PDA

View Full Version : Why are Jessops selling off their E-620's

cinders
18th January 2010, 02:22 PM
This seems to have been a general theme over the past few weeks. Not just 620's but E-30's and various lenses too.

Are they getting out of Olympus 4/3rds altogether and just concentrating on the PEN series?

Rather a shame I think - but has at least thrown up a few brilliant bargains.

I really should have gone for the 620 while they had it at 399 !

Anyone know what they're up to though?

*snowflake*snowflake*snowflake

steve s
18th January 2010, 02:41 PM
My local Jessops in Bristol seem to have no Olympus stock at all, I wondered if it was something to do with when they had there difficulties and may have owed Olympus loads of money?

Steve.

cinders
18th January 2010, 02:46 PM
I really do wonder - especially as several other shops seem to think of Olympus as a poor cousin!

BTW - how do you find using your 620?

What features really impress you? I need to try to explain to my partner that I really DO need to upgrade !

*chr

philthunder
18th January 2010, 02:51 PM
Bit of a cock up I ment Currys.
Looks like they are getting out of Olympus but they are importing the E600, does not make sence, still at £400 for the body its a bargan if you dont need the fancy overlays of the 620. Bluewater has two 12-60 lens at £560. I picked up an E3 and 12-60 for under £900. If I dont get on with the camera the lens is still a bargan. Oh and they are selling the flash FL36r at £159.99 well worth a visit. Internet prices without the delivery.

steve s
18th January 2010, 03:01 PM
I really do wonder - especially as several other shops seem to think of Olympus as a poor cousin!

BTW - how do you find using your 620?

What features really impress you? I need to try to explain to my partner that I really DO need to upgrade !

*chr

Sorry but this is my first dslr so to be honest I cant compare it with anything else, but I think it is a smashing camera and and apart from the price of glassware for the E series cant fault it (yet).

Steve

Ian
18th January 2010, 03:02 PM
Whoaa! Come on everybody, let's have a reality check here. Jessops is not dumping Olympus or Four Thirds or vice-versa.

It's not unusual for smaller branches of Jessops to limit their stocked ranges. Olympus gear is more prevalent in larger stores and stores that are more equipped to serve enthusiasts and professionals.

Olympus DSLR gear is featured normally on the Jessops web site.

Yes, the E-620 is out of stock in Jessops at present, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be stocked again in the future.

Jessops, above all, has to manage stock carefully, so it's not surprising to see items dropping off the catalogue from time to time.

Only Dixons group stores are stocking the E-600 (officially) in the UK at present.

Ian

Ian
18th January 2010, 03:12 PM
I see that Jessops isn't stocking the Sony Alpha A550 DSLR - does that mean they are dropping Sony?

Ian

shenstone
18th January 2010, 06:21 PM
I think all this syrtange behavior is due to their financial state

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Jessops_plc_set_for_voluntary_liquidation_next_wee k_Firm_reassures_customers_news_293856.html

They are probably trying to rake in money and customers as fast as they can with any odd deal they can think of

Regards
Andy

Wreckdiver
18th January 2010, 09:08 PM
Jessops at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol have the E-620 body for £399. I asked whether that included the grip and the answer was inconclusive. The girl I spoke to said that they didn't have any grips in stock - just bodies, but the box the camera comes in said that a grip was included. Then she said that if a grip was supplied then it would have to be claimed back from Olympus :confused: along with the free battery. The Olympus website only lists the battery as a promotional item, not the grip. Anyway, at least the bodies are there at £399 if anyone wants to visit them. If you can get a grip out of them then so much the better.

Steve

geirsan
18th January 2010, 10:17 PM
Well, Jessop may have their reasons, but one of the major Oly sellers in Canada are dropping Oly, and it gives me the same creeps when sellers suddenly started selling of their Minoltas.
I am really worried that Oly are getting out of the fourthirds market and just concentrating on the micro lineup. After all, they have to play catchup to the Canikons, and that would cost more than it pays in a market where they are behind everyone else except Pentax.
For instance, Olys are almost never mentioned in omportant mags like Digital SLR Photography and What Digital Camera.
I'm really considering selling my £4000 investment in Oly equipment and playing it safe with the Canon EOS7D.

David M
18th January 2010, 11:04 PM
Well, Jessop may have their reasons, but one of the major Oly sellers in Canada are dropping Oly,

Actually a couple of Canadian retailers have dropped Olympus. But from what I understand it's more to do with Olympus Canada not wanting to supply them with stock because they discount to much.

I was never impressed with Olympus UK in the later years of the OM system but my impression is that Olympus Canada are even worse.

Still at least I've not had to threaten Olympus Canada with legal action yet.

Ian
19th January 2010, 08:58 AM
Well, Jessop may have their reasons, but one of the major Oly sellers in Canada are dropping Oly, and it gives me the same creeps when sellers suddenly started selling of their Minoltas.
I am really worried that Oly are getting out of the fourthirds market and just concentrating on the micro lineup. After all, they have to play catchup to the Canikons, and that would cost more than it pays in a market where they are behind everyone else except Pentax.
For instance, Olys are almost never mentioned in omportant mags like Digital SLR Photography and What Digital Camera.
I'm really considering selling my £4000 investment in Oly equipment and playing it safe with the Canon EOS7D.

I can't agree with this - certainly with What Digital Camera (a magazine I work with on and off) in the last year Olympus has featured normally. There have been no new E-System DSLRs since last Spring (E-450) apart from the E-600 in the summer, so it's only natural that coverage will drop off before the next generation of product arrives.

Ian

oly_om
19th January 2010, 11:05 AM
What was the top selling DSLR camera for Amazon Germany last month?

The E-520!

Classic fourthirds doesn't seem to be going away!

I don't buy this 'it is all going mFT' - classic fourthirds has some stellar glass, not something that is easily said of mFT yet, if indeed, ever. For wildlife and sports shooters, DSLRs will continue to be the best alternative. The downside, up until recently, has been the sensor performance. The gap has narrowed and I'm sure will close further within the next few months. It's natural to feel unloved as a classic FT user as there hasn't been much from Olympus for the past 6 months - it's been all mFT - and rightly so - they needed to focus their efforts there. But it has only been 6 months. Wait 3 months and we won't be having this discussion.

The buzz around mFT can only help FT - more revenue and crucially, it gets folk looking at Olympus more widely.

Andy

gno
19th January 2010, 11:26 AM
I can't agree with this - certainly with What Digital Camera (a magazine I work with on and off) in the last year Olympus has featured normally. There have been no new E-System DSLRs since last Spring (E-450) apart from the E-600 in the summer, so it's only natural that coverage will drop off before the next generation of product arrives.

Ian

Perhaps what is needed is a statement from Olympus about its commitment to 4/3rds and an outline of its aims for the future. That I feel would go a long way to pacifying worried users and possibly increase sales in a down market.

Regards

Gavin

StephenL
19th January 2010, 11:30 AM

But they are regularly featured in that most respected and venerable of photographic journals - Amateur Photographer.

Why? Are you afraid that suddenly your Olympus gear will no longer take good photographs? :) Change systems by all means if you aren't getting the results you want, but surely if they do go down, you'll be able to buy all those exotic lenses at a knock-down price! ;) And I don't think you can consider any digital camera system as an "investment". Try telling that to your pensions manager!

oly_om
19th January 2010, 11:31 AM
Perhaps what is needed is a statement from Olympus about its commitment to 4/3rds and an outline of its aims for the future. That I feel would go a long way to pacifying worried users and possibly increase sales in a down market.

Regards

Gavin

They made such a statement only a couple of months ago!

gno
19th January 2010, 11:49 AM
They made such a statement only a couple of months ago!

A lot changes in 2 months these days look at Japan Airlines.

oly_om
19th January 2010, 12:54 PM

Given the success of mFT and the fact that Olympus as a whole were in profit last year, you really can't compare Olympus with JAL.

Andy

shenstone
19th January 2010, 12:58 PM
I have to agree with Ian on this one. Whilst I think that Oly do make some strange decisions in terms of who they do business with and how. I think this says a lot more about Jessops and the relationship from that side.

I mean ... http://www.hemscott.com/news/rna/detached.do?id=87617337605311 Who are they even doing business with ?

Regards
Andy

Ian
19th January 2010, 01:03 PM

There is no compariosn. JAL has been a huge loss maker for over half a decade and has been bailed-out by the Japanese government in the past.

That said having flown business class several times on JAL - I like the service!

Ian

gno
19th January 2010, 01:29 PM
There is no compariosn. JAL has been a huge loss maker for over half a decade and has been bailed-out by the Japanese government in the past.

Ian

Whether they were making a profit or loss was not the point. At the backend of 2009 the Japenese Government stated that they were addressing these financial problems and that a restructuring in combination with an American Airline was on the cards.
A few months later 2010 they file for bankruptcy.
The point that I was trying to make was that a couple of months is a long time in business and things can change dramatically in that time. I this period of recession or stagnent ecomomic growth it does no harm to reassure the customer.

Regards

Gavin

oly_om
19th January 2010, 01:51 PM
Whether they were making a profit or loss was not the point. At the backend of 2009 the Japenese Government stated that they were addressing these financial problems and that a restructuring in combination with an American Airline was on the cards.
The point that I was trying to make was that a couple of months is a long time in business and things can change dramatically in that time. I this period of recession or stagnent ecomomic growth it does no harm to reassure the customer.

Regards

Gavin

The point is, they were in trouble before - as with a lot of airlines. This isn't the same as with Olympus.

Ian
19th January 2010, 02:04 PM

Regards

Gavin

It's my understanding that the bankruptcy move is part of the strategic plan to restructure JAL. It will enable the airline to be reduced in size and what remains will be more efficient and so more attractive to a potential buyer, like American Airlines.

Ian

cinders
19th January 2010, 03:01 PM
Jessops at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol have the E-620 body for £399. I asked whether that included the grip and the answer was inconclusive. The girl I spoke to said that they didn't have any grips in stock - just bodies, but the box the camera comes in said that a grip was included. Then she said that if a grip was supplied then it would have to be claimed back from Olympus :confused: along with the free battery. The Olympus website only lists the battery as a promotional item, not the grip. Anyway, at least the bodies are there at £399 if anyone wants to visit them. If you can get a grip out of them then so much the better.

Steve

I just phoned Cribbs Causeway and spoke to a girl who said they didn't have any and would have to order them from Olympus and would take a month - but still at £399 at least....

Cindy

Wreckdiver
19th January 2010, 03:14 PM
I just phoned Cribbs Causeway and spoke to a girl who said they didn't have any and would have to order them from Olympus and would take a month - but still at £399 at least....

Cindy

They had some last night, as long as they will order them in and gurantee that the price won't change.

Steve

TheStrummer
21st January 2010, 02:19 AM
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ are great, as is http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk

Try those!

Toonman
6th March 2010, 06:06 AM
Well said Stephen!

Ken Lister
6th March 2010, 04:53 PM
Wandered into the Newcastle upon Tyne branch yesterday while waiting for one of my motorbikes to go through it's MOT test.

An assistant was busy dressing a dedicated Olympus branded floor display unit - EPs. M 4/3 lenses, and kits - E520, @£300, E620 @£400.

Canon etc were in the wall cabinets along with everything else. Jessops can not afford to ignore Olympus as they now have(with Panasonic) 10% of the interchangeable lens camera market with micro 4/3rds.

ccunsworth
18th March 2010, 10:10 PM
Jessops told me that Olympus were discontinuing the E620 becuse it was being updated. I asked what it would be called - he said he "thought it would be the 50" I assume he meant E650. I have checked on lots of sites but can't find any mension of it.
Prices that importers pay for cameras fluctuate enormously due to exchange rates and quantities purchased. Maybe Jessops can't buy E620s at a competetive price so are just giving up. It looks like high street photographic shops will soon disappear entirely going 100% on-line.

snaarman
19th March 2010, 08:25 AM
"Its been discontinued"

yeah, right.... the number of times I have heard that one from a salesman. It can be translated as "we haven't got any on them. We have got these instead. Don't go away, buy something"

Pete

forester
19th March 2010, 12:27 PM
"Its been discontinued"

yeah, right.... the number of times I have heard that one from a salesman. It can be translated as "we haven't got any on them. We have got these instead. Don't go away, buy something"

Pete

Most of Jessops staff are just like estate agents, lie like hell, the trouble is many believe it.*yes (the so called training the last MD gave) he told some whoppers.:rolleyes:
Soon Jessops will not be stocking anything of value, I can’t see many manufacturers supplying them before payment. :eek:
They said the same about Pentax cameras and now Sigma lenses can only be bought by special order, the only cameras they actually stock are Canon and Nikon and not many of those, also third party lenses only Tamron (intro20-20).

Kedlestonia
28th March 2010, 04:20 PM
Think I may have got the last e620 from Jessops, Milton Keynes sold me the demonstration twin lens kit for £499 and do not expect to get any more stock. The Olympus case on the wall had nothing from Olympus in it.

It looks like they are just stocking the Pen system. Same at our local branch of Jacobs.

colin stares
28th March 2010, 07:33 PM
Just for your info currys have a E600 listed for £329, its very similar to e620 but with some functions removed, butnis still great value.
Regards
Colin

Toonman
2nd April 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Cinders. Jessops are going through a lot of problems and restructering. They have already booted out Pentax under some flimsy statement. I believe they are going for the mainstream brands so as to keep their costs down. Stocking 5 or 6 brands for Jessops right now is not finacially viable for them. Saying that I struggle to find a Jessops with any reasoanable stocking levels i'm sick of hearing "we can order it in for you", for me the company have gone right down the pan. One Gold star for them though. The Darlington branch went to great efforts to locate me an Olympus hand grip for my E600 and found one in Dundee, £25 all in, a bargain.

Adam

StephenL
2nd April 2010, 11:50 AM
My understanding, from off-the-record conversations with senior Jessops staff, is that they are concentrating on micro 4/3 and therefore the Pen series.

DanH56
20th April 2010, 01:22 PM
Not really certain what Jessops are doing, but seeing these threads must have stuck in my mind. I was in Jessops in Croydon today and spotted what was obviously the "last one on the shelf" E620 + 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses. Had a chat with the manager and came away having bought the kit for £450, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Also hoping it will prod me into taking more photos as I have been stupidly tied up with way too much work over the last few months. Time to redress that balance.

cinders
20th April 2010, 03:45 PM
It's a lovely little camera - enjoy it!

Alan_UK
19th May 2010, 09:16 PM
It's not just Jessops who are dumping 4/3.
Olympus themselves are dumping it.
Read this.
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/ir/brief/
No mention of 4/3 at all.
I guess they realise that m43 is what many people want and they are happy to give them what they want.
Maximum profit for a minimal product.
Time to consider Pecanikony...

forester
19th May 2010, 09:39 PM
Read this.
I guess they realise that m43 is what many people want and they are happy to give them what they want.
Why? nothing wrong with what I've got, works fine, does what I want.
jump ship if you want to, but Canon are bringing out new cameras every five minutes, does that mean you have to change every time they do?:confused:
Perhaps your Nikon D200 is out of date!?

Toonman
20th May 2010, 03:27 PM
@Alan

Alan do you think that Nikon, Canon and others do not change or about to change priorities. I spoke to a Pro 'Tog' today who uses a Konica Minolta 7D...Yep they stopped making cameras a few years ago now but, it took great pictures when new and still does....good camers don't get worse. The kit you have will probabally be just as good in a number of years time. You could try Samsung...they were going to be the biggest DSLR manufacturer in a matter of a couple of years, till they ditched the idea after two models! Now they have produced a Micro or mini type dslr...thats hardly any smaller than my E600!

Or...Sony who were also going to be 'number one' in a matter of two years. they have managed to churn out the ugliest plastiky cameras I have ever had the misfortune to witness! And as for the new Sony 'baby'....it's as ugly as sin.

Or Pentax who are in such decline they do not know which way to turn next (such a shame for a noble brand and followers).

Olympus has produced great, solid, value for money products and I believe will continue to do so.

Adam

Ross the fiddler
21st May 2010, 03:05 AM
Read this.

They certainly didn't say that they are going to discontinue 4/3's. The market is taking off with micro 4/3's, so why wouldn't they put more investment into an obviously successful line. There will still be DSLR's for the more serious use & options (even though they will produce a more high end micro 4/3's). You don't use pistols when you need to bring out the big guns.*yo

Ross

Ian
21st May 2010, 08:25 AM
Four Thirds is NOT discontinued and there are no plans to discontinue E-System DSLRs. You will just have to trust me on that. All along, I have said that Photokina in September is the expected event for long-awaited Four Thirds system news. It's not ideal, and you won't hear Olympus saying anything about this in detail, but I will eat my proverbial hat if this doesn't pan out. I'd even say that news will be earlier than Photokina, but again, you only have my word for it. In the mean time, Four Thirds cameras still work as well as the did yesterday and they will work just as well tomorrow, so I am personally not going to use up any more energy through angst! :)

Ian

forester
21st May 2010, 08:43 AM
It looks like Olympus should start the leeks soon about the new cameras soon .*yes
The “Rumour Mill” is stating to just get a bit negative.:confused:
The person who started this up again has a NikonD200, say no more! *moon :D
Richard

baldyb
21st May 2010, 10:08 AM
I was reading a thread on dpreview last night which was talking about a new e-6XX later this year which would incorporate the latest e-pl1 technology including a video button :confused:

forester
21st May 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi,
You can always tell when a new model is coming out - cash backs - Special offers - and 0 stocks in stores.
I just wish Oly would get a move on, I can't stand the excitement ;) :D
*chr
Richard

wanderer
21st May 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm very happy with my E-3 and my E-500 as a fallback.
If a new top end Olympus is announced I don't expect to consider buying another body for a couple of years at least.
Currently my interest is in lenses and I think I'll take the plunge before the emergency budget as I reckon on 2.5% increase in VAT. (possibly more)
I wonder if that is what is persuading sellers to make offers.

Also if any new camera has a doubling or near doubling of pixels so the Raw files will likewise increase and then you have to consider is your computer up to it.:(

The bottom line is; can I take a a half decent photo? I only half think so.

Duncan
*chr

cinders
21st May 2010, 10:39 AM
I can just imagine my partner's reaction if I told him that there was a new model out!....Ooops

Ross the fiddler
21st May 2010, 12:15 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the next Ex & Exx models & hopefully another new lens or two, but my E30 & E520 will have to do me for a few years yet. Maybe I might be able to get another lens before then (100 or 150 macro). I'm enjoying what I have & as Ian said "I am personally not going to use up any more energy through angst!" I just need to use up energy making money instead. (Working from home unfortunately allows easy access to the computer & all the time & energy can be just wasted).

Ross