PDA

View Full Version : Selling older models

cinders
5th January 2010, 02:49 PM
Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to get a good deal when selling off older models?
I've not tried selling on e-bay - any thoughts?
Presumably trying to part-ex an entry-level model isn't going to get you too far. The camera shops I've talked to are overrun with old 410's.
How about other internet options like 'Preloved' ?
Or how about selling it separately to retailers like LCE?

Or is it better to hang on to it for a while and see how the trend goes. One might be able to sell it privately or at a fair. Or keep it as a spare - except that one might need the cash!

Any suggestions?

*snowflake*snowflake*snowflake

EH1
5th January 2010, 02:53 PM
Just advertise it for sale on this forum for the price you would like, & see what happens!............................you have nothing to loose ;)

cinders
5th January 2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, have now done so....!

Have put a higher price on it than I think I'll get eventually, but am open to offers.
*snowflake *snowflake *snowflake

photo_owl
5th January 2010, 05:36 PM
my experiences on here are that you will get a realistic price.

LCE will give about 15%-25% below that, depending on your personal relationship with them and buying habits (with them). In this they are more than fair.

You might get more on eBay for this sort of thing but only in ready to use condition/packages from 'uninformed purchasers'; in the same way as people pay more for new items than they can be purchesd for new elsewhere!

Finally are you sure the lens you have with it is the 14-45? This was not marketed as a package as far as I am aware; the 410 was packaged with the 14-42 (or this and the 40-150 as well) except in a limited (SE?) package through Dixons/Currys where the cheaper 17.5-45 was substituted.

Ian
5th January 2010, 05:40 PM
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away :D when I used to work behind the counter in a photographic store (OK, I eventually became the manager - but that's another story!) our policy was to buy in second hand gear at around a third of the price it was worth sticking it in the window for...

Ian

cinders
5th January 2010, 06:56 PM
ooops yes, it was the 14-42! Sorry, slip of the mouse....