PDA

View Full Version : 35mm or 25mm pancake?

hihi2u2
25th January 2010, 06:47 PM
I like to get a prime for my e420, I bought it cause my D80 is too heavy to carry it round everyday and miss the days like the OM where it is small with good primes.

Just wondering if money is a problem which lens would be better for good shallow DOF for portraits and general street photography. I tend to take photos of street at night because of the lightings so thats why I'm abit put off by both or should I save up some money and go for the 14-54mm or 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 Leica.

theMusicMan
25th January 2010, 07:16 PM
If it's really shallow DoF you want, coupled with simply the best IQ, then you'd be better saving for the awesome 50mm f2 macro. I have the 14-54mm and it is a smashing lens, great for portraits and general street stuff.

I also have the 35mm macro, which has proven superb for some portrait work too. I managed a CD cover with one!

Kiwi Paul
25th January 2010, 07:34 PM
There's a bit of a conflict in your requirements, an ideal lens for portraits and an ideal lens for street scenes would probably suit different focal lengths.

For general use and street scenes the 25mm pancake is a nifty little lens, small, very light and a reasonable performer although not the absolute best in image quality, I used to own one and enjoyed using it.

The 35mm almost certainly has better optics and is more suited for portraits (possibly still a bit short though) and while adequate for street scenes I feel it may be just a tad too long for that.

The 50mm f2 lens is excellent with suburb optics but second hand is around 250 so maybe out of your budget, again though this is an ideal portrait lens but I don't think that suited for street work as it's just too long.

Paul

hihi2u2
25th January 2010, 09:40 PM
It seems like it is still worth saving up for a 14-54mm or the 14-50mm :P

The 35mm would be perfect but I'll prefer giving something with larger aperture for low light. So still have to save up he hee :)

geirsan
25th January 2010, 09:51 PM
Very short response here: I find the 35mm excellent for "slow" shooting, but it just won't work for street photography as the focusing is way to slow. I would go for the 25mm as your need for a pocketable camera needs the 25mm. The 35 makes the set a bit more bumpy.

kuvvy
26th January 2010, 02:54 PM
I use the 25mm pancake on my E420 and find it a very neat, lightweight & reasonably fast. The focal length being 50mm equivalent is generally suited to street shooting. I used to own a D80 too and also found it a tad heavy to lug around all day.