PDA

View Full Version : HK Based Ebay Shop- Roxsen

SkinHead
17th January 2010, 03:39 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone have any business experience with this shop? I wanted to get the Ownuser Battery grip for the e-30 however one of their shipping conditions state that they declare the item as a gift to avoid custom duties...does this always work? I'm thinking if it gets intercepted, i might end up paying more than the original grip by olympus.
thanks
Jude

StephenL
17th January 2010, 07:38 AM
I have used Roxsen on a number of occassions with no problems, and quick service. I've never noticed how they marked the parcels, but I've never paid extra duties.

photo_owl
17th January 2010, 08:21 AM
happy with Roxsen, less so about tax evasion.

if the buying equation only works for you if you avoid taxes then I don't see the point - you total liabilities could get quite high!

CaptainD
17th January 2010, 09:10 AM
I have bought some small value items from them in the past without any problems. I would always factor in duty and VAT into the price, you are far more likely these days to have your package examined on entry to the UK. If it is still a good deal fine.

Cheers

Chris *chr

PS I don't mind paying the duty and VAT but the added Parcel force charges always irritate me!

Barrie Norman
17th January 2010, 10:17 AM
I had the ownuser grip for my E500, it was the only one available, however there are some electronics in the grip which seemed to use up the charge, also with the E500 grip you had to use an addapter to fit the BLM-1 batteries, which was difficult in the field. I have an E30 fitted with the Olympus grip and I think that the extra cost is well worth it for the quality and build, you can get the original from ebay mine cost 148.00 inc shipping from Hong Konk for something like the grip which is unlikely to go wrong then buying from HK is not so much of a risk I wouldn't buy lenses because with out proof of paying UK tax Oly will not repair them so the warenty is void. you will only buy it once so why not buy the best.

skyman1
17th January 2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Jude
Here is a link to camera world HLD4 at 99.99 postage 7.99
just off Oxford Road 14 Wells Street
London, UK
W1T 3PB

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON07K000021&Prod_name=Olympus+HLD-4+Battery+Grip+for+E3%2FE30&CAT_CODE=&SUBCAT_CODE=

ownuser 75 + PO charge 8 = 83 +vat =97.52

or if you have just bought it

Buy an E-30 and get a power battery holder or flash for free!

The HLD-4 Power Battery Holder delivers maximum handling convenience while extending shooting time. What's more, a second shutter release button makes the HLD-4 perfect for portraits when shooting vertically.

And with the FL-36R wireless flash, you won't have to worry about messy cables while you concentrate on the perfect lighting.

Terms and Conditions

1. The Olympus E-30 Rev Up Your System Promotion offer consists of a free HLD-4 power grip or a free FL-36R remote flash for purchasers of a new Olympus E-30 who meet all other eligibility requirements.

2. The offer is valid for any purchase of a new E-30 (body only or any kit) between 01.10.2009 – 31.03.2010.

3. The newly purchased E-30 and application must be registered online at this link: https://www.olympus-consumer.com/en/promotions/e30promo2009.popup
Registration and claims must be received by 30.04.2010.

Proof of purchase.
To be eligible, participants must send in:
1. a copy of their purchase receipt,
2. a print out of their online registration form,
2. and the original barcode of the E-30 product box

MarkVarley
17th January 2010, 12:04 PM
I've used them for many things, IIRC soft boxes, radio triggers, mains flashes & pretty sure I got my e520 grip from them too (only because olympus don't make one), doesn't drain the batteries like some have reported, it's always on the camera and switched on and if that body isn't used for a week the batteries still have power.

SkinHead
17th January 2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and invaluable input. I've decided to take skyman1's advice(thank you) and ordered the grip from cameraworld. I wont even ask why they are selling it at such a low price*chr . I actually have bought an Ownuser grip for my E510 but not directly from HK, got that one from an ebay shop based in Poland which are under EUs trading regulations.
I should get the item within the week.
Jude

skyman1
17th January 2010, 11:29 PM
Ah i bit the bullet and got one as well couldn't resist such a good price for an Olympus one *yes

SkinHead
17th January 2010, 11:44 PM
I bought my e-30 from B and H in the US and having clicked the link re the promo, it says one can only redeem if the camera was bought from your home country.:(
Any chance i could get the FL36? i know im pushing my luck. :rolleyes:
Im thinking of registering my claim under the name of the addressee to which i had the camera delivered, that is in the US. any suggestions?
Thanks
Jude

skyman1
17th January 2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Jude
doesn't look like they are doing that promo in the states(check olympus america) you could try and do it in the UK but who knows it may work its up to you i belive some have and some haven't.

photo_owl
18th January 2010, 03:09 PM
nope - you can't get an Olympus Europe freebie (designed and operated in conjunction with European distributors) when you buy a unit from the Olympus US, in the same way as you can't get a US cash back on items purchased in the EU.

serial numbers are linked to the local market as are the warranty slips.