PDA

View Full Version : What are the best settings ?

E-3
2nd February 2010, 03:21 PM
Me again :o :o :o............From peoples experience, what are the best settings for contrast, sharpness, & saturation on a E-3 ?

meach
2nd February 2010, 03:36 PM
I think most people would agree that Wrotniak is the expert on this sort of thing. His website is:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

He has recommended setting for most E System cameras

Andel
2nd February 2010, 03:41 PM
I agree,Wrotniak's write up on the E3 is better than the manual

Kiwi Paul
2nd February 2010, 04:23 PM
They only are valid when shooting JPG's if you are shooting only RAW those settings don't apply.

Paul

photo_owl
2nd February 2010, 04:55 PM
Me again :o :o :o............From peoples experience, what are the best settings for contrast, sharpness, & saturation on a E-3 ?

there are no single best settings for all subjects in all circumstances

Wreckdiver
2nd February 2010, 06:57 PM
As Paul says, the settings aren't valid for RAW. Shoot in RAW and tweak to your heart's content in PP to find what settings you prefer.

Steve

Andel
2nd February 2010, 07:57 PM
But Wrotniak at least explains in laymans terms what the settings are and what they do, much better than the manual does.

meach
3rd February 2010, 12:30 AM
But Wrotniak at least explains in laymans terms what the settings are and what they do, much better than the manual does.

I'd go further than that - the manual tells you what settings you can make. Full stop. It makes no attempt whatsoever to explain what they are or what they do.

Kiwi Paul
3rd February 2010, 08:51 AM
Keep in mind this is a pro camera and I think Oly assume folk using this camera already have a basic understanding of such things.

Paul

E-3
3rd February 2010, 01:20 PM
As Paul says, the settings aren't valid for RAW. Shoot in RAW and tweak to your heart's content in PP to find what settings you prefer.

Steve

I know it does`nt matter if you are shooting in RAW, but unfortunately for work I have to shoot in jpeg`s as they have to go straight into a laptop & out via email to my picture editor. I was just wanted some advice on the in-camera sharpening more than anything else. But thank you all anyway for your kind responses. *chr

DerekW
4th February 2010, 05:29 PM
In to a Laptop and straight out to email - that is what I do using RAW based images.

However the people on this forum in the main do not want to know about such methods <g>

yorky
4th February 2010, 06:08 PM
Well I prefer raw, I use the lowest iso possible usually 100 and grudging work upwards, always aperture priority. If its moving I use the continoues drive and single focus spot. Sometimes it even works?