PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED: West Wales & Skomer Island meet: June 4th/5th 2010

theMusicMan
5th February 2010, 11:38 AM
Hi All

Skomer Island eGroup Meet: JUNE 3rd and/or 4th and/or 5th
Spring/Summer 2010

This is something I had promised some time ago that I would try to set up, and so I am now gauging interest to see if it is something we could attempt.

Please can you let me know if you would be interested in my arranging a trip to Skomer Island, sometime in the Spring or early Summer 2010, for us on eGroup. Format is open to all suggestions just now, and could be from something such as a simple day trip, to an overnight (NOT ON SKOMER) in a local hotel to avoid any early starts due to travel et al. To be able to book accommodation on Skomer required plenty of notice, and it is my guess the accommodation will already have been fully booked for the entire 2010 season. I am happy to ask though if people want me to find out.

Drop your name in here if you're interested in such a trip, at the same time indicating if you'd be interested in a hotel overnight stay somewhere closer on the day before. If this were the case I am also happy to arrange some gorgeous coastal walks for sunset/sunrise etc. depending on the local hotel situation.

Costs will be around 17 for the Skomer boat trip and landing fee, with 4 for car parking that's a few hundred yards from the jetty. Hotel prices - well, I have no clue just yet, but I'd say it would be between 40-80 to stay somewhere close enough.

So, lets see if this is a go-er! Get your names down if you're interested.*chr

dbutch
5th February 2010, 12:16 PM
John

I would be up for it, and would stay over due to distance

Biggest problem I have is lot of business travelling over the next 6 months so the earlier a date can be set the better for me

Dave

E-3
5th February 2010, 01:07 PM
I would love to tag along & get some good Puffin shots..........................................onl y problem is I have only been a member for afew days, so don`t know if I qualify to go on the trip?

shenstone
5th February 2010, 01:08 PM
Definitely up for it (Me+1) depending on work / timing as I have a lot of weeknds already booked this year

Re acommodation - We may well camp if everywhere's looking booked & the forecast is good

As John already knows timing is everything if you want to get the pictures of sandeels in mouths and you need to plan on being out on the 1st boat and back on the last to get the best time

Regards
Andy

Wreckdiver
5th February 2010, 01:21 PM
I would be interested John. Would be a good opportunity to hire the 90-250mm lens and see how it performs.

Steve

pasterw
5th February 2010, 01:23 PM
I tried booking an accommodation on Skomer for the spring a while ago & everything was booked out already, at least for the "interesting" months (i.e. when the Puffins have their chicks). However, there seemed plenty of room before April and after July/August. Apparently, you have to book 2 years ahead?!?

Wolfgang

dbutch
5th February 2010, 01:39 PM
I would love to tag along & get some good Puffin shots..........................................onl y problem is I have only been a member for afew days, so don`t know if I qualify to go on the trip?

Hi E-3

I am sure no one here would say no just because your new to the forum, the trips are a good way to meet fellow e-system users and see various bits of kit.

Cheers

Dave

j.baker
5th February 2010, 02:14 PM
Teresa and I would probably come.....depending on dates.

E-3
5th February 2010, 02:28 PM
I would be interested John. Would be a good opportunity to hire the 90-250mm lens and see how it performs.

Steve

You would be more than welcome to have a go with mine (If John lets me come)......................................not that this is any kind of bribe :D

Wreckdiver
5th February 2010, 02:36 PM
You would be more than welcome to have a go with mine (If John lets me come)......................................not that this is any kind of bribe :D

That's very kind of you to offer. You do realise that once I have the lens you will have lost it for the remainder of the day :D

John, E-3 should most definitely be given high priority on this trip :tup

Steve

Kiwi Paul
5th February 2010, 02:45 PM
I'd be interested, definately have to book accomodation though.

Paul

mike_j
5th February 2010, 04:02 PM
Can I come if I stick an Olympus label over the Panasonic logo on my camera?

I'm sure there will be a camping/caravanning site near enough for us to stop over.

PaulE
5th February 2010, 04:56 PM
Can I come if I stick an Olympus label over the Panasonic logo on my camera?

I'm sure there will be a camping/caravanning site near enough for us to stop over.

If I remember rightly there was campsite on the road down to St Martins Haven. When we passed by last year it looked like a group were getting ready to walk the 500yds down to the ferry - maybe Musicman will have more info, if not it must be online somewhere...

I'll put my name down as a tentative yes to this - I definitely want to go back there some time this year but It's going to be a very busy summer so it will depend on dates and a bit of good luck that it won't clash with anything...

shenstone
5th February 2010, 06:26 PM
There are definitely a number of reaonable campsites in the Marloes area and a pub in Marloes

There are more facilities over at Broadhaven which is just 20 minutes away

I for one would plan to make a weekend of it. There are plenty of other intersting places in the area or on the way. Penbroke/Carew Castles both on the way home if you take the southern route. Oakwood Theme park:eek: (no thanks!) & Many More

Regards
Andy

The Saint
5th February 2010, 06:44 PM
I would love to get to Skomer, however as it's over the other side of the country I'll need to make a long weekend of it.

The longer notice you can give of the chosen date the more likely I can arrange something.

Regards

Simon

Melaka
5th February 2010, 07:06 PM
I'm interested and would not need accommodation.

mike_j
5th February 2010, 07:12 PM
I would love to get to Skomer, however as it's over the other side of the country I'll need to make a long weekend of it.

The longer notice you can give of the chosen date the more likely I can arrange something.

Regards

Simon

Yes, please choose a date, with all the bank holidays and school breaks this can be a busy time. Even if the date changes it is at least a basis for planning.

Michael

steverh
5th February 2010, 07:59 PM
I would definitely be interested, subject to dates. *chr

Ian Grego
5th February 2010, 08:11 PM
Hello John,

At this point I would be interested as I enjoyed the meet you arranged last year. I will definately look at overnighting from Derbyshire.

Look forward for more news

Ian

theMusicMan
5th February 2010, 08:15 PM
WOW, what a fantastic response to this suggestion, thanks everyone.

OK then, this certainly does look as though it is something that many would be willing to participate in and enjoy, so I'll make some enquiries and over the weekend & start the ball rolling re format and dates etc.

JackBenedict
6th February 2010, 10:01 AM
Hi John,

I would be up for this dependent on when it is - May will be a no no for me.

Regards

oly_om
9th February 2010, 08:59 PM
Might be interested too - flexible on dates, name one/some and then hopefully we can get this nailed!

Cheers

Andy

shenstone
9th February 2010, 09:20 PM
Just checked the guidebook

Best dates for Puffins carrying sandeels are the last 3 weeks of June & 1st week of July. This is also a good time for Razorbills, Guilimots, Manx Shearwaters and some of the flowers should be good too.

Picking a date right in the middle I'm going to suggest the weekend of the 26/27 June with the group going out on the Saturday.

People may want to make it a long weekend/week and this is before schools breakup which should make accomdation easier.

Other ideas ?

Regards
Andy

theMusicMan
18th February 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your interest, it certainly looks as though it is worthwhile organising something. I haven't forgotten about this, and will try to get a list of possible dates up over the weekend, and if you could all then let me know your preference I can start the ball rolling.

The only thing about going over to the island on a Saturday, is that this tends to be the busiest day of the week. It might be better to choose a weekday - though I appreciate this makes it harder for those who can't easily get time off work.

Wreckdiver
18th February 2010, 12:59 PM
If choosing a weekday is going to be less congested with better photographing conditions then I prefer this.

Steve

j.baker
18th February 2010, 02:32 PM
as long as teresa and I have enough notice a week day would not be a problem.

mike_j
18th February 2010, 03:06 PM
26/27 is very difficult as we only get back from France on 25th. Any days the following 2 weeks would be fine.

steverh
18th February 2010, 03:06 PM
I would also OK with a midweek date, given notice.

The Saint
18th February 2010, 04:26 PM
If we go for a weekday, can it either be a Monday or Friday so I can still make a long weekend out of the trip.

Simon

cinders
18th February 2010, 04:45 PM
I'd be interested too. But again it depends on dates as we're also pretty busy.

Have been meaning to get back sometime.

theMusicMan
18th February 2010, 09:46 PM
If we go for a weekday, can it either be a Monday or Friday so I can still make a long weekend out of the trip.

Simon
Sure we can.*chr

alexs
28th February 2010, 08:31 AM
I would love to go to skomer...Sounds like a good trip. I'd be in if I could get off work..*chr
alex

yorky
28th February 2010, 12:59 PM
Subject to dates, I would be interested, weekdays would be my preferance.

Wreckdiver
28th February 2010, 02:00 PM
I can't make the first two weeks in June John. The last two weeks of June and the first week in July has been mentioned by Shenstone and this would be ideal for me. Here is a useful Seasonal timeline (http://www.welshwildlife.org/attachments/Skomer%20Bird%20Leaflets/Skomer%20Timeline%a9Peter%20Gill%20%26%20Associate s.pdf)

Steve

yorky
28th February 2010, 05:15 PM
Just a thought, I few years I was on Staffa a few years since in July, The Puffins had departed by then, We need to find out when they usually depart!

theMusicMan
17th March 2010, 01:21 PM
Haven't forgotten about this folks. I'll be updating in time.

StephenL
17th March 2010, 01:52 PM
We are in South Wales w/c 15 May and would be interested.

Wreckdiver
5th May 2010, 02:57 PM
Hi John, Any further developments on this?

Cheers,

Steve

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 11:01 AM
Hi All

Well, very sorry to not have updated this for some time, but I now have some information for you.

It is looking as though there may be an opportunity for those who are interested in a Skomer visit, for 3rd/4th/5th June. There's a few things we need to clarify/sort before I confirm anything.

Dates: 3rd and/or 4th and/or 5th June: I am able to head up to West Wales on the afternoon of Thursday 3rd or Friday 4th June, but am not sure about anyone else here regarding time off work etc. Please let me know. We have talked about an overnight stay somewhere to take in a sunset/sunrise prior to the Skomer trek.

Accommodation: for those interested in a sunset photo-walk the prior evening I have checked many B&B's and hotels in the area, and though there is availability, it is only for 1 or 2 rooms, not several. So I guess if anyone is interested in an evenings sunset photo-walk on the Thursday/Friday, then if this is what we do it would be down to you to sort your accommodation I'm afraid. Also... hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I don't really have the time to sort peoples accommodation. If anyone does want to go up the evening prior, then I am happy to share details and to obviously meet up - the West Wales sunsets are to die for, honestly and it would be very much worthwhile for those wanting to try this.

Typical Welsh Sunset: Little Haven looking towards Skomer (just around the bend)
http://img.skitch.com/20100510-8epijjw93dim8rnie1tpi36cpm.jpg

So... if you could let me know what you could do, there are many permutations of this and I'd like to see if we can cater for as many as those who wish to come along.

I am happy to sort the agenda for the time we're there regarding times, photo-walks, where to go etc - all I need is availability.

For those unsure, or if we are not able to identify a common denominator - I will still be going, and will probably find accommodation for myself and Jen/Heather for overnight on Friday 4th so I can stake out a few sunset opportunities, then go to Skomer on the Saturday. I would be able to go on Thursday afternoon though if there were several of us who preferred this option.

FYI: Sunset on Friday 4th June is at 21:32 (see screenshot), and so depending on your travel time, you wouldn't necessarily need to take the Thursday off from work. I wouldn't, as I would travel late afternoon - journey time from Newport is about 2 hours so as long as I was in B&B by 6:30/7:30 it would leave plenty of time for meeting up and getting to wherever we wanted to go for beautiful sunset pics.

http://img.skitch.com/20100510-m52thk9ipc987w6d71gsnjjui9.jpg

So folks... please let me know by this weekend what you would like to do, and I will put the agenda together.

Ta

John

Wreckdiver
10th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately I can't make these dates John. Can't take the time off mid-week and I will be off for a weeks diving and photographing the seals on Scilly Isles on the Saturday.

Steve.

The Saint
10th May 2010, 12:08 PM
John

I'm not going to be able to do that weekend as I'll need to take a couple of days off to warrant the journey across the country and it's the half term week, which people at work have already booked off.

Regards

Simon

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 12:14 PM
Don't forget though folks, that if I stay overnight on the Friday for some sunset stuff, the visit to Skomer will be on the Saturday.

E-3
10th May 2010, 12:29 PM
I have a terrible feeling that the wife has already booked me that weekend (without any choice in the matter may I add). I will double check with her tonight....................fingers crossed............................

JackBenedict
10th May 2010, 12:29 PM
John,

Hopefully, I would be up for the 4/5 th June. An overnight stay would be good if we could catch the early ferry. Looking at the number of forum members wanting to take ther offer up ---- we may need our own boat !

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 12:32 PM
John,

Hopefully, I would be up for the 4/5 th June. An overnight stay would be good if we could catch the early ferry. Looking at the number of forum members wanting to take ther offer up ---- we may need our own boat !
Hi Jack - the earliest crossing to Skomer is at 09:30 and if we want to be sure to get on that - on a Saturday morning - we need to be at the jetty in Martins Haven at 08:15 by the latest. Even then, there may be a queue.

cinders
10th May 2010, 12:36 PM
I can't do that date either - really sorry, but we're away until the Friday and will have too much to sort out - animals, garden, etc.

Hope to make it to Bristol, or another one sometime.

Cindy

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 12:37 PM
Oh dear, looks as though I am going to be on my tod then...! ah well.

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 12:55 PM
OK, I thought I'd start a list of who may or may not be interested, easier to administrate this way.

theMusicMan, John: Yes
dbutch, Dave:
E-3, James:
shenstone, Andy:
Wreckdiver, Steve: No
pasterw, Wolfgang:
j.baker, John & Teresa:
woofmix, Paul:
mike_j, Mike:
PaulE, Paul:
The Saint, Simon:
Melaka, David:
steverh, Steve:
Ian Grego, Ian:
JackBenedict, Jack?:
oly_om, Andy:
mike_j, Mike:
cinders, Cindy:
alexs, Alex:
yorky, ?:
StephenL, Stephen:

JackBenedict
10th May 2010, 12:58 PM
Hi John,

I know - I have been trying to get some accom for the friday night ( if I am able to go ) and I am having difficulty getting accom at the moment. I have been checking out Broadhaven as it isn't too far from Martins Haven.

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 01:01 PM
OK, I thought I'd start a list of who may or may not be interested, easier to administrate this way.

John's West Wales eGroup meeting, Marloes Peninsular (or near) sunset/sunrise photo-walk, Skomer Island, Friday 4th and Sat 5th June 2010

Summary:

Yes = 5
No = 11
TBC = 0
Unconfirmed (as of 19th May) = 9 (please can you confirm asap, ta)

theMusicMan, John: Yes (arriving on Friday morning, staying in the Crest B&B, Little Haven)
dbutch, Dave:
E-3, James: No
shenstone, Andy:
Wreckdiver, Steve: No
pasterw, Wolfgang:
j.baker, John & Teresa: Yes *2 (arriving on Friday morning, staying at Haven Fort Hotel, Little Haven)
woofmix, Paul:
PaulE, Paul:
The Saint, Simon: No
Melaka, David: No
steverh, Steve: No
Ian Grego, Ian:
JackBenedict, Phil: No
oly_om, Andy:
mike_j, Mike: Yes
cinders, Cindy: No
alexs, Alex: No
yorky, ?: No
StephenL, Stephen: No
RAC, Richard: Yes (looking for accommodation & staying overnight, meeting up on Friday pm.)
benvendatta, Dave: No

All - I shall try to keep this list as up-to-date as I can so you can see current stats. Thanks.

j.baker
10th May 2010, 01:05 PM
Teresa and I are up for this. The dates are fine as well.

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 01:08 PM
Teresa and I are up for this. The dates are fine as well.
OK John thanks, I shall add you and Teresa to the Friday as this looks as though it will be when I am going down. Don't forget to seek out accommodation.

j.baker
10th May 2010, 01:10 PM
Any one have suggestions on accommodation at or near the location?

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 01:23 PM
Any one have suggestions on accommodation at or near the location?
Hi John

If you do a Google search for accommodation in the following areas, I am sure there will be something that would suit your tastes;

In order of closest to Skomer Island...

Marloes
St Brides
Dale
Little Haven (I am staying at a B&B here, right on the top of a cliff above Little Haven... :))
Broad Haven
Newgale
Haverfordwest

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 01:46 PM
OK, I know there are lots of posts and updates in here today, but for those coming along, I also wanted to mention that I will be putting together an agenda for what I will be doing through the day and at what time I intend to be at each location.

When I do this, though I appreciate you may be wanting to spend more time at some locations, I want to plan a photo-walk at several locations where we can take in as much as is possible in the limited time available. No specific times as to when I intend to be at these locations, but typically I will be visiting the following;

Friday

Solva - a natural harbour, and very picturesque
St Davids Cathedral - a fair way off (some 20 miles) but worth it. Not 100% I'll go there yet, but a possibility.
Newgale beach - long stretch of sandy beach
Nolton Haven: small, shallow beach with lovely steep cliff-sides
Marloes Sands: another beautiful stretch of fairly isolated beach, rocky outcrops brilliant for long exposure photos - likely to visit this
Westdale beach: stunning, simply stunning. Very likely to visit.
Broad Haven, Druidston: Another lovely long sandy beach, with rock pools. Might take some later afternoon long exposures there.
Somewhere for sunset pics: not sure exactly where; Little Haven possibly

Saturday:

Skomer Island

There, a taster to what I'll be up to. Hope you can join me.

j.baker
10th May 2010, 01:50 PM
John,

I have book at room at a small B&B, not too far from you. It may be a gamble, but its only for one night.

They have some rooms left

Haven Fort Hotel
Settlands Hill, Little Haven, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, SA62 3LA
Telephone: 01437 781401

76 per night for a double.

Payment is via CASH, no cards. On the plus side, there is no internet and no TV!!!!!!

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 02:25 PM
John,

I have book at room at a small B&B, not too far from you. It may be a gamble, but its only for one night.

They have some rooms left

Haven Fort Hotel
Settlands Hill, Little Haven, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, SA62 3LA
Telephone: 01437 781401

76 per night for a double.

Payment is via CASH, no cards. On the plus side, there is no internet and no TV!!!!!!Just opposite where I am staying, John. I guess a nice pub meal is on the cards following the sunset photo-walk, eh :)

Hope we get more people wanting to come along on this trip.

yorky
10th May 2010, 02:41 PM
Regret, I will be unable to get down, I was down in April but unfortunatly they were not landing that day or the one previous. I don't question their judgement at all but here was very little wind that day, it would seem a long way to come on the off chance of landing. I do hope you have better luck than I.

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 02:45 PM
Regret, I will be unable to get down, I was down in April but unfortunatly they were not landing that day or the one previous. I don't question their judgement at all but here was very little wind that day, it would seem a long way to come on the off chance of landing. I do hope you have better luck than I.
Shame, but I do fully understand your position, yorky. However what I will say in defense of the crew, is that there doesn't need to be a lot of wind, but if it's from the North it causes a huge swell right into the jetty where the Dale Princess lands on Skomer. This is a precarious position, right into the cliff face - you come off the boat right at the front, as the boat faces directly onto the cliff on landing, engines running - there is no walk way or other comfortable place to get off. So, any Northerly causes rough landing and it's in those conditions that the boat won't land.

E-3
10th May 2010, 06:50 PM
Hi John, I was right, I have already got a commitment on that weekend (thanks to her indoors):( I am very, very dissapointed that I cant come, but hope you have a fabulous time & post lots of pictures :)

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 06:54 PM
Hi John, I was right, I have already got a commitment on that weekend (thanks to her indoors):( I am very, very dissapointed that I cant come, but hope you have a fabulous time & post lots of pictures :)Okies, thanks anyways for your interest, James. There are now 4 of us, so we can at least have a few beers. Several people yet to confirm one way or the other, might get a few more - fingers crossed.

yorky
11th May 2010, 08:07 AM
Oh dear, I'm getting forgetful. Re accomodation:- there is an excellant modern youth hostel at Broadhaven, it is a single storey building with all rooms including en suite facilities, there are some family rooms and the price is around 17.95 per person per night. All age groups are welcome

steverh
11th May 2010, 09:27 AM
Hi John,

I'm afraid I can't make it either. I'm giving a talk at a conference on Saturday 5th June :mad:

Hope it goes well for you.

theMusicMan
11th May 2010, 05:24 PM
Trust me to pick a date when few people could manage, sorry everyone, I do feel bad now.

Melaka
11th May 2010, 05:33 PM
Much though I'd like to be there, I can't make the dates. Hope it goes well.

steverh
12th May 2010, 06:45 AM
Trust me to pick a date when few people could manage, sorry everyone, I do feel bad now.

It's hardly your fault John!

Whatever date you decided, there would have been problems for some people.

theMusicMan
12th May 2010, 06:53 AM
It's hardly your fault John!

Whatever date you decided, there would have been problems for some people.
Sure Steve, thanks, I know. Still, I would have preferred to have set a date when more people could have attended.

The Saint
12th May 2010, 07:24 AM
John

I'll let you do the recy this year and hopefully next year I'll be able to make it.

Simon

mike_j
12th May 2010, 07:59 AM
I have had to cancel our holiday this year so won't be able to make it unfortunately. It's too far for just the weekend.

theMusicMan
14th May 2010, 07:14 AM
Just bringing this to your attention again. Please can those people who have expressed an interest in coming along let me know if you're able to make it. Later today I will be posting details of where I intend to visit during the day/evening for my photo-walks.

So far... it's gonna be a lonely day :(

JackBenedict
14th May 2010, 07:32 AM
Hi John,

I did say that I would probably be able to make it. This will all depend on whether I am in hospital at that time or not - and I won't be in a position to give a definite yes or no until the end of next week.

If I can make it I will definitely be there.

Phil

theMusicMan
14th May 2010, 09:33 AM
Hi John,

I did say that I would probably be able to make it. This will all depend on whether I am in hospital at that time or not - and I won't be in a position to give a definite yes or no until the end of next week.

If I can make it I will definitely be there.

Phil
Excellent Phil... I have already marked you as a yes, hopefully you will be able to make it.

StephenL
14th May 2010, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately it comes a couple of weeks too early - we are going down that direction (Solva) tomorrow for a week.

theMusicMan
14th May 2010, 10:09 AM
Hi All

OK, here's some information and an update to what I hope to be doing on the West Wales, Marloes Peninsular and Skomer Island eGroup mtg on June 4th and 5th. So far there's only 4 or 5 of us coming along, which is disappointing for me - particularly given the number of people who were initially interested, but I do understand that it is indeed a considerably long way to travel. There's still 3 weeks to go before this trek, so maybe one or two more people will see what I am planning, and might decide to give it a go and come along. It really does promise to be a great two day photo outing; to include stunning seascape scenery, beautiful 'wish I was there' sunsets, a calm and sultry sunrise and of course, the wonderfully colourful Puffins of Skomer Island.

So… here's the lo-down and draft plan for what I intend to do during the Friday and Saturday - busy time ahead.

General Information
Tides: (taken from tide tables for Milford Haven)
http://img.skitch.com/20100514-c534fp1bck8ke7wpfx28xiqbn2.jpg

Sunrise/Sunset: (taken using the Photographers Ephemeris
http://img.skitch.com/20100514-taqm81bypk6277yidwaq7xmtui.jpg

Skomer:
Ferry Crossing: 10
Landing Fee: 7
National Trust Car Park: 4

There is no shop on Skomer Island, so please ensure you stock up with whatever you want to eat and drink during your time there well before. I plan on stocking up in the Tesco's store just outside Haverfordwest on the way up.
As long as there are ferry crossings, you are guaranteed to get Puffin shots if that is what you are after. At the Wick, the Puffins literally walk past you and you could even use your wide angle lenses. I do laugh at some Canikon users with their 500mm and 600mm lenses in Gimball heads… talk of overkill!!
Note: There IS a risk that the ferry won't sail if there is a Northerly wind blowing. Northerlies cause swell at the point where you get off the ferry on Skomer. The disembarkation point is NOT an easy step off the side of the boat casually moored against the cliffs. The Dale Princess (the ferry!!) points directly into the cliffs, and you have to walk off the front of the boat as the ferryman keeps the boat as steady as possible. It is of course totally safe, but caution is advised.

Itinerary:

Friday 4th June

11:00 - 13:00 - Solva, natural harbour: Walk around the harbour, somewhere on slopes to get shot of the location from the hillsides.
13:00 - 14:00 - Lunch somewhere, no idea where or what!
14:00 - 15:00 - Newgale beach: a long 1.5 mile stretch of sandy beach. i want to walk along to the edges of beach to see what long exposure shots I can get
15:00 - 16:00 - Nolton Haven: at this time during the afternoon according to TPE the sun (if it is shining) will be directly over the sea from this narrow sandy inlet.
16:00 - 17:30 - coastal path walk, location yet to be decided; reckie to discover best sunset location.
17:30 - 18:30 - tea!
19:00 - sundown - Sunset photo-walk. Location yet to be decided, but possibly Little Haven, Westdale, St Brides inlet… not sure yet.

Saturday 5th June

05:00 - 06:00 - Sunrise shot, location to be determined
06:30 - 08:00 - Brekkie
08:15 Meet at Martins Haven
09:30 Ferry across to Skomer
10:00 - 15:30 - Skomer Island: Puffins, Fulmars, Guillemots, Razorbills, Choughs, Warblers, GBB Gulls, LBB Gulls, walk around the island
16:00 Ferry back to Martins Haven

There you go… lot's of information there to peruse, and hopefully you can Google some stuff too to get a feeling to where I intend to go, and at what times I plan on being in each location. Just drop me a txt if you plan on joining at any point during the day and I can look out for you and meet up.

John iPhone Mobile: 07927 514475 - feel free to add me to your contacts and let me know if you're coming along - everyone welcome.

Shout if there's more info needed.

benvendetta
14th May 2010, 12:20 PM
I would love to have come but I only come back from my hols on the 4th.

yorky
14th May 2010, 01:14 PM
I hope you have really good day and make us all jealous, good luck with weather.

RAC
15th May 2010, 08:13 PM
John,

You can add one to your list of four or five!

I'm gonna be driving across from London on Thu afternoon; Friday morning out on a boat trip, with lunch probably in St Davids. But then no plans so probably try to cross paths with you somewhere/somewhen in the afternoon.

I'm in a B+B in Marloes Fri night and Saturday night - no point in being too far away from the ferry!

And then back to London on Sunday morning.

Thanks for kicking me to get out of London for a while,
RAC

theMusicMan
15th May 2010, 10:19 PM
John,

You can add one to your list of four or five!

I'm gonna be driving across from London on Thu afternoon; Friday morning out on a boat trip, with lunch probably in St Davids. But then no plans so probably try to cross paths with you somewhere/somewhen in the afternoon.

I'm in a B+B in Marloes Fri night and Saturday night - no point in being too far away from the ferry!

And then back to London on Sunday morning.

Thanks for kicking me to get out of London for a while,
RAC
Superb, thanks RAC for coming along. It's a real long way for you to come, but I assure you it will be an excellent two days. Thanks.

alexs
19th May 2010, 07:34 AM
John,
Sorry to leave it so late but just got my rota...looks like I won't be able to make it :(
Hope those that do have a good time. enjoy *chr
al

theMusicMan
19th May 2010, 09:32 AM
John,
Sorry to leave it so late but just got my rota...looks like I won't be able to make it :(
Hope those that do have a good time. enjoy *chr
al
Hi Alex - thanks for letting me know, shame you can't make it.*chr

PaulE
19th May 2010, 06:41 PM
Bugger... I finally had confirmation of a date I was unsure of around this time and it is indeed the very same weekend *crap. Whilst most of you will be travelling West I'll be heading East :(. It could be subject to change at the last minute though - so a snap Saturday morning trip to meet you isn't totally ruled out yet. Fingers crossed...
Paul

theMusicMan
19th May 2010, 06:43 PM
Bugger... I finally had confirmation of a date I was unsure of around this time and it is indeed the very same weekend *crap. Whilst most of you will be travelling West I'll be heading East :(. It could be subject to change at the last minute though - so a snap Saturday morning trip to meet you isn't totally ruled out yet. Fingers crossed...
PaulHope you can make it Paul, thanks for letting me know.

Fingers crossed...

JackBenedict
20th May 2010, 06:09 PM
John

You have a PM

benvendetta
20th May 2010, 10:02 PM
I have it on good authority that members of Neath Camera Club will be there that weekend so if you see some 'serous snappers' there, it will be them!

theMusicMan
20th May 2010, 10:17 PM
I have it on good authority that members of Neath Camera Club will be there that weekend so if you see some 'serous snappers' there, it will be them!

... and conversely, I have it on confirmed authority that there will be members of the Olympus eGroup there that weekend, so if they happen to see some 'serious snappers' there, it will be us. :p

PaulE
21st May 2010, 08:01 AM
... and conversely, I have it on confirmed authority that there will be members of the Olympus eGroup there that weekend, so if they happen to see some 'serious snappers' there, it will be us. :p

Don't you know John you aren't serious unless you shoot a canikon of some description with lenses that look oil drums *laugh. It was an eye opener for me there last year with just how much gear people hauled up them steps how on earth a few of them made it to the top without having a heart attack I just don't know as many were in pretty poor physical shape. Just for those who haven't seen it this is the sort of gear you'll be competeing with for space :rolleyes:.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/completefisherforum/userpics/May2010/heavy.jpg

theMusicMan
21st May 2010, 08:10 AM
Don't you know John you aren't serious unless you shoot a canikon of some description with lenses that look oil drums *laugh. It was an eye opener for me there last year with just how much gear people hauled up them steps how on earth a few of them made it to the top without having a heart attack I just don't know as many were in pretty poor physical shape. Just for those who haven't seen it this is the sort of gear you'll be competeing with for space :rolleyes:.

Yep, all that, and I saw people taking shots of the Puffins on the Wick where they walk past you. OK, sure you;re going to get superb images of distant birds in flight etc, but seriously, one guy was shooting Puffins only 5' away with one of those things. Me... I had my 70-300mm, and managed similar shots. :)

JackBenedict
24th May 2010, 08:01 AM
Hi John,

Regretably I will be unable to join you all on this trip.

Following a meeting with my hospital Consultant on Friday,I happened to mention that I was going on this trip as a precursor to a large operation in 2 weeks time.

He absolutely veteod me going on the trip.

So once again - to all of you who are going, have a brilliant trip.

To John ( musicman ),sorry mate,last time it was the weather in the Brecon Beacons,now it is a health issue - I am sure we wil meet up sometime in the near future.

theMusicMan
24th May 2010, 08:32 AM
Hi John,

Regretably I will be unable to join you all on this trip.

Following a meeting with my hospital Consultant on Friday,I happened to mention that I was going on this trip as a precursor to a large operation in 2 weeks time.

He absolutely veteod me going on the trip.

So once again - to all of you who are going, have a brilliant trip.

To John ( musicman ),sorry mate,last time it was the weather in the Brecon Beacons,now it is a health issue - I am sure we wil meet up sometime in the near future.No problems Phil - your health must come first, no issue with that.

I know you'd have come along if you were able to.

John

theMusicMan
29th May 2010, 09:55 AM
Update: Weather forecast for Friday and Saturday... fingers crossed.

http://img.skitch.com/20100529-myb5yd412mr2rhmc7gg7rmtacp.jpg

theMusicMan
29th May 2010, 10:01 AM
Another Update:

We have 5 of us confirmed going on the West Wales / Skomer trip.

John - theMusicMan
John Baker
Teresa Baker
Mike - Mike_J
Richard - RAC

I'll be in touch closer to the date with further details of where I'll be etc and we can then exchange mobile numbers. I guess we're up for a meal and a few beers on the Friday evening... yes...? :)

mike_j
29th May 2010, 01:00 PM
Well, six since my wife (Susan) will be there with her Canon compact. She may opt out of the Skomer trip through.

Look forward to the meeting.

j.baker
29th May 2010, 01:36 PM
Food and beer......try stopping my wife :)

theMusicMan
29th May 2010, 01:38 PM
Well, six since my wife (Susan) will be there with her Canon compact. She may opt out of the Skomer trip through.

Look forward to the meeting.Oops, sorry Mike & Susan. I look forward to meeting you both.

Food and beer......try stopping my wife :)
Hehe... Teresa can get the first round in then eh John :)

theMusicMan
1st June 2010, 12:48 PM
Update: Weather is still looking good for Friday and Saturday folks; the forecast is for temperatures around 20degC, and for it to be partly cloudy. The best news for me though is the wind... or rather, the lack of it. Presently it isn't forecast to be a Northerly - which if it was, would put the Skomer trip significantly at risk as the ferry cannot land. Fingers crossed the wind direction doesn't change.

I will be leaving Newport on Friday morning around 7:00am and will be aiming to be in the area around Little Haven (where I am staying) at around 10:00. I shall then be dropping my bags off at the B&B (they have said I can park up as soon as I get there) and will be heading for Solva around 11:00 as per the draft itinerary below.

Here's the planned (but subject to change itinerary)

Itinerary:

Friday 4th June

11:00 - 13:00 - Solva, natural harbour: Walking around the harbour, also somewhere on slopes to get shot of the location from the hillsides.
13:00 - 14:00 - Lunch somewhere, no idea where or what!
14:00 - 15:00 - Newgale beach: a long 1.5 mile stretch of sandy beach. I want to walk along to the edges of beach to see what long exposure shots I can get
15:00 - 16:00 - Nolton Haven: at this time during the afternoon (according to TPE) the sun (if it is shining) will be directly over the sea from this narrow sandy inlet.
16:00 - 17:30 - coastal path walk, location yet to be decided; reckie to discover best sunset location.
17:30 - 18:30 - tea!
19:00 - sundown - Sunset photo-walk. Location yet to be decided, but possibly Little Haven, Westdale, St Brides inlet… not sure yet.
20:30 - pub grub and a few beers whilst we mull over our shots.

Saturday 5th June

05:00 - 06:00 - Sunrise shot, location to be determined
06:30 - 08:00 - Brekkie at my B&B
08:15 Meet at Martins Haven
09:30 Ferry across to Skomer
10:00 - 15:30 - Skomer Island: Puffins, Fulmars, Guillemots, Razorbills, Choughs, Warblers, GBB Gulls, LBB Gulls, walk around the island
16:00 Ferry back to Martins Haven

John iPhone Mobile: 07927 514475 - feel free to add me to your contacts and let me know if you're coming along - everyone welcome.

I shall send out a text message in the week to those currently listed as coming along, to confirm everything, so please add my name and number to your contacts and also if you're not sure if I have your number or not, and if you plan on meeting up, please send me a PM here or txt on the number above.

People coming along:

John - theMusicMan
John Baker
Teresa Baker
Mike - Mike_J
Susan (Mikes wife)
Richard - RAC

Please do get in touch if there are any changes of plan, and also... there's still time for anyone else who might be interested in coming along... :)

shenstone
1st June 2010, 01:45 PM
Sorry - looks like we can't do this

I was really hopeful, but too much work for me and the mrs

hope you have fun

Regards
Andy

theMusicMan
2nd June 2010, 09:30 AM
Shame Andy, but thanks for letting me know.

I also forgot to mention to those who are able to come along... that Skomer is an unusual place in that it seems to have it's very own micro climate. It's just far enough off shore to have that slight variation in weather to the mainland... honest!

On one of the days I went there last year, it was drizzle all the way from Newport - but I was sunburnt after spending 5 hours on the island!!

So... looking at the present weather forecast for Friday and Saturday, I would strongly suggest you take with you some suncream. It's an exposed place with no trees, there is usually a slight breeze, and you won't notice the sun burning you. You have been warned!!

cinders
4th June 2010, 08:21 AM
It looks like you'll all have a stunning few days on and around Skomer- I am so envious, stuck here in work.

Enjoy!

Cindy

j.baker
5th June 2010, 08:41 PM
John, Thank you for organising the Skomer event and for putting up with me for two days.

I will try to upload some photos later on next week when I get back home.

theMusicMan
5th June 2010, 10:56 PM
No probs John, hope your journey to North Wales was trouble free!!

Just the one shot from me for now, had friends over this evening so no time to look at any more - and I am kernackered!!!

Puffin, in flight, with sand eels!
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/s6/v6/p171269746-4.jpg

steverh
6th June 2010, 07:29 AM
That's a belter, John! *chr

BobS
6th June 2010, 08:16 AM
A great capture, John. You have whetted our appetites for more and we look forward to seeing them.............when you've rested!
*chr

StephenL
6th June 2010, 12:53 PM
A really lovely - and unusual - shot, John. How did you get it to balance on its tail??

JackBenedict
6th June 2010, 03:36 PM
:) John - That one shot tells me I missed a great day,but hopefully there will be others for me to attend in the future

In the meantime I am off for 3 weeks stay in hospital.

Glad to see the day turned out so well for all of those who made it.

BobS
6th June 2010, 08:14 PM
:) John - That one shot tells me I missed a great day,but hopefully there will be others for me to attend in the future

In the meantime I am off for 3 weeks stay in hospital.

Glad to see the day turned out so well for all of those who made it.

Good luck with your stay in hospital, Phil. Hope all goes well.

Never mind the puffins, might we see some great shots of the nurses?*yes

PaulE
6th June 2010, 09:28 PM
No probs John, hope your journey to North Wales was trouble free!!

Just the one shot from me for now, had friends over this evening so no time to look at any more - and I am kernackered!!!

Puffin, in flight, with sand eels!
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/s6/v6/p171269746-4.jpg

Is that really a Nikon D700 I see listed in the exif John ??? :eek:

It's a good shot but no wonder you're so knackered if you lumped that concrete block around with you all day :p

JackBenedict
6th June 2010, 09:44 PM
Bob

I'll let you know in due course ... There may be some lookers !!!

theMusicMan
7th June 2010, 06:41 AM
Is that really a Nikon D700 I see listed in the exif John ??? :eek:

It's a good shot but no wonder you're so knackered if you lumped that concrete block around with you all day :pIt certainly is Paul... but alas not mine. Some kind gentleman who I met on the walk around the island allowed me to fire off a card full of shots on his D700 whilst he used his D300. Took me about 10 mins!!! hehe.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up my E3 with the 70-300mm attached - was the huge reach. It's just massive (meaning good) on the e-system. Anyhow... just to redress this slight digression to the dark side, here's a few Skomer shots to balance things, all taken with the E-3 and 70-300mm... (more from the previous day seascapes and sunsets later)

Puffin, with Sand Eels
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/s10/v17/p986808875-4.jpg

Fulmar over the Ocean
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/s9/v14/p697605979-4.jpg

Jackdaw, eyeing my sandwiches!
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/s7/v8/p797766755-4.jpg

theMusicMan
7th June 2010, 10:10 AM
Here's another shot, a bit gruesome though sorry.

It's a Great Black Backed Gull, who is feeding on a Manx Shearwater that it just caught and killed. Poor thing was flapping around for a few seconds before succumbing to the huge GBBG.

This shot was taken hand-held on my E3, using Richards (RAC) legacy 500mm lens, and I added my EC14 for good measure too.

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/s10/v17/p789344675-4.jpg