PDA

View Full Version : ND Filters on Ebay

gregles
2nd February 2010, 11:55 PM
Just looking at a set of ND filters on Ebay. Will these be okay? The reason I ask is that the description mentions green but I am unsure whether this is a typo or not:confused:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/77mm-ND2-ND4-ND8-set-Neutral-Density-ND-Filter-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ260521907788QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cam erasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN ?hash=item3ca850d64c

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd February 2010, 12:26 AM
I think the "Green.1" is the "manufacturer" but at 14 for a set of 3 you will only get what you pay for... :o

Personally I wouldn't buy them

*chr

theMusicMan
3rd February 2010, 07:58 AM
I've always found that ND Grads are used more than plain ND's. ND's a re good for providing additional exposure for running water and cloud shots, or of course when the ambient light is too much for what you're trying to do, but there's more opportunity to use a grad.

As Graham says - you pays your money and all that. :)

gregles
3rd February 2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys.

I was going to experiment using them stacked with a graduated nd filter which I have just ordered along with a remote release cable.

I agree you get what you pay for but I am an amateur snapper with four growing kids and boy are they hungry:eek:

HughofBardfield
3rd February 2010, 02:42 PM
The main problem with cheap NDs is that some give a noticable colour cast in some conditions. Cokin's are not immune from this, despite being mid-priced, giving a magenta cast (particularly on the E1). It can usually be removed in post-processing with a bit of work...

I would recommend Hi Tech as a good mid-price brand that's free of colour casts.

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd February 2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys.

I was going to experiment using them stacked with a graduated nd filter which I have just ordered along with a remote release cable.

I agree you get what you pay for but I am an amateur snapper with four growing kids and boy are they hungry:eek:

If it's to experiment then they are ideal and well worth the money. I used a welding hood filter to try out ND10 & ND11 It cost 2.25 inc P&P from ebay and was a great investment.

My 30 year old son still pops in for lunch and empties the fridge... :eek:

*chr

gregles
3rd February 2010, 05:03 PM
If it's to experiment then they are ideal and well worth the money. I used a welding hood filter to try out ND10 & ND11 It cost 2.25 inc P&P from ebay and was a great investment.

My 30 year old son still pops in for lunch and empties the fridge... :eek:

*chr

I am going for them then, it could be good fun.

Our youngsters are 16, 15, 10 and 7. There is never a dull moment*laugh