PDA

View Full Version : Printer recommendation

StephenL
7th February 2010, 01:41 PM
If anyone's in the market for a new photo printer, can I put in a good word for the Canon Pixma iP4700.

After (seemingly) hundreds of years with Epson, I got fed up with not being able to get decent, consistent results (except from my aged 1290). I have just bought the iP4700, and right from the start I'm getting superb results. Brilliant, true colours and fairly quick, although it takes an age to start if you haven't printed anything for a few days. Got mine at 99 from Comet. Cartridges are reasonably priced, too.

BobS
7th February 2010, 05:08 PM
Stephen

Another good word. I've had a Canon Pixma iP4200, for several years and have had excellent results. It is a bit temperamental in starting sometimes after a period of non-use though I put it down to the position or weight of the paper. I use 270gsm glossy but really, it's not a problem.

I have only used Canon cartridges but may give compatibles a try sometime.

Regards
Bob

Adagio
7th February 2010, 05:13 PM
Stephen

What paper(s) and ICC profiles have you used?

I am trying to make up my mind whether or no to buy a photo printer and am trying to make sense of all this stuff. My existing HP is a 10 year old Deskjet which has performed wonderfully well as a general purpose printer but has not a clue how to reproduce colours. At this price I can hardly go wrong but will I be satisfied with A4 ?

E-3
7th February 2010, 05:16 PM
I have a Canon IP4600 which I have also been most pleased with. I take it the IP4700 is the newer version ? Although I have no reason at all to want to replace my printer, I just wonder what the 4700 has that the 4600 has not ?

Adagio
7th February 2010, 05:27 PM
I just wonder what the 4700 has that the 4600 has not ?

It is on th PC Pro 'A List'. They say:-
"Not a huge change from the IP4600, but that matters not . . . . it remains the finest home photo inkjet printer on the market . . ."

E-3
7th February 2010, 05:32 PM
It is on th PC Pro 'A List'. They say:-
"Not a huge change from the IP4600, but that matters not . . . . it remains the finest home photo inkjet printer on the market . . ."

No need to up-grade then.................phew :)

StephenL
7th February 2010, 06:03 PM
At present I'm not using profiles, just the standard printer driver settings with generic paper types.

I'm currently using up my stock of Epson Glossy, which comes out well. I also use Imajet Satin for photo cards for an existing client, who is very happy with the results. I've tried quite a few types of paper with no problems.

For any A3 work I print, which is not often, I still use my Epson 1290, which is old, slow, and good.

Stephen

What paper(s) and ICC profiles have you used?

I am trying to make up my mind whether or no to buy a photo printer and am trying to make sense of all this stuff. My existing HP is a 10 year old Deskjet which has performed wonderfully well as a general purpose printer but has not a clue how to reproduce colours. At this price I can hardly go wrong but will I be satisfied with A4 ?

Meogeo
7th February 2010, 07:24 PM
I had a canon ip printer a while back and when I was only printing letters off the printer seemed to onlu use colour inks instead of the black ink, this made my inks run out pretty fast, but I have to say photo quality was second to none.

My question is have canon changed it if you print in black it only uses the black ink or does it still use all the inks?

If Canon have fixed this small problem I would love another Canon printer and that IP4700 looks a nice printer.

JackBenedict
8th February 2010, 06:49 PM
I had a canon ip printer a while back and when I was only printing letters off the printer seemed to onlu use colour inks instead of the black ink, this made my inks run out pretty fast, but I have to say photo quality was second to none.

My question is have canon changed it if you print in black it only uses the black ink or does it still use all the inks?

If Canon have fixed this small problem I would love another Canon printer and that IP4700 looks a nice printer.

I was looking at the Canon 5700 or 5760 the other day and it had a 'black' button on the front .... so it would appear that they have now fixed the problem

Meogeo
8th February 2010, 07:49 PM
I was looking at the Canon 5700 or 5760 the other day and it had a 'black' button on the front .... so it would appear that they have now fixed the problem

Thanks Jack.

meach
8th February 2010, 10:52 PM
I have the Canon Pixma iP6700D - and I don't like the prints it produces at all as they're very dark. Presumably I'm doing something (probably very simple) wrong. Is there any simple guide to adjusting the colours on these things?

StephenL
9th February 2010, 12:22 PM
I've found out, to my cost, that it's very difficult and costly to try to emulate the full range of colours which a camera sees, onto home printed media. The colour range of any digital camera is different to the colour range of ones screen which in turn is different to ones printer and ones paper and ones ink.

My simple rule, only recently adopted, is to just print using the printer's defaults (assuming it's a decent quality printer). That gets me results which please.

Having said that, I've had some Epson photo printers which have printed dark even out of the box!

I have the Canon Pixma iP6700D - and I don't like the prints it produces at all as they're very dark. Presumably I'm doing something (probably very simple) wrong. Is there any simple guide to adjusting the colours on these things?

Adagio
9th February 2010, 12:42 PM

You could try buying some paper from Fotospeed (http://www.fotospeed.com/InkJet-Photo-Paper---Sheets-&-Rolls/catalogue/21/) who will then produce a free profile for you.

meach
9th February 2010, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=StephenL;65023]

My simple rule, only recently adopted, is to just print using the printer's defaults (assuming it's a decent quality printer). That gets me results which please.

QUOTE]

That's exactly what I do. I've tried changing some of the settings but there's no apparent difference. I'm reluctant to do extensive experiments as it could prove costly in ink and paper so I was hoping someone might be able to to save me some time and money!!

meach
9th February 2010, 01:32 PM
You could try buying some paper from Fotospeed (http://www.fotospeed.com/InkJet-Photo-Paper---Sheets-&-Rolls/catalogue/21/) who will then produce a free profile for you.

Thanks for that David - I'll give them a try

Adagio
9th February 2010, 04:31 PM
Paul

I don't want to try and teach grandmothers etc. but take care that only one part of the chain is managing colour. Either your image editing software or the printer but not both.

meach
9th February 2010, 04:49 PM
Paul

I don't want to try and teach grandmothers etc. but take care that only one part of the chain is managing colour. Either your image editing software or the printer but not both.

Thanks David. Don't worry about things like that - I am really a novice when it comes to printing. Although I haven't calibrated my monitor (I have no idea how to) I'm really happy with prints I've had made commercially. I just want to match them as closely as possible on the odd occasion (hence I haven't spent a lot of time experimenting) I do print something myself at home. Any help at all will be gratefully accepted.