difference in both bringing up the sky colour and sorting out the shade contrast. I really am impressed. The filter was sold as a Kenko Hoya - I checked and found that they are part of the same company - THK - along with Tokina and Slik.

E-3
13th March 2010, 01:55 PM
I've bought a Kenko CPL off ebay for 10.99 and it's a really well made product. When I visited my daughter in Tokyo I spent some(!) time in various photography stores and the Kenko brand seems the most popular filter range there I bought some Kenko UV filters there. Today is the first day since I got the CPL that the sun has shone and so I took some shots with and without the filter. It really does make a significant difference in both bringing up the sky colour and sorting out the shade contrast. I really am impressed. The filter was sold as a Kenko Hoya - I checked and found that they are part of the same company - THK - along with Tokina and Slik.

Thats right Kenko filters are a very good buy, as they are Hoya filters re-branded & at a fraction of the price :)