PDA

View Full Version : ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Discontinued?

gno
12th January 2010, 02:18 PM
Hi All,

Just placed an order for the Olympus 70-300 mm with BestCameras (http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Olympus_Lenses.html) only to be told that Olympus tell them that this model is now discontinued, seems very stange in view of its popularity.
Anyone heard anything about this or do you think perhaps they are unable to fulfill the order at that price.

Regards

Gavin

yorky
12th January 2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe they are doing an upgrade version, seems strange though. I alway's thought it was a rebadged Sigme?

StephenL
12th January 2010, 02:28 PM
Quality's too good for it to be a Sigma! The optical design internally is different, I'm told.

I alway's thought it was a rebadged Sigme?

Ian
12th January 2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe they are doing an upgrade version, seems strange though. I alway's thought it was a rebadged Sigme?

The 70-300 obviously has Sigma origins, but in reality they are fairly distant cousins as the Olympus version's focus mechanism (uses fly-by-wire focus control and is imager AF compatible) has been completely re-engineered. They look quite different externally, too.

I'd be very surprised if the 70-300 was being discontinued unless an improved one was on the way.

Ian

yorky
12th January 2010, 02:38 PM
If you are looking for one try camerabox.

Ian
12th January 2010, 02:51 PM
The only new lens on the horizon from Olympus for Four Thirds is the long-awiated 100mm macro. I expect we have another case of a sales person who, unable to fulfil the order, decides to underline this fact with a spurious comment not worth the air that was breathed in saying it.

Ian

Ian
12th January 2010, 03:14 PM
Officially denied by Olympus UK (and not a 'minion' either).

Ian

dbutch
12th January 2010, 03:14 PM
Any news on the 100mm Ian?:D

Ian
12th January 2010, 03:35 PM
Any news on the 100mm Ian?:D

Cheeky! *whack

Seriously, I'm holding out for a PMA presentation next month, but that's only a hunch.

Ian

gno
12th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Hi all,

It would appear now that Best Cameras (http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Lenses_21.html)are no longer selling Olympus lenses.

I wonder why that might be, too cheap and they have had their supply cut off?
I was going to buy from Ian, but the bestcamera price included the uk 2 year warranty while Kerso's is the International 1 year.
I'll get in touch with Ian tomorow.

Regards

Gavin

oly_om
13th January 2010, 09:37 PM
Cheeky! *whack

Seriously, I'm holding out for a PMA presentation next month, but that's only a hunch.

Ian

Please let it have SWD and a focus limiter and be about 1500 or less!

Andy

Meogeo
14th January 2010, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

It would appear now that Best Cameras (http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Lenses_21.html)are no longer selling Olympus lenses.

I wonder why that might be, too cheap and they have had their supply cut off?
I was going to buy from Ian, but the bestcamera price included the uk 2 year warranty while Kerso's is the International 1 year.
I'll get in touch with Ian tomorow.

Regards

Gavin

It looks like Best Cameras as pulled away from Olympus all together, maybe they told you false information about the 70-300 lens being discontinued, only glad I bought this lens at 249.99 while it was in there sale, and with the 25 rebate it makes this lens a good buy.

Gavin did you happen to get the 70-300 ordered from Best Cameras before they sold out? I do hope so.

Ian
14th January 2010, 08:40 AM
It looks like Best Cameras as pulled away from Olympus all together, maybe they told you false information about the 70-300 lens being discontinued, only glad I bought this lens at 249.99 while it was in there sale, and with the 25 rebate it makes this lens a good buy.

Gavin did you happen to get the 70-300 ordered from Best Cameras before they sold out? I do hope so.

Have you received your cashback? If they were selling grey imports, I'd have expected your claim to have been rejected.

Ian

Meogeo
14th January 2010, 08:52 AM
Have you received your cashback? If they were selling grey imports, I'd have expected your claim to have been rejected.

Ian

Never thought this to be a grey import, how do I tell, I honestly thought I was buying a proper Olympus lens from a UK dealer, I have sent off for the cash back and it might be to early because only posted the letter on Monday.

Ian
14th January 2010, 10:15 AM
Never thought this to be a grey import, how do I tell, I honestly thought I was buying a proper Olympus lens from a UK dealer, I have sent off for the cash back and it might be to early because only posted the letter on Monday.

At 249, it's likely to be an import - the standard discounted price is 305. But I'll be interested to find out if the cashback gets 'filtered'. If so, you'd still be better off as the cashback effecively makes UK stock 280.

Ian

PS I was going to suggest asking them if their stock was UK-sourced, but after telling people the 70-300 is discontinued I'm not sure if we could trust the response!

gno
14th January 2010, 12:04 PM
At 249, it's likely to be an import - the standard discounted price is 305. But I'll be interested to find out if the cashback gets 'filtered'. If so, you'd still be better off as the cashback effecively makes UK stock 280.

Ian

PS I was going to suggest asking them if their stock was UK-sourced, but after telling people the 70-300 is discontinued I'm not sure if we could trust the response!

BestCameras stated UK stock on the website at the time, that and the low price coupled with the 2 year warranty and cash back made it a good deal.
That's the reason I tried to buy from them.

As to the cashback not being available, that doesn't seem to be the case as some forum members have recieved cash back on lenses bought outside the UK.

Regards

Gavin

Meogeo
5th February 2010, 10:11 AM

Ian

Hi there Ian just to let you know that today 25.00 was put into my account via Olympus so the Lens must of been UK Stock, I do find myself very fortunate to have got this bargain, they only come round once in a blue moon.

gno
5th February 2010, 11:02 AM
Nice to hear Geoff, I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.

Regards

Gavin

benvendetta
5th February 2010, 01:49 PM
BestCameras arn't now listing Oly lenses on their website :(

edmund473
6th February 2010, 08:50 AM
Have you tried here.
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-olympus-70-300mm-f4-5-6-zuiko-digital-ed-lens.htm

Ian
6th February 2010, 08:56 AM
My understanding is that BestCameras are grey importers. I expect they will only stock items they can get good deals on from outside suppliers.

Ian