PDA

View Full Version : Stolichnaya

emirpprime
6th February 2008, 11:41 PM
Any comments welcome :D

This is 'looking for perfection' so please be brutal ;)

Phil

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/505/2064116.jpg

Graham_of_Rainham
7th February 2008, 11:59 AM
It's a Minature of Vodka?:) 2.68 KB (2,753 bytes)

Can you re-post a larger file

emirpprime
7th February 2008, 12:17 PM
Lol! Just sorted it. I tried to make it a "clickable thumb" that would take you to the larger version in the gallery here but it didn't work :confused:
Sorted it now though.

Thanks,
Phil

ndl0071
7th February 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi

I do quite like this shot, for me though it lacks colour, looks a bit washed out can you get more the reds especially to 'come out' more?

Can't spend to much time looking at it though, it's making me very thirsty:D

Scapula Memory
7th February 2008, 02:12 PM
I like this shot to. Very creative and something you would expect to see in a advert. I think I would try and increase the colours slightly as well.

Can`t get excited about vodka though, give me a single malt any day.

John

Graham_of_Rainham
7th February 2008, 02:21 PM
You really have set your self one hell of a challenge with this one...

I guess the bottle was frozen and the "snow"? added on or this was taken somewhere outside in the cold. The picture is not shouting out what it is intended to convey, Is it and advertising shot? The colours are quite flat and I think the whole bottle and the enviroment it was in would add to the "story" of this picture. If this was a set-up shot then the idea is very good and certianly worth pursuing with all sorts of various settings, angles coloured lighting etc., that will give it punch.

Sorry if I've used to many drink related words...

There, I even resisted asking if it was taken while you were on the piste...

Cheers

Graham

art frames
7th February 2008, 03:13 PM
Phil

I'm trying to be brutal, doesn't come easy to me. I will add some constructive stuff as well:)

The image doesn't make me want to engage with the bottle. I get no sense of scale and to be honest little appeal to touch it. The white is a clinical white and doesn't look to be snow white, more freezer ice. But I am not fond of the cold and would prefer there to be cold and warmth together.

The message of Russian - which I assume is quality in this context could be enhanced by Caviar or other luxury goods in the frame. It is missing a glass with contents which would have helped make it more explicitly selling the contents not the bottle.

If you could get a shaft of sunlight hitting a key part of your image (glass, caviar, bottle label) it would be a lot more appealing to me.

Finally people or activity in the background might enhance the message of conviviality and fun. And I agree about the colour.

Feels like I'm saying you'd be best to start again, sorry. It is hard to make food look good enough to eat/drink. You did it with the mince pies. :o

Peter

Meogeo
7th February 2008, 04:10 PM
On a lighter note, there website is worth a visit.

http://www.stoli.com/

Solar
8th February 2008, 12:26 AM
I cannot see anything really technically wrong ... maybe add a little more pop with the colors .... but still one last thing I would have done is add a shot glass filled barely below the top and placed it in the fore to the right ... would have to then see the vodka with a reflection on the light and without to determine what my eyes liked the most. It would, with the shot glass, make me want to reach through and pick it up and take a drink. Now that's advertising ....

Ellie
8th February 2008, 01:10 AM
I think it's very cleverly done, the bottle almost glows, somehow. I like the frost too.

The shot glass sounds a good idea, if you did that would you need to show more of the bottle itself?

emirpprime
8th February 2008, 10:40 AM
Wow, thanks for all the responses! :D

I've been in London since yesterday so am a bit behind! So sorry but I'm going to reply to everyone in one thread instead of posting 7 times...

ndl0071 & Scapula Memory - yes I see what you mean on the colours. I had actually reduced the overall saturation of the image, then boosted the reds back up, but just not far enough!

Graham_of_Rainham - It was taken indoors on my new light table, just experimenting with no real aim, which I think is part of the reason for lack of props etc, it wasn't very planned out. It just so happened that our freezer seal had to be replaced this week after it started disintegrating and allowing the freezer to become a glacier. This meant the bottle (stored in there for the thick syrupy texture and taste) was iced up. After a few shots I decided to grab some "snow" from the freezer and bung it around for a little scenery. I didn't really consider coloured lighting. I really should add some gels or atleast that coloured plastic paper stuff to the arsenal to experiment with. I think I'll have a play at cross-processing it too.

art frames - I think you also raised some excellent points. As said above it wasn't properly planned etc which is my excuse for lack of props ;) You were also right about the freezer ice! Good eye (although I suppose it was relatively unlikely that a UK e-group member was currently under snow!) The glass or food seems like a good plan, and you hit the nail on the head that I was simply taking a photo of the bottle, not the drink really. That's a very good lesson :)
the frustrating thing with food and drink photography I find is most things have a limited time on them and so really need planning and everything to hand. I'm just not organised enough at the moment! Perhaps I should stick to things I enjoy eating as part of the process like the mince pies ;) Drinking the vodka isn't very conducive to in focus pictures!

Meogeo - I particularly love the video if you click on Choose Authenticity :D (on stoli.com that is, not the uk site)

Solar - good point. I didn't really consider trying to invoke the want to actually drink it. I just saw a pretty bottle ;) It was also melting fast which stifled experimentation a bit. A good case for thinking before you start!

Ellie - Thanks. The glow comes from being lit from below I think. There was also a light from the back if memory serves but most light was from under. It allows the light "into" the liquid which tends to work pretty well.On showing more of the bottle I suppose it depends on what you make the focus. It could be mostly the glass with just the label section of the bottle showing for the name, or it could be mostly bottle with the glass just as background. Lots of experimentation needed I think :)

Thanks again everyone for the kind and constructive words :D And sorry for the slow reply.
Phil

Hiding_Pup
11th February 2008, 10:43 AM
Good lighting but the off-centredness of the subject doesn't work for me, nor does not seeing the entirety of the bottle.