PDA

View Full Version : 12-60 good for landscapes

Iain
29th January 2010, 09:53 AM
My friend who has canon with wide angle len says that my 12-60 lens is wrong len to take good landscape photo , we are going to the west coast of scotland soon and looking for advise on this matter .

Ian
29th January 2010, 10:31 AM
No disrespect intende to your friends, but it doesn't sound like:

a) he/she knows much about photography

or

b) he/she doesn't know much about the 12-60

It's an ideal lens for landscape photography.

Ian

snaarman
29th January 2010, 11:20 AM
By all accounts its a good start, and a quality lens, so I gather.

The wide end will bring in big skies and get you those big perspective shots. However - wide angles do tend to "flatten" the landscape... so don't forget to use the long end of the lens to make those hills look bigger. I know its counter intuitive to take a tele to do landscape :-)

I would even suggest taking something longer as well, maybe a 40-150mm for the same reason.

Pete

StephenL
29th January 2010, 12:54 PM
The 12-60 is a superb lens for landscapes. The 12mm end is really quite wide (FoV equivalent in 35mm terms 24mm), and coupled with a reasonable short telephoto at the long end, if you just have the one lens, it's a good one. Your "friend" is talking out of their other end!

DerekW
29th January 2010, 02:49 PM
The 12-60 makes all other lens purchases very expensive on a per usage basis.
Rashly I guess that a 12-60 owner takes more than 90% of their pictures with this lens (unless they are a birder or an architectural fanatic)

David M
29th January 2010, 02:57 PM
No disrespect intende to your friends, but it doesn't sound like:

a) he/she knows much about photography

or

b) he/she doesn't know much about the 12-60

It's an ideal lens for landscape photography.

Ian

I though I replied to this but it seems to have disappeared.

I'm with Ian on this, the 12-60 is my most used lens for landscapes.

photo_owl
29th January 2010, 03:48 PM
any wider than the wide end of the 12-60 is, imo, simply a way to make most 'views' look further away!

I take the 12-60 in preference to the 7-14 for landscapes unless I expect to have elements of foreground interest which the wider angle can integrate into the overall scene better.

The concept of 'wider is best' for landscape photography is a myth.

It's much much better to have such discussions reviewing what you have (both) shot over a few beers ie with practical examples where your friend can highlight what you could have done with something wider. Generally this is true of all gear 'must have' discussions!

Have a good trip and, if you are thinking of getting anything for it, think tripod and GND/polarising filters

theMusicMan
29th January 2010, 04:19 PM
My friend who has canon with wide angle len says that my 12-60 lens is wrong len to take good landscape photo , we are going to the west coast of scotland soon and looking for advise on this matter .
I am in total agreement with what everyone has said here in that the 12-60mm is a great lens for landscape shots. The IQ of this lens is nothing short of brilliant, and though I have nothing against Canon or Nikon lenses, it would take a very high quality Canon lens to match the IQ of this one in particular.

I'd ask what lens is it that your friend suggests you use?

Reading between the lines it is my guess that this is perhaps a surreptitious comment aimed at Olympus cameras and lenses.

shenstone
29th January 2010, 09:16 PM
Coupled with the E-30 you have this sounds perfect

Wish I had one ... when Pennies allow

Regards
Andy

Kiwi Paul
29th January 2010, 11:05 PM
Reading between the lines it is my guess that this is perhaps a surreptitious comment aimed at Olympus cameras and lenses.

Yes smells of this doesn't it.

Paul

cinders
30th January 2010, 12:33 AM
Wish I had a 12-60 to play with, but am looking forward to trying out my 11-22mm in Arizona next week - Lots of big cacti !

Iain
30th January 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all your comments and look forward to trying my hand at landscapes , will post some photos of how i get on

oly_om
30th January 2010, 11:05 PM
I am in total agreement with what everyone has said here in that the 12-60mm is a great lens for landscape shots. The IQ of this lens is nothing short of brilliant, and though I have nothing against Canon or Nikon lenses, it would take a very high quality Canon lens to match the IQ of this one in particular.

I'd ask what lens is it that your friend suggests you use?

A chum of mine with a Canon 1Ds mkII has been acquiring a set of OM Zuiko glass (21mm, 24mm, 35mm) to use with the Canon because the Canon wide-angle glass is 'awful' - his words. Nikon has the edge with their 12-24mm zoom - see http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/canon14l2_nikon1424/nikon1424_canon14l2_a.html - the zoom is better than the canon prime by a mile!

The 12-60 does suffer a bit from a little distortion at the short end, but this is easily fixed in the (free) Olympus Master software.

Andy

crimbo
31st January 2010, 08:06 AM
A chum of mine with a Canon 1Ds mkII has been acquiring a set of OM Zuiko glass (21mm, 24mm, 35mm) to use with the Canon because the Canon wide-angle glass is 'awful' - ...
Andy

Which is why legacy glass is so expensive:rolleyes:

snaarman
31st January 2010, 08:26 AM
because the Canon wide-angle glass is 'awful' - his words.

Andy

AFAIK.. apart from cameras - Nikon and Olympus make microscopes, Canon make photocopiers :)

I'll get my coat

David M
31st January 2010, 12:43 PM
The 12-60 does suffer a bit from a little distortion at the short end, but this is easily fixed in the (free) Olympus Master software.

Andy

If I need 12-14mm I use the 7-14 but if I'm shooting that wide the 7-14 is usually already mounted.

But I probably take 5 or 6 times as many landscapes with the 12-60 than I do with the 7-14.

David M
31st January 2010, 12:47 PM
Which is why legacy glass is so expensive:rolleyes:

That's good for those of us who shot the OM system for decades and have an equipment cabinet full of OM primes.

Who's_E
31st January 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't think I have taken a landscape picture outside the focal length of 12-60. That perhaps shows my limits but it's just so good.

If pressed, I would want the 12-60 to be my "groundhog lens."

Nick

Toonman
5th March 2010, 08:37 AM
So would I but, I can't afford one!:)

z-dave
5th March 2010, 09:40 AM
AFAIK.. apart from cameras - Nikon and Olympus make microscopes, Canon make photocopiers :)

This quote is soo coming out of the bag when I next meet up with my Canon enthusiastic mate.

shenstone
5th March 2010, 09:55 AM
It's not ENTIRELY true ... they make pocket calculators as well :rolleyes:

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
5th March 2010, 04:27 PM

Ask your friend what Canon lens is better for taking landscapes - I think we'd all like to know!

Jim