PDA

View Full Version : General exposure query

meach
1st February 2010, 10:34 AM
When I take night shots I usually take three shots at different exposures:

As metered (but highlights burn out)
-1 stop (usually the best overall)
-2 stops (loss of shadow detail)

but often like all three for different reasons.

Am I right in thinking that if I set exposure compensation to -1 stop and then auto bracket at + and - 1 stop I'll get three shots at the above three exposure settings? Or does one of the settings ignore/override the other?

Nick Temple-Fry
1st February 2010, 10:50 AM
Yes - it's how I do my church shots - though over a wider range.

The camera brackets around whatever exposure value you have set. So you set -1 and have bracketting set to 3 shots at 1 ev difference you get -1, -2, 0

(If you were planning hdr I would suggest more on the + side to help control noise).

Nick

meach
1st February 2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks Nick - I knew somebody would know! Not planning HDR at the moment (but may well experiment sometime in the future) - I just wanted to take the three shots with one press of the shutter button and without having to reset the compensation. It will make life an awful lot easier!

Kiwi Paul
1st February 2010, 11:24 AM
When doing auto exposure bracketing make sure to shoot in 3's or 5's depending what bracketing is selected. The other day I selected bracketing took a few bracketing sequences them promptly forgot bracketing was selected and proceeded to take photos normally. I had shots normally exposed, then under exposed then the next over exposed, fortunately I did remember before too long and turned it off. lol.

Paul

meach
1st February 2010, 11:29 AM
When doing auto exposure bracketing make sure to shoot in 3's or 5's depending what bracketing is selected. The other day I selected bracketing took a few bracketing sequences them promptly forgot bracketing was selected and proceeded to take photos normally. I had shots normally exposed, then under exposed then the next over exposed, fortunately I did remember before too long and turned it off. lol.

Paul

I take it that means if I set bracketing for +- 1 stop (i.e. 3 shots) I need to press the shutter 3 times? Just as well you mentioned it - I'd have pressed it once and expected 3 shots lol Not what I'd call auto!

Nick Temple-Fry
1st February 2010, 11:31 AM

Paul

Been there, done it, swore

I have my bracketting options set on my-mode, which also switches off IS etc.

Not totally proof against this fool (me), but at least it's only one button/wheel to get back to normal shooting.

Nick

Kiwi Paul
1st February 2010, 11:36 AM
Yes you have to take 3 or 5 shots at once then the sequence starts over again. I use slow mode continuous (3 frames per sec) and count the required frames. Of course if you miss count or go over by one shot you have to either reset the bracketing or take more shots to get back to the beginning. Pity there isn't an option of a button to press to reset the sequence.

Paul

meach
1st February 2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Nick and Paul. Life isn't going to be quite as easy as I hoped but certainly easier than it's been - especially in the cold!. Cheers guys.

snaarman
1st February 2010, 12:27 PM
Been there, done it, swore

Nick

Yes. I got caught out a year ago.

I'd never really thought about it - but I assumed bracketing didnt operate in Manual mode for some reason, but it does.

So I had a whole sequence of flash shots with unexplained results. I was fiddling with aperture and flash setting - essentially chasing the bracketing - but one step behind :-)

Pete

meach
20th February 2010, 02:23 PM

Paul

I've just been digging in my E-510 manual and if you set auto bracketing on AND set the drive mode to continuous, then when you press and hold the shutter button it takes the three shots (which is all you can set on the E-5xx series) and then stops. I don't know how this works on other E-series cameras though. Obviously this won't remind you to turn auto bracketing off but you'd probably soon be aware as soon as you took another shot as you'd get more than one as an instant reminder. Tomorrow I'm going out to do some low light shots so I'll see how this works on long exposures with the remote release and report back.

Kiwi Paul
20th February 2010, 02:56 PM
On the E3 it does the same but up to 5 sequences, also you get a bar display in the VF showing bracketing is selected and what exposure compensation the next shot will be shot at, it also blinks to remind you that a sequence has been started, but if your not paying attention and grab a few quick shots it's easy to forget and miss the display warning.

Paul

dougdanter
21st February 2010, 12:18 AM
Paul, I assume you use Photomatix to create your final image. If not, what do you use? When you shoot the 5 frame bracketing sequence, do you capture the image in RAW or JPEG? If RAW, do you then "develop" each frame into a tiff file, then further save as a JPEG for Photomatix, or do you go straight for the jpeg when shooting and bypass the RAW process?

Regards, Doug

meach
21st February 2010, 08:08 AM
Paul, I assume you use Photomatix to create your final image. If not, what do you use? When you shoot the 5 frame bracketing sequence, do you capture the image in RAW or JPEG? If RAW, do you then "develop" each frame into a tiff file, then further save as a JPEG for Photomatix, or do you go straight for the jpeg when shooting and bypass the RAW process?

Regards, Doug

I do none of that - I shoot the three images simply because they are all different and often I like all three for diffferent reasons - not for HDR. I do shoot in RAW and JPEG in case I need to do any PP but often I'm happy with the JPEGs as shot by the camera.

Kiwi Paul
21st February 2010, 10:23 AM
I don't do HDR, I shoot mult exposures to see which one is best for PP work, in high contrast scenes where the dynamic range of the camera is been pushed to or beyond it's limits sometimes it's good to have several exposures to choose from to recover the most detail. I only shoot in RAW. On the occasions I have dabbled with HDR I used CS3 and used different layers and did it manually.

Paul