PDA

View Full Version : Help: Manfrotto Grip Head

johnwb
22nd January 2010, 09:09 AM
Does anyone have any experience on the use of these on a Manfrotto 679B monopod? Are these items a worthwhile purchase or would a simpler B & S do just as well? I am looking to support an E-3 with the 50-200 lens fitted. If recommended, which one? The 322rc2 or the 222?

Regards
John WB

photo_owl
22nd January 2010, 09:26 AM
a lot depends on your intended use - I can't see the point of adding a head designed for fine and quick adjustment on a moving platform such as a monopod, especially grip heads as I run out of hands!

with the E3 and 50-200 (which I use a lot on a monopod) I have the camera in the right hand and the lens in the left as usual - the monopod simply takes the weight and provides improved pitch control etc

normally I use the simple tilt QR plate, sometimes I use a relatively small ball head if I feel I may want to lock off at an angle other than 'horizontal' from time to time.

johnwb
22nd January 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Owl,

Your response is welcome.
Is the simple tilt head you use the 234RC?

John WB

StephenL
22nd January 2010, 02:12 PM
I have a Manfrooto grip head, but only use it on my tripod. For monopod use a simple but strong ball head is all you need - mainly to allow you to orientate your camera to portrait mode if needed.

StephenA
22nd January 2010, 02:39 PM
I have a Manfrooto grip head, but only use it on my tripod. For monopod use a simple but strong ball head is all you need - mainly to allow you to orientate your camera to portrait mode if needed.

I'm afraid I would have to strongly recommend not using a ball head on a monopod, the Manfrotto 234RC is ideal and intended for monopods.

My reasons are really for safety, as when you release a ballhead there is always a danger of the camera flopping in any direction, unless you have a good hold of the camera. A single plane of adjustment is best IMHO

photo_owl
22nd January 2010, 03:11 PM
indeed John.

StephenL
22nd January 2010, 03:43 PM
Good point, but I always hold the camera and not the monopod :)

I'm afraid I would have to strongly recommend not using a ball head on a monopod, the Manfrotto 234RC is ideal and intended for monopods.

My reasons are really for safety, as when you release a ballhead there is always a danger of the camera flopping in any direction, unless you have a good hold of the camera. A single plane of adjustment is best IMHO

johnwb
22nd January 2010, 08:35 PM
To each of you a thank you for your input. I think I will go for the 234rc for the monopod. I choose this for the reasons given of safety, and the fact given that I only have two hands to stablise a monopod, control a lens, fire a shutter and operate a 322/222. Keep it simple!

The ball head or a 322 I think will consider later for my intended tripod (190XB) in which case they would be available for the monopod to try, but bearing in mind all the points made, it is unlikely to prove suitable.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

Best regards
John WB