PDA

View Full Version : Filters and Holders

Jon*E
14th January 2010, 11:17 AM
Hi

I've decided to start experimenting with filters and am looking for some advice, I like the idea of the Cokin type so I can use the same filters with all my lenses and just but the different size adapter rings.
I'm not sure how much I will use them or if I will like the square type systems so don't want to spend too much to get started so wondered if anyone has used the cheaper holders (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Filter-mount-for-Cokin-P-58mm-Ring-Adapter-Holder-58_W0QQitemZ300359146540QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Came rasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN? hash=item45eeccdc2c)from ebay with the cheaper Kood filters.

Cheers

Jon

photo_owl
14th January 2010, 12:28 PM
don't know about them but have just ordered one as it's the cheapest way to get the 77mm adapter I was looking for!

definitely a good case of start cheap and move up if necessary though - your investment will be small and you will find out if you get on with them as well as the quality. Personally I much prefer them and use polariser and ND8 gradient a fair bit.

Ian
14th January 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi

I've decided to start experimenting with filters and am looking for some advice, I like the idea of the Cokin type so I can use the same filters with all my lenses and just but the different size adapter rings.
I'm not sure how much I will use them or if I will like the square type systems so don't want to spend too much to get started so wondered if anyone has used the cheaper holders (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Filter-mount-for-Cokin-P-58mm-Ring-Adapter-Holder-58_W0QQitemZ300359146540QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Came rasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN? hash=item45eeccdc2c)from ebay with the cheaper Kood filters.

Cheers

Jon

Kood filters are fine for experimentation. I use Cokin, and these can also be sourced relatively cheaply, but I only use graduated neutral density filters to save the highlights in clouds.

Make sure you get the right size holder for your lenses so that there is no clipping of the corners, especially for wide angle lenses.

Ian

z-dave
15th February 2010, 09:18 AM
Something that was mentioned to be that may be worth sharing, is consider the effects of light leaking on the square filters.

I don't think this is ever really a problem. It's just that I was considering some Cokin Squares or similar for high end ND filters to slow the shutter in daylight.

yorky
15th February 2010, 03:24 PM
Its never been a problem with me so far

Barrie Norman
15th February 2010, 05:44 PM
the most useful filters are ND Grads and a Circular Polariser, I use Cokin ND Grads I have a set of three and several Circular Polarising filters, you most use circular polariser with a DSLR otherwise the AF will not work. I hope this info is of use.