PDA

View Full Version : Unreasonably depressed...

HughofBardfield
5th February 2008, 10:49 AM
I decided to get rid of almost all of my old OM gear and to use the proceeds to buy a second camera body. Pending buying an E3 when prices fall (hopefully not too long to wait...), I decided to get an E1 to give me a weather-sealed option alongside the IS in my E510.

This was partially prompted by seeing some very good prices for 2nd hand E1s in Ffordes's ad in Amateur Photographer... so I emalied Ffordes and they gave me an estimate. Joy! More than enough to pay for one of the E1s, and enough left over for an HLD2 if I put a bit towards it. We agreed to do business...

Predictably, I suppose, my gear was worth less than their estimate. Not really complaining about that as I wasn't altogether surprised, although I was disappointed. What I think is "good" or "excellent" doesn't cut ice when they have to sell it. What I was narked about was that they had sold the cheapest E1s and only had a more expensive one left - despite them having agreed to hold one for me. I suppose it's my fault for not saying: "hold the cheapest one for me!" So credit card had to come out just for the camera...

It's so depressing when I think how much I paid for the OM kit 15-20 years ago. :(

So, no HLD2 for me. I shall just have to hope I manage to get one in the special offer on this group. Please, please, pretty please...

DTD
5th February 2008, 11:53 AM
Must try to sell my old OM gear it's almost not worth it.

Hiding_Pup
5th February 2008, 12:02 PM
How about selling your OM gear here, or over on 4/3User? There are lots of photographers, me included, who still use film as well as digital - and, here, we're already converts to Olympus anyway...

E-P1 fan
5th February 2008, 12:43 PM
Yep - I've got 2 old zuiko's in my E-1 outfit. They work very well too.

Xpres
5th February 2008, 01:07 PM
I love the old zuikos and use many and buy more - in fact I'm selling my kit lenses apart from the 14-54. They are very very good, especially the very cheap 50/1.8s. The very last ones are outstanding and knock spots of the digital stuff - even when used as a macro.
Don't sell them - use them.

DTD
5th February 2008, 02:36 PM
How about selling your OM gear here, or over on 4/3User? There are lots of photographers, me included, who still use film as well as digital - and, here, we're already converts to Olympus anyway...

Did have it advertised there for a bit will get things sorted out and advertise again thanks for the suggestion.

HughofBardfield
5th February 2008, 02:42 PM
I've kept the 50mm f1.8 as a low light lens for 4/3rds. My 85mm f2 has fungus, so they say (didn't see it myself), so I'm keeping that by default. I've done some vaguely promising IS experiments with my Sirius 500mm, so I'm keeping that as well (not worth anything anyway!), along with a Tamron 70-200, a Sirius 18-28 and a T32 for my remaining OM4 body. The OM2SP is coming back as well - allegedly a slightly sticky shutter at low speeds, which was news to me. Keeping them is partly sentiment, as well as the thought I might one day want to use film again. Pretty unlikely though.

I couldn't see much point in hanging on to my other lenses (21mm - got a disappointing price on fleabay, 28mm, 35mm, 135mm, 2X-A teleconverter and 200mm f5). I can't see that I would ever have used them on 4/3rds as the wider lenses are pretty useless FLs and the longer lenses too slow.

I said I was unreasonable...

PeterD
5th February 2008, 05:06 PM
I've kept the 50mm f1.8 as a low light lens for 4/3rds. My 85mm f2 has fungus, so they say (didn't see it myself), so I'm keeping that by default. I've done some vaguely promising IS experiments with my Sirius 500mm, so I'm keeping that as well (not worth anything anyway!), along with a Tamron 70-200, a Sirius 18-28 and a T32 for my remaining OM4 body. The OM2SP is coming back as well - allegedly a slightly sticky shutter at low speeds, which was news to me. Keeping them is partly sentiment, as well as the thought I might one day want to use film again. Pretty unlikely though.

I couldn't see much point in hanging on to my other lenses (21mm - got a disappointing price on fleabay, 28mm, 35mm, 135mm, 2X-A teleconverter and 200mm f5). I can't see that I would ever have used them on 4/3rds as the wider lenses are pretty useless FLs and the longer lenses too slow.

I said I was unreasonable...

Hugh,

When you do upgrade to an E3 the IS system will work with your old lenses with the latest firmware upgrade. You can dial in the focal length and it will compensate for you:D

Kind regards

PeterD