PDA

View Full Version : North South divide

Ijay37
4th February 2008, 06:45 PM
When they have a shipwreck down south they get motorbikes , electrical goods and all sorts of goodies, what do we get up north,"Chocolate biscuits Ready dunked!;)

ndl0071
4th February 2008, 08:04 PM
Oh I dunno, our latest one was beaches awash with timber, OK if you're into DIY I suppose, personally I would have preferred the chocolate biscuits:)

tom
4th February 2008, 08:10 PM
The bics would have been fine, but the gulls licked all the chocolate off. The lady on the left is clearly disgusted about that.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/hesperus_1.jpg

Mind you, the locals will have the last laugh. In the foreground, you can see the rotting stumps that are all that remains of the last ship blown ashore in these parts!
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/hesperus_2.jpg

The Skipper he stood beside the helm,
His pipe was in his mouth,
And he watched how the veering flaw did blow
The smoke now West, now South.

Then up and spake an old Sailor,
Had sailed the Spanish Main,
"I pray thee, put into yonder port,
for I fear a hurricane.

"Last night the moon had a golden ring,
And to-night no moon we see!"
The skipper, he blew whiff from his pipe,
And a scornful laugh laughed he.

Tom

Ellie
4th February 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm quite envious of you having seen this interesting feature on the shoreline.

Is it meant to be a replacement for Gormley's statues? ;)

tom
5th February 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm quite envious of you having seen this interesting feature on the shoreline.

Is it meant to be a replacement for Gormley's statues? ;)

Ellie

The way it's looking, the ship's likely to be here for longer than Mr Gormley's statues!

It also reminds me of a (true) story about HMS Foudroyant, which was a celebrated battleship wrecked off the coast of Blackpool in the late 19th century. It clattered into the North Pier before finally coming to rest close to the shore.
By all accounts, it wasn't long before some local wag and business man erected a sign which read:

The Hearts of Oak that Nelson strode can now be bought on Dickson Road.

:D

Tom

Barr1e
5th February 2008, 06:48 PM
Tom -

I like your pix.
Taken in dry weather too.

Is that a tripod holding the vessel up? :)

Regards. Barr1e

Scapula Memory
5th February 2008, 07:39 PM
More to the point Barry whos that bloke in the sea wearing a red jacket?

tom
5th February 2008, 07:48 PM
Tom -

I like your pix.
Taken in dry weather too.

Is that a tripod holding the vessel up? :)

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks Barr1e. Yes, it was a nice day - pretty much the first one this year:rolleyes:

And yes, you're right - it is being held up by a tripod - a Manfrotto 190CL I think.
Only joking:) In fact, what you can see is stuff that should be strapped to the deck slowly but surely slipping over the side.

The whole thing is gradually going pear-shaped. When it first ran aground, they thought they could re-float it "within hours". That was subsequently changed to "within a few days" and now thay are talking about "several weeks". Perhaps they should convert it to a sea-bird colony like Bass Rock or something, instead. Would make for some great pics!

Tom

Barr1e
5th February 2008, 09:28 PM
More to the point Barry whos that bloke in the sea wearing a red jacket?

I have to confess I saw him yet I didn't if you know what I mean :confused: - it looks pretty deep out there, hence my hesitation - perhaps it's Davy Jones!

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
5th February 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks Barr1e. Yes, it was a nice day - pretty much the first one this year:rolleyes:

And yes, you're right - it is being held up by a tripod - a Manfrotto 190CL I think.
Only joking:) In fact, what you can see is stuff that should be strapped to the deck slowly but surely slipping over the side.

The whole thing is gradually going pear-shaped. When it first ran aground, they thought they could re-float it "within hours". That was subsequently changed to "within a few days" and now thay are talking about "several weeks". Perhaps they should convert it to a sea-bird colony like Bass Rock or something, instead. Would make for some great pics!

Tom

Birds - perhaps we'll come up with our long lens. :D Any enterprising skipper offering trips around the new landmark? :D

Regards. Barr1e

tom
6th February 2008, 03:40 PM
Birds - perhaps we'll come up with our long lens. :D Any enterprising skipper offering trips around the new landmark? :D

Regards. Barr1e

Alas, Barrie - the local plod have just imposed an 'exclusion zone' round the Hesperus. Mind you, with your long lens you could bypass that bit of petty officialdom without ever leaving the comfort of the promenade :D

Tom

Ellie
6th February 2008, 11:04 PM
- the local plod have just imposed an 'exclusion zone' round the Hesperus.
I wonder if it's to stop anybody trying to move in - looks a handy sort of place, good sea views and all that ;)

Nick Temple-Fry
7th February 2008, 01:19 AM
Alas, Barrie - the local plod have just imposed an 'exclusion zone' round the Hesperus.
Tom

Probably to keep the local scrotes from 'profiting' and maybe killing themselves in the process.

Chances are the contents of the ships medics cabinet plus any personal possessions left in the cabins could keep any 'opportunistic' individual happy for a long time.

Mind you wrecks, historically, have always been a gift to the ingenious.

Nick

Meogeo
7th February 2008, 08:08 AM
Alas, Barrie - the local plod have just imposed an 'exclusion zone' round the Hesperus. Mind you, with your long lens you could bypass that bit of petty officialdom without ever leaving the comfort of the promenade :D

Tom

Does this not suggest that we are in a police state, I allways was led to beleive ship wrecks were open season. And that ship looks like it is wrecked on the beach. Surely our beaches are public and not private!

Ellie
7th February 2008, 12:45 PM
I had to chuckle at one of the reasons the BBC has given for the exclusion zone

"They're walking out along the sand at low water," a coastguard spokesman said.

There's a bit more on the MCA site (http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-press-releases?id=5473AA8EC893B097&m=2&y=2008) It could get really interesting to watch, especially if a big crane starts to sink into the wet sand.

Meogeo
7th February 2008, 02:44 PM
Well North west sands are renowned for moving, and then there is the sinking sand horrible stuff.