PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

Paulpp
27th January 2010, 07:34 AM
Having taken the plunge various matters have meant that I have not been able to get to know the E-P1 as much as I would have wanted, but......
1. Using the display and zooming the lens easier than I had imagined
2. Display not that easy to see in bright light but good enough for framing an image
3. Image quality better than I expected
4. Menu system as comprehensive (spelt complicated) as ever
5. Supplied strap far too short
6. Have not tried high ISO and limited use to 200ASA.
7. Size and weight just about what I wanted
8. Need to get used to using my reading glasses when loking at the display!!!!

joeletx
27th January 2010, 04:11 PM
I play with one at the local store and kind of like it too. The slow AF is a major weakness but the MF is not bad at all! It is probably the best solution for low light and focus lock difficulty. When I touch the focus ring on the 20mm lens, the screen instantly magified and allows me to fine tune the focusing. When I decided to snap the picture, the screen went back to the intented frame as I pushed the shutter button all the way. To do MF on my E-500, I had to zoom in, focus, zoom back out, frame then shoot; the EP-1 is much better in this respect. If I am in the market for the EP-1 or the EP-2, I would not hesitate to get one.

Joe

Ian
27th January 2010, 04:54 PM
Having taken the plunge various matters have meant that I have not been able to get to know the E-P1 as much as I would have wanted, but......
1. Using the display and zooming the lens easier than I had imagined
2. Display not that easy to see in bright light but good enough for framing an image
3. Image quality better than I expected
4. Menu system as comprehensive (spelt complicated) as ever
5. Supplied strap far too short
6. Have not tried high ISO and limited use to 200ASA.
7. Size and weight just about what I wanted
8. Need to get used to using my reading glasses when loking at the display!!!!

I agree the strap is too short and will be flagging this with Olympus. I have the leather-style strap from the retro E-P1 option kit and it's much longer.

Ian

Ian
27th January 2010, 04:56 PM
I play with one at the local store and kind of like it too. The slow AF is a major weakness but the MF is not bad at all! It is probably the best solution for low light and focus lock difficulty. When I touch the focus ring on the 20mm lens, the screen instantly magified and allows me to fine tune the focusing. When I decided to snap the picture, the screen went back to the intented frame as I pushed the shutter button all the way. To do MF on my E-500, I had to zoom in, focus, zoom back out, frame then shoot; the EP-1 is much better in this respect. If I am in the market for the EP-1 or the EP-2, I would not hesitate to get one.

Joe

S-AF with the E-P1/2 is not an issue, really. But the C-AF mode is almost useless in my view and Panasonic does a much better job. Manual focus is fine.

Ian

Paulpp
27th January 2010, 05:18 PM
I agree with autofocus. I almost entirely use SAF and have not noticed any problem.

robbie_d
24th August 2010, 08:44 AM
I agree with autofocus. I almost entirely use SAF and have not noticed any problem.

I've pretty much used the "SAF and reframe" approach on all cameras I've owned and its served me well.

The E-P1's reported AF limitations are vastly reduced by this approach I feel.