PDA

View Full Version : New or used 50-200mm?

beardedwombat
10th November 2007, 12:27 PM
So all my carefully collected Nikon gear and some other stuff to fund my new E-3 is simmering nicely on Ebay and comes to the boil tomorrow evening:). I have already ordered an E-3+12-60 and would like a 50-200 to go with it. The question is, should I buy a new 50-200 swd or a second hand non-swd jobbie. If I buy the latter, then I can possibly afford an FL-36R and an EC-14 or EC-20. To me this is a no-brainer as the slightly faster focussing of the swd lens is not worth the usefulness of the other two items - or am I missing something?
Chris

Ian
10th November 2007, 12:55 PM
So all my carefully collected Nikon gear and some other stuff to fund my new E-3 is simmering nicely on Ebay and comes to the boil tomorrow evening:). I have already ordered an E-3+12-60 and would like a 50-200 to go with it. The question is, should I buy a new 50-200 swd or a second hand non-swd jobbie. If I buy the latter, then I can possibly afford an FL-36R and an EC-14 or EC-20. To me this is a no-brainer as the slightly faster focussing of the swd lens is not worth the usefulness of the other two items - or am I missing something?
Chris

That's a really good question. I briefly used the new 50-200 SWD at the Istanbul E-3 intro event for journos earlier this week. As the focus mechanism has a longer throw than the 12-60, naturally it's not as 'snappy' when auto focusing. On the other hand, it does seem that the optics have been upgraded - the older lens is very good anyway, though not quite as impressive as the 'Top Pro' classification Zuiko Digitals. But then the new 50-200 is not classified as a Top Pro either. Having SWD means you have nicer manual focus, of course.

Tough call! :)

Ian

beardedwombat
10th November 2007, 02:33 PM
I tried the "old" 50-200 with an E-3 at the Park Cameras event and felt that the focussing was equally as good as the Nikon SWM lenses I have and with which I have been happy. I had not considered the manual focussing aspect and, although I am likely to use manual focus more because of live-view, I don't have a problem with my fly-by-wire E-510 kit lenses. So, I think its going to be a used "old" 50-200 + FL-36R + EC14 (or EC-20) - yippee! Of course all I need now is my E-3...................
Chris

R MacE
10th November 2007, 05:54 PM
I think the 50-200 (old) is a great lens, I'd definately go for the lens + EC-1.4 (2.0) combo, in fact I already have. The FBW focussing isn't all bad news once you get used to it. It's really easy to tweak it using a fingertip rather than needing finger and thumb.

Good Luck with the Sale :)

Bo_Nydahl
10th November 2007, 07:10 PM
I have the old type 50-200 (don't suppose too many have the new one!) which I use on my 510. Being a bit of an anorak I like to photograph trains (freight) and I have never had a problem with obtaining focus or focus tracking. The upshot is I will have to be convinced big time that changing is worthwhile.

Mike

beardedwombat
10th November 2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys, for confirming my decision - Looking forward to using a 50-200 on my 510 while waiting for the E-3.
Chris

Hiding_Pup
11th November 2007, 11:52 AM
Have the old 50-200mm but, instead of stumping up for an EC-14, I picked up an old Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AI (they're often available for around the 60-80 mark) and have been very pleased with the results:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/1870183249_10027c29bd.jpg

The 200+ you'd save on not buying the EC-14/20 could buy you a back-up E-1, or a little E-410 for not-so-heavy-camera days...

R MacE
11th November 2007, 02:14 PM
Very nice shot, the Nikkor certainly delivers :)

beardedwombat
11th November 2007, 02:21 PM
I have been using a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 on my 510 with an Ebay Hong Kong adaptor so the idea of a Nikkor long lens is a good one. The disadvantage is more weight and bulk but there is that cost saving........
Chris

beardedwombat
11th November 2007, 04:48 PM
Just purchased a used, supposedly unmarked, 50-200 on Fleabay, at £463 it was a bit more than I wanted to pay but that's auctions for you! Bit of a gamble of course as these things always are. Assuming all is ok when it arrives, I hope it lives up to its reputation. My Nikon gear is still simmering away nicely on Ebay with a couple of hours to go so all I need now is that luvverly E-3 on order from Park Cameras. I am deeply fortunate to have had the collection of Nikon gear because if I was starting from scratch there is no way I could now afford the E-3. My shutter finger is itching to use it..........
Cheers
Chris

Ian
11th November 2007, 06:39 PM
Just purchased a used, supposedly unmarked, 50-200 on Fleabay, at 463 it was a bit more than I wanted to pay but that's auctions for you! Bit of a gamble of course as these things always are. Assuming all is ok when it arrives, I hope it lives up to its reputation. My Nikon gear is still simmering away nicely on Ebay with a couple of hours to go so all I need now is that luvverly E-3 on order from Park Cameras. I am deeply fortunate to have had the collection of Nikon gear because if I was starting from scratch there is no way I could now afford the E-3. My shutter finger is itching to use it..........
Cheers
Chris

Cor, the price at 54 mins to go is pretty good - hope it goes well for you, Chris!

Ian

beardedwombat
11th November 2007, 06:45 PM
Erm....yes! Bit more than I was expecting to tell the truth. Not complaining though! Now, how much is a 7-14.......:)

johnc
13th November 2007, 07:48 AM
Forget how much- the 7-14 is just sooooooooo sweet! Shouldn't be mentioning it in the telephoto section I'm sure, but.........

beardedwombat
13th November 2007, 06:05 PM
Received my Ebay 50-200mm today, mint apart from a couple of minor marks under the tripod mount. Optics and focussing with my 510 seem spot on and it is shaarrrp! Well pleased. Anyone thinking of buying one of these for a 510 should not be put off by the apparent bulk. Yes it's big and appears to overwhelm the camera, but it balances very well with the left hand under the zoom ring which is where the centre of gravity roughly is when attached to a 510. My first impression is that its reputation is well deserved. Now, where's my E-3............

Hiding_Pup
13th November 2007, 09:25 PM
I remember being a bit overawed but its size (stepped up from the old 40-150) but it truly is small for what it is...

Ian
13th November 2007, 09:34 PM
Received my Ebay 50-200mm today, mint apart from a couple of minor marks under the tripod mount. Optics and focussing with my 510 seem spot on and it is shaarrrp! Well pleased. Anyone thinking of buying one of these for a 510 should not be put off by the apparent bulk. Yes it's big and appears to overwhelm the camera, but it balances very well with the left hand under the zoom ring which is where the centre of gravity roughly is when attached to a 510. My first impression is that its reputation is well deserved. Now, where's my E-3............

You have probably alread discovered this, but just loosen the tripod mount collar and move the 'foot' 90 degrees to the top of the lens when mounted and then you can handle the lens more comfortably. You can remove the collar entirely if you aren't planning to use a tripod or monod - saves quite a bit of weight :)

Ian

beardedwombat
13th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Likely to use it hand held mainly, the super posh IS in the E-3 will assist here. I was surprised at how well balanced it is on a 510. Need to be carefull how long your neck strap is though as the lens hangs downward and could give you a rude awakening in the nether regions! Thanks to all for your help in choosing old or new.
Cheers
Chris

Barr1e
15th November 2007, 08:36 AM
Chris -

Wot no pic yet? Lol.

Regards. Barrie

beardedwombat
15th November 2007, 04:42 PM
Barr1e
Wot no jokes:D
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/516/PB131541-Edit.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/164)
Have only had about an hour playing with my new(old) 50-200, haven't had much time since. The above was snapped with it but the camera focussed on the beak not the eyes. Will upload some pics asap.
Cheers
Chris

Ian
15th November 2007, 05:25 PM
Barr1e
Wot no jokes:D
Have only had about an hour playing with my new(old) 50-200, haven't had much time since. The above was snapped with it but the camera focussed on the beak not the eyes. Will upload some pics asap.
Cheers
Chris

The background bokeh is really creamy :)

The attitude of the gull made us all laugh here - a case of 'Wot-you-lookin' at, eh?!'

Ian

beardedwombat
15th November 2007, 06:45 PM
That's actually what I put in the gallery description. I love the bokeh with this lens. Although I've not yet had time to try it properly it will be a pleasure to shoot telephoto with nice wide apertures. I'm hoping to get out and about this weekend, I was also hoping to get a call from Park Cameras about my E-3..............
Chris

R MacE
15th November 2007, 09:56 PM
Congrats on the new lens, I'm not surprised you like it, I love mine. I would go as far as to say it's the sharpest of the Pro range lenses that I own. I don't know if thats a common opinion or not. :cool:

Richard

ianjip
20th December 2007, 11:36 AM
Have the old 50-200mm but, instead of stumping up for an EC-14, I picked up an old Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AI (they're often available for around the 60-80 mark) and have been very pleased with the results:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/1870183249_10027c29bd.jpg

The 200+ you'd save on not buying the EC-14/20 could buy you a back-up E-1, or a little E-410 for not-so-heavy-camera days...

Hello another Ian here, new kid on the block, I have some nikon lenses, your post begs the question, how can you use a nikon lens with the Olympus or am I being thick ?
Ian

Hiding_Pup
20th December 2007, 11:38 AM
Look up Nikon-Olympus or Nikon to Four Thirds adapter on eBay - don't pay more than 15!

ianjip
20th December 2007, 12:07 PM
Look up Nikon-Olympus or Nikon to Four Thirds adapter on eBay - don't pay more than 15!

thank you for your reply, very helpful. Ian