PDA

View Full Version : Tamron SP 90mm

garethlovering
19th January 2010, 10:47 PM
Has anybody got some views on this Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 Lens.
I am thinking about buying one to do some macro work.

snaarman
20th January 2010, 08:21 AM
Has anybody got some views on this Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 Lens.
I am thinking about buying one to do some macro work.

I had one of these for a year and rate it very highly (I sold it reluctantly to raise some cash). It is very nearly as sharp as the Zuiko Digital 50mm f2 and gives a very similar field of view (about 36mm wide) at max mag. The working distance for the Tamron is somewhat greater than the Zuiko. They both work well as sharp tele lenses, but benefit from a lens hood or shade to reduce flare.

Mine was the earlier all metal design (49mm filter size) which had a wonderful smooth feel. Quite heavy by modern lens standards.

Pete

mike_j
20th January 2010, 09:14 AM
I had one and was very pleased with it. Good build quality and very sharp. It needs a short (25mm) extension tube to give 1:1 reproduction.

Xpres
20th January 2010, 11:23 AM
I don't think you'll here a bad word about them.
I've been very pleased with mine. (2nd version)

MartinF
21st January 2010, 10:22 PM
I used several Mk1 Tamron 90mm on OM cameras for many years, with superb close-up results - it was a good portrait lens for 35mm cameras, too. Used with Four-thirds, results are reasonable, but I find the working distance a bit more than I really like, so tend to use an OM Olympus 50mm f3.5 macro.

I recently found an unmarked Mk2 Tamron 90mm for 7 in a local charity shop -I couldn't resist it, of course. It works well, but I don't somehow like the feel of the Mk2 as much as the originals. Get one and play!

Jim Ford
21st January 2010, 11:02 PM
Get one and play!

Hmm, they go for non-trivial prices on Ebay!

Jim

David M
22nd January 2010, 01:13 PM
I used several Mk1 Tamron 90mm on OM cameras for many years, with superb close-up results - it was a good portrait lens for 35mm cameras, too. Used with Four-thirds, results are reasonable, but I find the working distance a bit more than I really like, so tend to use an OM Olympus 50mm f3.5 macro.

I found the working distance a bit short on my OM bodies so used it with 1.4x and 2x convertors at times. It's my macro of choice on four-thirds.

I also have the Olympus 50mm f3.5 macro and the high magnification 38mm f2.8 macro but don't use them with my four-thirds bodies.