PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto 190xdb and 486rc2

stevednp3
11th January 2010, 06:24 PM
I badly need a new tripod and with so many to choose from I have ordered this kit on impuse as it seamed a good deal 80 for a tripod and ball head. Does anyone know if it's any good. Got to be better than the cheap 30 one I use at the moment,well I hope:rolleyes:

Ken Lister
11th January 2010, 08:40 PM
I badly need a new tripod and with so many to choose from I have ordered this kit on impuse as it seamed a good deal 80 for a tripod and ball head. Does anyone know if it's any good. Got to be better than the cheap 30 one I use at the moment,well I hope:rolleyes:

I have a 190XB pro and find it excellent, and yes it is far, far better than the 30 'Argos special' I used to use! As for the head, it is a matter of preference, I don't like ball heads, but it is likely to be much sturdier than what you have at present. My 'cheapo' had a plastic head which sagged to the right when the camera was on it!

stevednp3
11th January 2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Ken, I do the usual thing buy something and then look for reviews later :o

Sounds like you had the same tripod I have now as thats the exact problem I have and thought I have put up with it for long enough, time to get a proper tripod ha ha *chr

Zuiko
11th January 2010, 09:12 PM
The Manfrotto you describe is a quality tripod offering a good compromise between stability and portability. Type of head is a personal choice but I've always preferred a B&S. I'm sure you will not be disappointed! :)

joeletx
11th January 2010, 09:58 PM
I have the 190XB and 486RC2 ball head. I love the ball head and found the latch works very well with the quick snap and lock mounting plate. The heaviest gear I mounted on it regularly are the E-3 with battery grip and the 70-300mm. I took picture of the moon and found the tripod provide sharp picture.

Joe

stevednp3
11th January 2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Joe the heaviest I have is e-30 and 70-300mm so should be perfect for me, cant wait to receive it now :D *chr

edit

oh if it takes the battery grip too, then I cant ask for anymore, nice one !

stevednp3
16th January 2010, 04:07 PM
Received my new tripod and head today and I have to say im very pleased, such an upgrade from the cheap one I was using (which I'll keep for off camera flash photos). I love the ball head and we are going to get along quite nicely :D

As the head and tripod came fitted, and there was no instructions, does anyone know how to get the head off, as I would like to try it on my manfrotto monopod, dont know if that is a good idea, but wanted to see :rolleyes:

*chr

David M
16th January 2010, 04:20 PM
Received my new tripod and head today and I have to say im very pleased, such an upgrade from the cheap one I was using (which I'll keep for off camera flash photos). I love the ball head and we are going to get along quite nicely :D

As the head and tripod came fitted, and there was no instructions, does anyone know how to get the head off, as I would like to try it on my manfrotto monopod, dont know if that is a good idea, but wanted to see :rolleyes:

*chr

The head screws off but Manfrotto tripods have (or had the last time I handled one) three grub screws in the platform the head screws on to that lock the head to the tripod.

You need to loosen those screws before trying to remove the head. You access them from the underside of the platform so you'll need to raise the centre column to get at them.

stevednp3
16th January 2010, 05:28 PM
The head screws off but Manfrotto tripods have (or had the last time I handled one) three grub screws in the platform the head screws on to that lock the head to the tripod.

You need to loosen those screws before trying to remove the head. You access them from the underside of the platform so you'll need to raise the centre column to get at them.

Cheers David, Yes there are 3 screws underneath and once they are loosened the head screws off, thanks very much

Not going to work on my monopod, so may have to invest in a dedicated monopod head like the Mn-234.

I have been screwing my monopod directly into the camera till now, but find I need a little more flexiblity

*chr